Thread: muzzle breaks school

muzzle breaks school

I have a 6.5 CM 110 threaded and want to know if I need a muzzle break and what kind.
    Thanks

Basic Member
    Nobody "needs" a muzzle brake. But if you want it to be easier to spot your own shots then they are quite useful. There are many good ones out there...I personally like the PVA Jet Blast.

I agree with celltech. 6.5 Creed is pretty mild when it comes to recoil, so if you want to just run a thread protector, you'd be fine. It's also worth noting that using a 30 caliber brake on a 6.5mm bore only sacrifices a little bit of the brake's effectiveness. I don't know what your muzzle threads your gun has, but I think all of my 6.5mm rifles have 5/8-24 threads. There are a lot of 30 caliber brakes in that thread size, and any of them would be suitable for 6.5 Creed.

The most common brake I have is the AAC 51T brake because I have an AAC suppressor that I like being able to move around. I also have a JP Recoil Eliminator on my 338 Edge, but the thing would look profane on anything but a heavy rifle. Precision Rifle Blog did a rather comprehensive test of a number of different brakes. It's worth a read.

Basic Member
    I have three 6.5mm CMs and none of them have muzzle brakes and really don't need them. I don't notice any particular issue with keeping on target after recoil with any of them.

To give you a working comparison, I have two .308s one with and one without a muzzle brake.
    From a bench, I don't see any difference in the effect of recoil between the two, especially if I have my set up right when I squeeze their triggers.
    All the muzzle brake seems to do for me is to rile up the shooters at adjacent benches.

Team Savage
    I put a Harrell's on a 308 and it made a world of difference. So I put one on my 6.5x47L, in the process of either cutting 4 inches off the barrel or the brake I gained accuracy and the rifle doesn't hardly move on the bags. Harrell's Brake, great guy the price is right AND THEY WORK.

Bill

Terminator Brakes are.the best, hands down.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
    Jester

Banned
    Certainly not needed....but if you want one....go for it. I shoot 260 Rem and couldn't imagine a break on it. It’s a bench rifle & shoots soft as can be. Not big on how they look either. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And if it’s ascetically pleasing to yours, have at it. Breaks do NOT increase accuracy. At best, they won’t sacrifice. If better accuracy is noticed, there was a problem to begin with. Past cases for me have seen them hurt accuracy. But at some point, they do become necessary for extended shooting. For me, a break is not needed until 300WM range recoil. I’m not a fan of extra noise, blast & percussion you get, all at no extra charge, LOL!

Basic Member
    Look up Precision Rifle Blog for a definitive, scientific answer to which brakes (not breaks) work the best. A truly excellent and unbiased evaluation of a lot of different brakes.

Banned
    Now that the grammar police are here, I think all is definitively more clear to each of us. I for one, an truly thankful.

Just put a Precision Armament M-11 Sever-Duty on my brand new Desert Tactical 300 WM. I installed it with their shim kit. I've put 60 rounds through it in two sessions, 40/20. I can report it takes the kick down to a 6" shove. And is relatively quiet. It did blow the hat off of a guy two benches away, lol! I consider it good value for the money.

https://precisionarmament.com/m11-se...-muzzle-brake/

Exceeded my expectations by a lot. Keep in mind my "biggest" rifle 'til now is a Savage 116 30-06 with integral muzzle brake, a nice gun and fun to shoot.

Banned
    “It did blow the hat off of a guy two benches away, lol!”

Yeeeah... That would certainly irritate me! Guaranty it wouldn’t happen a second time.

Basic Member
    I have a 6.5 EC Tuner Brake on order from Eric Cortina. He has set up a new shop with a CNC milling machine and is making them himself. Unique design with a barrel tuner incorporated in the end. The 6.5 brake is going to go onto my 25-06 because I want to stay on target for small targets (chucks) at long distance 600+ yards and I want to see what the barrel tuner will do for accuracy. His videos on the tuner brake are amazing.