Thread: Looking for reputable gunsmith

Looking for reputable gunsmith

I have a Savage Axis XP in 308 that I bought a few years back as my first project rifle. I have already replaced the stock, trigger, scope, rail, ect. Now I am going to order a custom barrel from Bartlein Barrels in the next month or so to convert my 308 to a 7mm-08. I should only need to replace the barrel since the 7mm-08 is just a necked down 308 and therefore can use the same p-mags, bolt head, ect.

While I wait for 6+ months for my barrel to come in the mail, I will be looking for a reputable gunsmith who can help me finish this project by installing the new barrel, bed the action, true/lap the action, blueprint the action, ect.

I have already found this gunsmith and have heard really great things about Gordy: https://www.gordysprecision.com/blank/

Does anyone know of a comparable gunsmith or better closer to the Mobile, AL area? Is there anything else worth-while to have the gunsmith do such as a bolt sleeve?

Thanks for the help!

It sounds like you want to build something nearing custom rifle with a bolt sleeve.

My opinion. Sell what you have and by an Big Horn Origin by Zermat Arms. American Rifle Company probably has something around the same price. Bolt operation is a huge improvement and the trigger and primary extraction will be tied correctly. Your new barrel will work with it. You will need a barrel nut and a trigger and have a great action with a good resale value. It is the action you are after without having to pay a smith 80-100 dollars an hour to fix it up. It has a Remington 700 footprint so many stocks are available and it uses Remington 700 style triggers.

You could even cancel your Bartlien and purchase a shouldered barrel prefit. Get tired of the 7mm08 and you can screw your 308 barrel back on. Or a 6.5 PRC or Creedmoore. even a 223 if you want.

If you were doing the work I would say go for it but not paying a smith 80-100 an hour for an axis rework.

Gunsmiths
    SSS - Fred Moreo
    or
    http://customgunsandammunition.com/aboutus.html

Bighorn Origin

The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Besides, shouldered barreled guns are just classier to look at. lol
    Nice action R/H, is that rail integral?

NO. The rail is not integral. The tolerances are held close enough where you can buy a shouldered prefit off the shelf and the headspace is good.thi action has interchangeable bolt heads with control round feed.

$850
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.