Thread: Model 12 3 position safety detent ball ?

Basic Member

Model 12 3 position safety detent ball ?

Posted this awhile back, but don't think I expressed my question correctly. I have a Savage 12 Target rifle that I replaced the complete trigger assembly with a Jard trigger assembly. After removing the trigger assembly, I had a small steel ball on the table with the original trigger assy. Is there a small steel ball that is used as a detent ball on the three position safety ? I checked the "blast shield" on the bolt, and it is NOT from there. Looked on Multichannel arms under Savage 12 parts, and it lists a "1/8" steel ball" for sale, but gives no other description than that.. Any clues as to where it came from would be a big help.....Thanks, rsbhunter
    If you stand for nothing, Then you'll fall for anything!

I believe a new Jard safety is needed with the trigger upgrade. At least they convinced me of it when I did a couple of mine.
    Semper Fi

Sgt USMC 66-72

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rsbhunter View Post
    Posted this awhile back, but don't think I expressed my question correctly. I have a Savage 12 Target rifle that I replaced the complete trigger assembly with a Jard trigger assembly. After removing the trigger assembly, I had a small steel ball on the table with the original trigger assy. Is there a small steel ball that is used as a detent ball on the three position safety ? I checked the "blast shield" on the bolt, and it is NOT from there. Looked on Multichannel arms under Savage 12 parts, and it lists a "1/8" steel ball" for sale, but gives no other description than that.. Any clues as to where it came from would be a big help.....Thanks, rsbhunter
    The only place I can think of that uses that size steel ball is the extractor. Did you suffer an overpressure event or do any work on the extractor where the ball may have dropped past the action and into the stock? Sometimes a blown primer will expel the extractor off the bolt face and the ball can go just about anywhere.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.