Thread: Advice on Axis 308?

Advice on Axis 308?

Bought an Axis 308 from cabbalas anything I should do before shooting 1st time?? sorry new to this...

Basic Member
    All I did was clean it and check the action screws. They weren't torqued even close to what they should be. I got it without a scope but if yours came with a scope, check the base screws and ring screws. I would also use a thread locker on the base screws but don't bother on the ring screws. They are easily checked and if you want to change scopes you don't have to fight the thread locker. No one will agree on cleaning but I followed what Savage recommends on barrel break in. More than likely it didn't help but if it shot poorly I would always wonder if it might have been different if I followed their recommendations. It does take a little time to do but I would do it again.

Basic Member
    Clean the heck out of it. And when you think it's clean enough, do it again. I've yet to get a factory gun that wasn't filthy and covered in oil.

David

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Snerdly View Post
    All I did was clean it and check the action screws. They weren't torqued even close to what they should be. I got it without a scope but if yours came with a scope, check the base screws and ring screws. I would also use a thread locker on the base screws but don't bother on the ring screws. They are easily checked and if you want to change scopes you don't have to fight the thread locker. No one will agree on cleaning but I followed what Savage recommends on barrel break in. More than likely it didn't help but if it shot poorly I would always wonder if it might have been different if I followed their recommendations. It does take a little time to do but I would do it again.
    Thank you I appreciate the input!! At the risk of sounding stupid what are action screws and how tight should they be?

Thank you I will

Basic Member
    They are the two screws on the bottom that holds the action in the stock.

Basically it is a good idea to check all the screws to see if they are tight. The factories these days seem to not take as much care in final assembly as they should.

Same reason to clean well. Some look like they were test fired and then covered in preservative without cleaning. Gotta get all that stuff out before shooting the first time.

Break in procedure might help. Mine had a pretty rough bore and it was several hundred rounds before it settled down. I regret not doing a break in. Might not have helped, may have saved me firing a bunch of ammo just to get decent groups.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ronk View Post
    Thank you I appreciate the input!! At the risk of sounding stupid what are action screws and how tight should they be?

I believe they are 40 inch pounds on the action screws. I think the base screws are 22-25 and the scope rings will vary by the manufacturer. If you don't have a small torque wrench or screwdriver I would check around if any of your friends do or as a last resort, going to a gunshop and having it done. Too much torque is as bad as too little, especially on scope rings.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    They are the two screws on the bottom that holds the action in the stock.

Basically it is a good idea to check all the screws to see if they are tight. The factories these days seem to not take as much care in final assembly as they should.

Same reason to clean well. Some look like they were test fired and then covered in preservative without cleaning. Gotta get all that stuff out before shooting the first time.

Break in procedure might help. Mine had a pretty rough bore and it was several hundred rounds before it settled down. I regret not doing a break in. Might not have helped, may have saved me firing a bunch of ammo just to get decent groups.

Thanks I was reading that and wondering...

Perfect that you for the info!!

As for torquing the action screws, If you don't have metal pillars you might find your front action screw rubbing your bolt head before long. Plastic starts to flow and the screws will loosen. See if your manual gives you inf on that.

Do yourself a favor. If using Loc-tite brand threadlocker use the purple. I use none. If torqued properly it is not needed.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

thank you