Thread: New guy here need some help gentlemen

New guy here need some help gentlemen

I am a new member here but do have and extensive firearms background . I just purchased a Mod 10 with threaded 20" barrel(threaded) ,black stock with flared fore end ,blind mag well, prefix N. In short I am trying to figure out exactly what I have ?
    I bought the gun because in a previous line of work the unit I was in trained a lot of LE snipers most of the smaller depts. & S.D's had Savage tactical's for I assume to be budget reasons; and both I and the cadre members were always impressed at how well they shot
    Thanks for any input

An improved description of the stock might help.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/902161710
    22 pictures
    I got it ��

Looks like a distributor exclusive combo. Model 10 SBA missing the Bushnell scope.

Basic Member
    Welcome to the club. :)

Label says Model 10 SBA. Distributor exclusives are pretty common with Savage. I have an Axis that was a special run made for Walmart. The 12FV is a 'budget' varmint rifle made for Cabela's.

I'd just accept what the label says and be satisfied that I have a short barrel .308 with a 20MOA rail and threaded muzzle. Doesn't say Accustock on it so it may be one of the common flexible forearm models. Not really a big deal, just be aware that a lot of pressure on the forearm could cause it to touch the barrel. You can stiffen it up or get a new stock if you don't like the original.

Thanks guys I have found a little more out, about apparently they were made for Dicks Sporting ,bottom line I am into it cheap . My armorer buddy former All Guard and Larry Racine (Palma Shooter) are really into Savages .
    As I stated earlier when I was at WTBN Quantico many moons ago we ran a fair amount of LE precision rifle trading all of us doing that were impressed with the Savage Police Models .
    I have some legacy 700 stuff including a 6 digit unworked action .I am looking for something envelope and weight like a Tango 51 which is doable but if I can get this little rifle around 3/4 moa why bother. Heck I can sell my legacy stuff and double my $ or more. We will see.

Basic Member
    NCShooter,

First, welcome.

I have 8 Savages and all shot great out of the box.
    I hope you have the same positive experiences that I have had.

As charlie b has said, I also think you will find that the hidden mag stocks tend to flex a bit as the rifle fires. It is more noticeable as the caliber increases.
    On my .223 with the hidden mag the flex wasn't really noticeable, but on my hidden mag 6.5 Creedmoor flex was noticeable, and on the .308 hidden mag, flex was very noticeable.

I have two .308 Law Enforcement Savages, one is a hidden magazine the other has a AccuStock with a detachable mag. The Accustock has a
    I replaced the flexible stock on the .308 with a Bell & Carlson adjustable stock because I found it to be a bit too short for me. The aluminum stiffener eliminated the flexing and the accuracy improved by about 10%.
    Based on that experience, when I found the 6.5 mm Creedmoor hidden mag was flexing, I changed to an Oryx chassis with a detachable AICS mag.
    The Oryx cost $400 - which was more than I paid for the rifle. However, the accuracy improved so I felt it was worth it.
    I liked the feel of the Oryx chassis so much that I also changed the .223 hidden mag to an Oryx chassis and found it also improved accuracy.

Both my .308s average have essentially identical long term averages for all the 5-round groups recorded with the current stocks (0.341 at 100 yards for more than 100 groups for each rifle from a bench with F-Class bipods and a rear bag). The difference in their long term averages works out to 0.0007 when calculated but that difference is much smaller than the standard deviation of the group measurements so it means nothing (one puff of wind could have accounted for that difference).

Watch out for bullet weight preferences in you rifle.
    Even though both my .308 rifles have 24-inch Savage barrels with essentially identical group averages, they perform differently with bullet weights and bullet shapes.
    But, one of the .308s is most accurate with 155 grain bullets and the other is most accurate with 175 grain bullets even though the barrels are virtually the same.
    I wouldn't assume anything about what bullets your new rifle will prefer. You'll just have to experiment to find out.

Basic Member
    CFJ, did you ever try 4166 in your .308 testing? I have had decent luck with the Hornady 155ELD match bullets and Varget but my stash of Varget is getting low.

Any of guys venture to guess if that is center feed or staggered ? I found some ones in a gun shop in AK their website said top feed .

Basic Member
    charlie b,

I have tried IMR4166 in both of my .308s but only recently, so the number of groups shot is somewhat smaller than the other powders.
    I primarily have shot 5-round groups with two different rifles with Sierra Match Kings or Tipped Match Kings once I found that they performed the best.
    I have shot a lot of different bullets and some other powders with 3 round groups when I first got the two rifles around 2012 and 2013, and that allowed me to concentrate on what worked best.

