Thread: Savage 112 Model J .223

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Savage 112 Model J .223

Hello, everyone
    I am new to this site. I have 2 Savage Model 12's and shoot them both on a regular basis.
    I just bought a 112 Model J in .223. Model J is the intermediate length action, longer than a short, shorter than a long. Rifle was born in 1976, according to Savage. That was all they could tell me about this rifle, as they said their records didn't go back that far. My question is, will a long action bolt face work on this bolt? I measured from face to center of retaining pin on my 2 short actions, they will not interchange. I don't have a long action that I can check. Reason is, I bought this for my 12 yr old nephew to learn on, maybe get him into competition. At some point in the future, I would like to rebarrel this rifle in a 6.5 mm cartridge, which would require a bolt head change. Can any one help me out, or maybe tell me where I can buy either a bolt head or a complete bolt for the Model J? Thanks in advance for your time and help.
    Joeelvis

If you can't hit the side of a barn, move the barn.

Team Savage
    Got a 110 V (J Model) in .223. It's bolt head has been swapped many times with no issues.
    It's now a 6.8 SPC. Been a test bed for many caliber swaps.
    Bolt head swap? No Problem. Nothing odd or fancy. Swapped bolt heads from short and long actions with no issues.
    Mag rounds? Issues.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

When was your 110 born? Is it a true long action, or an intermediate? This is one of the things I like about Savage, ease of barrel/caliber swap. I will definitely stay away from magnum rounds....

Team Savage
    Can't remember the exact DOM but early 80s? It's an "inbetweener". (J) Longer than the now short actions and shorter than the now long actions.
    Bolt body, scope mounts all odd sizes. Looked for a long time trying to find a scope mount that "fit" all the holes in the action. Covers some holes and didn't match some others.
    Must have bought and returned 10 different mounts with no luck.
    Finally got a mount that fit the front holes and another mount that fit the back.
    Savage was known for odd ball hole mountings and not always straight. Hard to get the scope to mount straight.
    Got a rear mount with the windage adjustment. Shipped both mounts off, had them cut and re welded together. Fits EVERY HOLE and looks like a factory mount. Funny how many $$$ we'll spend on our hobbies.

That's what mine is, an in-between-er. You said you had changed the bolt head on yours? Mine is a .223, from front of bolt head to center on retainer hole in the shaft doesn't match the short actions, waiting to hear what the measurment is on a true LA. I have em's out to several companies. Would probably order the PTG, if it will work. Thanks much for the info.
    Joey

Team Savage
    Yours and mine are "short actions". Done .308,6 and 22 BR just by swapping bolt heads. Seems like I did run into a long action bolt head one time.