Thread: Boyds factory installed pillars

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Boyds factory installed pillars

Has anybody here had any experience with the factory installed pillars on some of Boyds' stocks? I was interested when I first heard they were introducing them a year or two ago. I always add my own pillars anyway, but if they could do a good enough job at a low enough price—maybe even roll it into the ever-increasing prices of their stocks—I might be more inclined to buy from them again. The more I learned, however, the more inclined I was to wait to hear from others. As of now, I haven't found anyone posting their experiences with the factory pillars. I suspect the price of the upgrade, even when it was only $55, was a barrier to entry for a great many of their customers. This would have been especially true for Axis owners who would only get one pillar for the same $57 charge that all the two-pillar stocks pay.

If you've tried one, please let me know! I've got a lot of speculation but little in the way of first-hand reports.

Basic Member
    Like you when I heard it was only the one pillar, I passed. A few min of my time is not worth the $57. The only issue is the rear pillar is so close to the sear that it has to be filed for clearance, and you have to be very careful of over fill with the epoxy, or you will loose the clearance around the sear.
    But if you are careful and watch your clearance it takes no longer to install than any other gun. I don't know why Boyds does not install both pillars! Maybe there is some variance in the bolt spacing? DR

I'm trying to get info on that directly from Boyds, but it's a bit like pulling teeth. To the company's credit, they do appear to be trying.

Near as I can get from them is that their Axis stocks only have a rear pillar because the front action screw goes through the plastic mag catch. I don't know if that's right though, since I imagine they'd still ship it with a plastic trigger guard.

What are you using for pillars, by the way? I always seem to go back to 1/8" brass pipe, which has walls twice as thick as the Boyds factory pillars
    Last edited by DrThunder88; 05-05-2021 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Typo

I got an answer back from Boyds' customer service. They only do the rear pillar on Axis stocks because of the plastic mag catch insert that goes around the front action screw. They sell two different varieties of aluminum mag catch inserts as "accessories". These include items A09147 ($32) and A09078 ($29). The difference is that A09078 has a built in pillar. Both of these parts must be bought separately and neither of which will convince Boyds to install a front pillar. I suppose that makes sense, as even a stock with a rear pillar will ship with a plastic trigger guard.

I also asked why installing "pillars" on an Axis stock costs the same as other stocks. They tried to explain that the price was based on the cost of parts and labor. So, either Boyds is using exceptionally high quality materials and especially skilled labor on their Axis stocks...or they lied to cover up their transparently ludicrous business practice. My money's on the latter, but I still can't find anyone who's actually used their factory pillars.

$57 seems like a lot for what you get with this option. If I didn't know what I knew about Boyds' history with their Axis stocks, I might convince myself that $57 would be a fair price for a stock, both pillars, an aluminum mag catch insert, and a metal trigger guard. Otherwise it seems like sixty bucks for four dollars worth of thin aluminum tube and a smear of epoxy.

Basic Member
    I have used stainless tubing, aluminum tube, brass lamp nipples [ 1/8"pipe]. But for guns like the Axis that have not much wood around the pillar I use steel spacers they sell at Home depot. They are thin wall so I don't have to remove as much wood. I have done another gun that has the action screw near the mag well. If I had used 1/8" pipe I would have been drilling into the mag well. Anyway a pack of 4 were about $2. They are made to space a control board off the back of an electrical panel. DR