Thread: Need advice, sell complete rifle or parts?

Basic Member

Need advice, sell complete rifle or parts?

Finances and a disabled wife mean I have to give up my dream of long range shooting, so this rifle will need a new home. So I have a Savage 12 FV that started life as a .223, but has since been rebarreled in 6.5 Creedmoor. It has a like new Criterion barrel, Rifle Basix trigger, B&C stock, in short, the only thing left that's still Savage is the action. Would I be better off selling it complete, or break it down and sell the parts? Appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

Dave

Sorry to hear of your troubles David.

You should price the rifle like you would sell it in parts. Break it down only if all parts are sold or you may end up holding on to something.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I just went through this with a rifle. I tried to sell it complete on several different sites for a while with no takers.
    I ended up parting it out. I sold the barrel and action on here, and the stock on ebay. It took a few weeks but I did eventually sell it all. You just have to be patient.

Team Savage
    Parts usually bring more than custom builds.

Team Savage
    parts sell faster

Basic Member
    Thanks, guys, appreciate the responses. Guess I'll post the complete rifle first, then break it down if no interest. Later.

Dave

Basic Member
    I know it has been iterated several times, but parts do move faster as it brings a wider audience of potential buyer.

However I am selling a 338 Lapua AI off a target magnum that I will not part out. In this case though it is a non standard caliber, with non standard threads (well for savage, as a large shank, but don't have all the custom actions that use savage small shank threading as other possible buyers), and almost $500 in custom dies made for this exact chambering. If I was crazy hard up for money I might part it, but unless something drastic happens I'm just going to keep it as a complete rifle.

Basic Member
    Although another route I often use is having the option of the barreled action. E.g. selling an X complete rifle for Y, barreled action for Z. That gives potential purchasers the freedom to get their desired stock/chassis without having to buy complete rifle and then either put stock that came with it on the shelf or trying to sell.