Thread: Vertical

Basic Member

Vertical

I believe what this is called is vertical stringing. Both Savage rifles and the Remington shot the 60 grain Hornady very poorly but today I tried the seating depth listed in the reloading manual which is much farther off the lands than the original recipe. I didn't try the 22-250 but both the Remington and Axis shot much better but the Savage seems to creep vertically. I know these aren't the best bullets for any of my rifles so I tried the 69 grain Sierra (just in the Axis) which seems to work very well and the Axis shot a 1/2" group but still, it is erring in the vertical. The horizontal error is less than 1/4". It shoots much better with this bullet but still, there is something that is causing the vertical movement. Any Ideas or suggestions?

How are you shooting, bench , prone or what? Breathing , inconsistent powder measure or stock fitment can all be suspect. Lots of variables in this game for sure.
    Semper Fi

Sgt USMC 66-72

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NF1E View Post
    How are you shooting, bench , prone or what? Breathing , inconsistent powder measure or stock fitment can all be suspect. Lots of variables in this game for sure.

I know what you are getting at, operator error but my other rifles don't do this. The Remington errs on the horizontal side more than the vertical. It is from a bench. Powder measures are all weighed on a scale and trickled up as close as I can get it on a beam scale and this is only 100 yards, which I will be limited to for several months.

Basic Member
    barrel heating?

try letting the barrel cool between shots

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

That's what I was thinking, barrel warming up and causing vertical drift. If it was an M14 I would diagnose an over torqued barrel or too tight a gas cylinder lock caused by bubba using shims.

For a Savage, it could very well be receiver screw torquing into the stock may need a bit of tweaking.
    Semper Fi

Sgt USMC 66-72

Basic Member
    About how long would you let it cool? I do let it cool about a minute or minute and a half. I don't mean to imply there isn't some error on my part but it does seem to do it more than my other guns. I also am going to make sure the barrel is not touching the stock again. I did trim a little off the stock when I first got it. It was lightly touching in one place and I corrected it but I guess things can change. If it was as accurate vertically as horizontally I think it would be my most accurate gun.

How are you weighing you loads? How many times has the brass been fired since annealing? What is your tolerance on bullet R.O? Are you using a bipod or a bag? Rear support?

If all of these things are reasonably OK you may be in between nodes.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    How are you weighing you loads? How many times has the brass been fired since annealing? What is your tolerance on bullet R.O? Are you using a bipod or a bag? Rear support?

If all of these things are reasonably OK you may be in between nodes.
    I adjust the powder measure to be as close as possible to what I want under a tenth of a grain or so, weigh it on the beam scale and trickle up to what is perfect balance, at least what I can determine with the eye. I haven't annealed the brass but it is time to do it. Before I make another attempt I will. I have no way of checking runout presently but I have the necessary materials on hand to make a device to measure it. I am using a rest that supports the fore end and butt end both. I can't recall the brand but it is some cheap imitation of what Caldwell sells. It didn't cost much but I kind of like it.

All of these suggestions are things that need to be tried and I will get on it and report back eventually.

One thing I did that helped quite a bit was building a new bench. I would say it is worth between .15-.20 MOA on all the rifles. It is solid as can be and much better than what I was using before.

Basic Member
    Well after say the third shot, you could try holding a little lower? lol
    I once had the 1000 yd heavy gun record holder tell me that the buck his buddy had just killed with my gun at about 950 would be the first deer to hang at his camp in 5 years.
    I couldnt believe that and questioned him thinking i had mistook what he said, but no i hadnt, and he repeated it.
    Later that evening at a spagetti dinner at our camp, he told me that my gun didnt shoot all that well.
    When i questioned him he said he had noticed some verticle taking place as he was watching.
    I said Earl, you earlier told me that deer out there tied onto your Bronko was the first deer you guys killed in 5 years.
    Now your telling me the gun you used to kill it dosent shoot well.
    Snerdly i would be shooting that gun at a rock at some decent distance.
    And if you hit the rock forget all you ever heard about things like virdigo.
    Which i think is what Earl had.