In the 10 FCP-K IMR4166 has the best overall average when comparing powders for all bullet weights:
    IMR4166 has an average of 0.406 for 34 groups of all bullet weights.
    IMR4064 has an average of 0.423 for 125 groups of all bullet weights.
    H4895 has an average of 0.441 for 71 groups of all bullet weights.
    N140 has an average of 0.444 for 74 groups of all bullet weights

But, 175 grain bullets hold 6 of the top 10 Powder bullet averages with 4 combinations averaging under 0.4 inches for 5 round groups.

In the 10 FP, my older .308 with a replacement Savage barrel (after 6,500 rounds):
    N140 has an average of 0.412 for 29 groups of all bullet weights.
    IMR4166 has an average of 0.417 for 46 groups of all bullet weights.
    IMR4064 has an average of 0.438 for 64 groups of all bullet weights.
    H4895 has an average of 0.457 for 55 groups of all bullet weights.

Since this is an old rifle, I haven't shot as many groups with IMR4166 but IMR4166 holds the 1st and 4th slots for powder-bullet combination average with 0.327 and 0.392 averages.

I guess I probably should do some work getting the data together and post my .308 results with the two rifles like I did with the .223 12 FV and the 6.5mm CM 12 FV.
    It might be helpful for those who shoot .308s to see how different powders and bullets performed.

Basic Member
    Well, I for one would love that compilation of data. :) It does sound like I need to try the 4166 to see how it does. I like these powders that are more stable with changes in temp.

Basic Member
    charlie b,
    With the temperature changes that you experience in New Mexico during the day, I would think temperature insensitive powders would help your consistency.
    Even here in Northern VA, when I use temperature sensitive powders, I use hourly temperature forecasts to get close to the temperature conditions that I will be shooting under. Fortunately, our range has covered shooting positions so they are in the shade. Being out of direct sunlight keeps temperature extremes less severe.

It will take me a little time to gather the data for my .308s together but I will get busy.
    I'll probably post the results in the Ammunition and Reloading forum.

Basic Member
    NCschooter, I am 99.5% sure Your rifle has a Center Feed Magazine. Welcome Aboard

Quote Originally Posted by GrenGuy View Post
    NCschooter, I am 99.5% sure Your rifle has a Center Feed Magazine. Welcome Aboard

+1

10T-sr

It will shoot a 168gn smk the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The load/ powder discussion is interesting I'm surprised some of you guys aren't shooting Reloader 15 I am so dated I hadn't heard of 4166.

Basic Member
    I like RL 15 but it is too temp sensitive for me. During the winter when the temps don't change as much it works really well. During the summer I have to reduce the charge a little. and I still have a change in POI during the day.

4166 is a modern version of 4064 (which is close to RL15). Temp insensitive and reduced copper fouling.

Basic Member
    NCshooter,

Back in 2008 and 2009, RL-15 was one of my standby powders for the original 10 FP barrel along with Varget, VV N150 and N140 and even H335.

That was when I was just getting serious about reloading and was still unaware of how much my inconsistency in set up technique was costing me in accuracy.
    I also have to admit that I probably didn't give some of the powder bullet combinations a good test because my 'shooter induced variations' were causing too many shots to go awry.

After trying lots of different powders, RL-15 gradually lost its luster as a top performer as I shot different powders.
    So, when I replaced the barrel on the 10 FP and added the 10 FCP-K, I concentrated on IMR4064, H4895, VV N140, and eventually IMR4166 Enduron when it introduced, because they performed best in the new barrel 10 FP and the 10 FCP-K.
    When I replaced the barrel in the 10 FP and bought the 10 FCP-K I also had an epiphany and realized to minimize my set up variations.
    That alone improved my accuracy by about 30%.
    I don't even consider the data gathered with the old barrel relevant since the group sizes were so inconsistent compared to what I can shoot today.

Varget is a good, very popular temperature insensitive powder and it performed almost as good as what I finally concentrated upon, but it is always difficult to find, especially when I was buying powder, so I bought what was available among those that performed best.

Reloder 15 is a go to powder for me. 308 and 7mm08. Everybody cries about its temperature sensitivity. Don't see a problem in the south.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Reloder 15 is a go to powder for me. 308 and 7mm08. Everybody cries about its temperature sensitivity. Don't see a problem in the south.
    I love RL-15 but it's been made from "unobtanium" around here for quite some time now, well before the Covid shortages.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Lot of good powder choices for the .308

Banned
    Welcome to the forum. Glad to see another enthusiast realizing the potential of the Savage action. Just wait ‘till you get into the joy of building them.