Thread: Need Help With AccuTrigger

Basic Member

Need Help With AccuTrigger

New Savage Varmit user. Seen lots of posts about AccuTrigger problems, namely hang up from side pressure on trigger, fire when bolt closed etc, but my problem seems to be different. About every 6 or 7th shot from the bench I hear the firing pin impact, sounding like a normal dry fire, but the gun does not fire and the primer is untouched. Sometimes i will recock the bolt and the round fires normally. Have reduced the trigger pull from factory setting and would like to keep it that way. Any suggestions to dealing with problem would be helpful.

Basic Member
    Your problem is not the trigger. My bet would be to start by cleaning the bolt. Look for a youtube video on how to strip it down and give a good cleaning and light lubrication to see if that helps. there may be dirt impeding the firing pin.

Basic Member
    I did exactly that after about a dozen breakin shots. Didn't make any difference. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Basic Member
    Try adding some pull weight to the trigger.

Basic Member
    Did the same thing. Make sure you pull accurate trigger release. Almost a 2 step process. Agree on adding weight back on trigger pull if necessary.

It is functioning as it should. With the pull adjustment "light", The trigger does not have the spring preload to maintain the trigger / sear relationship. The firing pin spring is driving the sear via the cocking piece pin into the fire position only to be stopped by the safety blade.

The Accutrigger is marketed to make you think it is something other than a safety.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I have dryfired with a normal pull and obtained satisfactory results(sound) and then tried a pull with side pressure on the trigger. Those times the blade stops the sear, as it is supposed to, but the sound is distinctively different, a click. It appears that the problem is within the bolt, not the trigger mechanism. Can it be that the cross bolt retaining the bolt head is moving (rotating) slightly and is stopping the firing pin to proceed through it’s hole? Can the hole in the cross pin be safely enlarged so that the firing pin doesn’t hang up?

The firing pin goes through the crosspin and cannot be the problem. An extremely dirty bolt could be. Never put oil or grease inside of a rifle bolt.

If you think it is the bolt: Open the bolt and remove it from the action. Push the cocking piece pin off of the cocked position and see if it falls. Stick your finger into the bolt head and if you feel the firing pin in the center of the bolt face, your bolt is in working order. Try it ten times.You will need to force the cocking piece pin back into the cocked position every time. Use a piece of wood or corner of a workbench.

If this works out to be true then you have found what many others have found, that you are tripping the trigger before the blade is depressed.

Prove this by taking the action out of the stock and dry fire it until you see the blade catch the sear. It is really easy if you look at it.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    If you are certain that in those instances of fail to fire the safety blade is not the cause, and you can determine this immediately by depressing the safety blade and it moves freely, then another possibility is a piece of primer is holding the firing pin off the stop in the bolt head.

Have you ever experienced a perforated (blanked) primer? If so, you'll need to disassemble the bolt and clear out any debris left from primer blanking.

When the accutrigger trips the sear before the safety blade is fully depressed, the sear will jam against the safety blade holding it firm until the bolt is opened, resetting the trigger. Depressing the safety blade immediately after experiencing a FTF will help you sort out the cause of the FTF.

If you establish that the issue is indeed the trigger, you can add shims to the sides of the trigger to remove excess gap. This will help greatly. Get a shim kit here: https://triggershims.com/savage.php

After re installing your action into the stock, don't forget to torque the actions screws properly, and for best accuracy, torque tune the rear action screw like this: https://www.accurateshooter.com/tech...torque-tuning/
    I have a tool I offer for checking operation of your bolt, cocking and uncocking it easily at the bench or firing line. PM me if interested. If you are a basic, unpaid membership, you may need to upgrade to use the PM feature.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

What you need to do to is check the trigger itself.

If/when the AccuTrigger safety feature trips due to side pressure or adjusted to light, the trigger and blade will lock up and it won't move until you recock the bolt to reset it. If the trigger is pulled properly and the pull weight is sufficient to allow the sear to disengage and allow the firing pin to fall you will be able to pull the center blade of the trigger fully rearward after firing (before recocking).
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    After re-reading your post I have a suggestion other than my first reply. I would say that your issue is as you noted putting "side pressure" on the trigger. The nice thing about these triggers is that they force you to practice proper trigger pull every time. You can't get lazy and drag your finger into the trigger with any side pressure. You must place your finger tip on the blade and push straight back into the trigger otherwise the sear will disengage and you will hear a click but nothing will happen. When that does happen you will know because the blade is bound up and won't move freely. You will need to slowly cock the bolt and attempt another firing. This is common with a very light trigger setting. I have three accu-trigger rifles with target springs installed and each one is set to about a 10 ounce pull. (they are varmint rifles) When I get lazy with my technique the trigger lets me know. In the Marine Corps during rifle training we called it "dragging wood".

Banned
    This has been posted so many times it’s pretty much a science. So many come and post “I have a DIFFERENT Accutrigger problem.”, SWEARING they are NOT tripping the safety blade. People go through the motions....maybe it’s this....maybe it’s that. And those of us who have answered this question more than we’d like to count keep saying, “You are tripping the safety blade.”. Eventually we stop hearing any update the OP with no update on a fix. Ya know why? Because they finally figured out they WERE indeed tripping the safety blade!

Basic Member
    You are exactly right! I started to using just the pad on the tip of my trigger finger to contact the blade/trigger. Problem solved! Thanks for the suggestions.