Thread: Wipe Out bore cleaner review

Basic Member

Wipe Out bore cleaner review

I bought a can of this stuff a few months ago and finally got around to trying it this past weekend. Their promos recommend using it on a barrel that you think is already clean to prove how effective it is at removing what you missed. So, I tried it on my Shilen 223 barrel. After the recommended one hour soak, I pushed a dry patch through the bore and it came out clean, indicating that either I have been doing a good job cleaning this barrel or that the stuff just doesn't work that well.

Next, I used it on my Colt AR-15 barrel which I had shot the day before. This barrel is always nasty and takes forever to get clean after a trip to the range. I have never used any copper remover in this barrel and it has about 1500 rounds through it. After the recommended one hour soak, I was astonished at how much bright blue liquid came out of the barrel and how filthy black the patch was. To test how well it worked, I followed up with some Hoppes using six cycles of wet brushing followed by a dry patch. By the sixth cycle, the patch came out very faint gray.

Wipe Out has a very faint ammonia odor and if you asked me to describe it, I would say it most reminds me of glass cleaner with ammonia. Essentially, a strong cleaning solution with a little ammonia in it.

I'll use it a few more times on my bolt guns before passing final judgement. However, based on the first experience, I think it's going to improve my cleaning regimen.

Team Savage
    Wipe-out/Patch-out is the best bore cleaner I’ve ever used. I prefer the liquid Patch-out version over the foam.

Basic Member
    Since buying a borescope camera and actually seeing in minute detail the inside the bore of my rifles, I have discovered many truths about the cleaning products I thought I knew were excellent and doing the job I assumed they were doing as judged the color of a patch. All I can say is that if you're not using a borescope, you're probably just shooting in the dark when it comes to cleaning products. I was amazed at how much copper and fouling remained in the barrel after the patch came out clean.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Team Savage

I agree, Teslong was the best $50 I ever spent on a gun related item.

Basic Member
    Best way I found to remove stubborn copper is by elbow grease and a cleaner with some grit to it such as JB bore paste or gold medallion. Neither one will harm the bore and basically polishes away the copper. I have confirmed with a bore scope.

I had one barrel grab copper so bad, I had globs of it inside the barrel that I could feel with the cleaning patch (felt like a rough spot) and then I confirmed with a bore scope.
    The only way I got it out was the plug the bore and filled it with KG-12. That stuff dissolved every bit of the copper and left it looking new again.

Now when I have copper that a few passes of JB will not remove, I go straight to KG-12.

Quote Originally Posted by jpdown View Post
    Wipe-out/Patch-out is the best bore cleaner I’ve ever used. I prefer the liquid Patch-out version over the foam.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpdown View Post
    I've tried a lot of cleaners over the years but Wipe-out / Patch-out is the best that I have found I don't worry about copper fouling but vitrified carbon is horrible to remove.