Thread: Linear Compensator

Basic Member

Linear Compensator

Has anyone tried a linear compensator?

I'm considering one for a .308 project I'm working on.

The main reasons being directing the blast/sound downrange and less dirt being blown around when shooting prone.

Thanks.

yes, yes i have, and i absolutely love it. very very small difference in felt recoil on my AK47. That said when popping a hog at night the difference in blast and sound behind the buttstock is amazing. Without it my ears would ring something fierce, with it, no ringing ears. I know someone is going to give me hell about not using hearing protection when hunting, but if you ever have stalked hogs in 100* southeast texas weather, you would understand the need to hear your pray and not fill your ears with sweat.
    cheap ebay one used here https://www.ebay.com/itm/264666105734

Basic Member
    Thanks Nathan.

I can understand how it would be beneficial for you.

I might give it a try, but I can't find a lot of info about them on larger caliber rifles. Most popular on short barreled ARs from what I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
    Thanks Nathan.

I can understand how it would be beneficial for you.

I might give it a try, but I can't find a lot of info about them on larger caliber rifles. Most popular on short barreled ARs from what I've seen.
    it will redirect the sound away from the shooter for sure. They are popular on SBR ar15s as they create back pressure in the barrel which can help with cycling. Much like a suppressor does. There is a noticeable difference in my AK's gas system with this attached. It throws the empty "steel" about 20' away with it attached, maybe half that without. I use a buffer due to this.
    In a bolt action rifle there is no concern for that issue at all. It will do what you are wanting it to do. If you are still unsure, buy a cheap one like i did, BE SURE ITS STEEL, and give it a go. Then maybe invest in a quality one. That was my plan, but i like the cheap one well enough to just keep it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nathantc View Post
    it will redirect the sound away from the shooter for sure. They are popular on SBR ar15s as they create back pressure in the barrel which can help with cycling. Much like a suppressor does. There is a noticeable difference in my AK's gas system with this attached. It throws the empty "steel" about 20' away with it attached, maybe half that without. I use a buffer due to this.
    In a bolt action rifle there is no concern for that issue at all. It will do what you are wanting it to do. If you are still unsure, buy a cheap one like i did, BE SURE ITS STEEL, and give it a go. Then maybe invest in a quality one. That was my plan, but i like the cheap one well enough to just keep it.
    I've asked the manufacture/seller about this, and they said it didn't increase backpressure. Sure sounds like it does.

The rifle I'm putting it on doesn't respond well to additional backpressure, and doesn't run well suppressed. It doesn't have any way to adjust the recoil impulse, as it's roller-delayed blowback and not gas or impingement operated.

A linear compensator may cause problems with the operating system.

Thanks.

EDIT: The one I was considering was expensive and 2-piece with baffling. I have seen other, much less expensive ones, that are basically just an open tube - no holes or internal baffling. I wonder if that would get similar results without adding backpressure.

I've asked the manufacture/seller about this, and they said it didn't increase backpressure. Sure sounds like it does.

The rifle I'm putting it on doesn't respond well to additional backpressure, and doesn't run well suppressed. It doesn't have any way to adjust the recoil impulse, as it's roller-delayed blowback and not gas or impingement operated.

A linear compensator may cause problems with the operating system.

Thanks.

EDIT: The one I was considering was expensive and 2-piece with baffling. I have seen other, much less expensive ones, that are basically just an open tube - no holes or internal baffling. I wonder if that would get similar results without adding backpressure.
    On a 6.5cm rifle i recently sold i had a muzzle break that had a shroud over it. Granted it was a bolt action rifle so i have no way of knowing if it has back pressure issue. That said it was great for prone and worked great for sound. It's actually what made me try the style i have on the AK. I didn't use the same on the AK as i didn't want to add any over all length to the rifle.
    here is a photo of basicly the design i had on the 6.5cm

i'm assuming you are putting this on a HK91 or similar clone?
    i had something like that way way back around 2005. Never really fell in love with it. Wish i would have kept it as they have gotten retarded in price since then

Basic Member
    Yes - PTR91

Is that what you had as well?

This is the one I was considering - https://hkparts.net/product/linear-c...g3-91-ptr.htm/

They can't tell me much about it, and I can't find any info or reviews on it. Looks like a nice piece, but sounds like it may not work that well on the -91 rifles.

that is a nice looking brake. I doubt that design will cause any back pressure at all as there is no "wall" for the gasses to run into like the one i have on my AK.
    Mine was a CETME, basicly a HK91 clone. Had that damn fluted chamber that destroyed brass, but aided in reliability.
    Honestly the comp you are looking at, i would buy without worry at all. I bet it does a great job for what you are wanting. Just understand that they do not mitigate recoil or muzzle rise like a standard brake. The only thing better than one of these for keeping the sound and blast off the shooter would be a suppressor. They do work as advertised for sure. Very nice if you are outside shooting next to a building or vehicle, as the sound does not bounce off of it and deafen you like a standard brake or bare muzzle.

Basic Member
    that is a nice looking brake. I doubt that design will cause any back pressure at all as there is no "wall" for the gasses to run into like the one i have on my AK.
    Mine was a CETME, basicly a HK91 clone. Had that damn fluted chamber that destroyed brass, but aided in reliability.
    Honestly the comp you are looking at, i would buy without worry at all. I bet it does a great job for what you are wanting. Just understand that they do not mitigate recoil or muzzle rise like a standard brake. The only thing better than one of these for keeping the sound and blast off the shooter would be a suppressor. They do work as advertised for sure. Very nice if you are outside shooting next to a building or vehicle, as the sound does not bounce off of it and deafen you like a standard brake or bare muzzle.
    OK - it may be fine then.

Thanks.

Basic Member
    What are your thoughts on this one - https://www.archonmfg.com/308-7-62-l...ct-description

Got some comment on another forum from a person that has a few, and he didn't like the design of the HKParts one I linked above. This one is 1/3 the price, and a type that he has owned, but I'm not sure if it's going to create backpressure issues.

According to PTR specs, the threads for the HKParts linear compensator are wrong for a PTR. PTR specs say 5/8 x 24, not 15 x 1.

Thanks.

if you look a the close up photo of the one i have on my ak, that one is very similar and the one i have DOES produce backpressure. As for the threads id verify them before ordering anything.

Basic Member
    if you look a the close up photo of the one i have on my ak, that one is very similar and the one i have DOES produce backpressure. As for the threads id verify them before ordering anything.

I'm concerned about that. I left a message with the manufacturer, we'll see if they call back tomorrow with some information.

PTR specs say 5/8 x 24 barrel threads.

I'm concerned about that. I left a message with the manufacturer, we'll see if they call back tomorrow with some information.

PTR specs say 5/8 x 24 barrel threads.
    ez way to find out on the cheap is to remove your current muzzle device, go to the local hardware store and find a bolt that fits it. That will 100% confirm the thread pitch. Should cost you only your time.