Thread: Savage 110 Timberline short action and scope failure to zero.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

Savage 110 Timberline short action and scope failure to zero.

So a friend of mine gets the new 110 Timberline in .308 and he picks a Burris Eliminator III scope for it. Burris two piece Extreme Tactical bases were purchased and we find out that this action has #8-40 screws and the Burris bases will not work because the screws are too small and they don't offer them with the #8-40 screws. So we get a Warne Maxima two piece base and mount up the scope. The Eliminator III scopes don't use rings as they have an integral machined base on the bottom of the scope that sits on the action bases and a special cross bolt goes into the cross slot and mates the scope to the base.

We found out that the scope cannot be zeroed, and its point of impact is 6" to the right of point of aim at 100 yards and the windage turret is all out of adjustment. The action on this 110 Timberline is supposed to be "blueprinted" and given that, I'm pretty sure that the base mounting holes are in the correct location on the action. I checked the bases installed on the action with a digital angle gauge and they are within a 1/2 degree of each other of being parallel.

I personally think it is the scope but I am at a loss. According to Burris it has 40" of windage adjustment, 20" to the left and right from mechanical zero. The mounts were installed in multiple combinations and still the same results. Any suggestions on what to do to determine what component is the problem? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

Basic Member
    If you have another scope, bases and rings to try, that would be the easiest thing to do first.
    I am not familiar with the burris scope/mounts you have,- someone will chime in to help.
    Jack

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JW View Post
    If you have another scope, bases and rings to try, that would be the easiest thing to do first.
    I am not familiar with the burris scope/mounts you have,- someone will chime in to help.
    Jack
    That would be my first option too. I would look for a one piece and ditch the two piece.

Quote Originally Posted by want2ride View Post
    That would be my first option too. I would look for a one piece and ditch the two piece.
    I was aware that the eliminator did not use rings but the xtreme III? Do you have a picture?
    This is the XTR III

This is the Eliminator:

Which one are we talking about?

Ultimately there is some misalignment between the scope and the barrels POI. Without closeup pictures and the ability to diagnose in person it is a crapshoot. Are you seeing full range of scope adjustment on paper?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Sorry guys, it is the Eliminator III. And as suggested I mounted a different scope on the Warne bases and that scope was able to be zeroed without issue. I suspect there may be an internal issue or something with the integral mounting rail. I have submitted a warranty claim to Burris from there support portal.

Don't rule out your rifle yet. How far off was the POI from the optical center of the traditional scope? if it was close to being maxed out on windage or elevation there may be an issue with the barreled action. We have seen it before.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.