Thread: 840 series E will not fire

840 series E will not fire

Having a problem with my 840 series E firing. With the gun empty, pull the trigger the gun will click. [fire] Put an round in the chamber, the gun will not fire. Taking the action off the stock and putting an spent round in the chamber you can see the trigger release the sear but no click. Does anyone have any ideas what is going on???

Basic Member
    I don't have an 'old' bolt action, but I'd venture to think the sear/trigger engagement needs a tiny adjustment (make the trigger a touch Heavier) ?? The sear isn't completely releasing the firing pin when headspace is expanded with a chambered round. Did the rifle work before or is this a 'new' rifle? If worked b4, what changed ? Have you taken the bolt apart and cleaned ? A rifle that age may have dried up grease inside the bolt/firing pin channel.

I got the gun a few years back when a friend of mine died. I never fire the gun. Taking the action out of the stock and looking into the view hole and a round in the chamber, you can see the trigger disengaging completely from the sear but the gun will not fire. Never taken the bolt apart but with no round in the chamber the gun will fire. I will try cleaning the bolt. Thanks for the help. Any other ideas let me know.