Thread: First time Savage owner, not new to .300 AAC... little advice on your experience

First time Savage owner, not new to .300 AAC... little advice on your experience

I went off the deep end according to my wife, and got the Axis II .300 AAC. I love that round and the # of things you can do with it, reloading-wise. That being said, I will deer hunt with it...200 yards and less where I hunt. Any advice on scopes for it? Any one really taken it long distance and if so, how far? I am not scared of budget rifles... I own a TC Compass 6.5 Creedmoor and it is 4 for 4 with bucks hanging on the wall. Love good quality bolt action and excited about my Savage. Also, if you have experience with Boyds and stocks for this model, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

If your limiting shots to 200 yards, a good 1 to 6 power scope should do fine. A Boyd's stock will give you more weight and a stiffer stock than the factory plastic but it does need to have pillars installed. I think Boyds will do them now.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Welcome to the FORUM

Quote Originally Posted by Headhunter_22 View Post
    I went off the deep end according to my wife, and got the Axis II .300 AAC. I love that round and the # of things you can do with it, reloading-wise. That being said, I will deer hunt with it...200 yards and less where I hunt. Any advice on scopes for it? Any one really taken it long distance and if so, how far? I am not scared of budget rifles... I own a TC Compass 6.5 Creedmoor and it is 4 for 4 with bucks hanging on the wall. Love good quality bolt action and excited about my Savage. Also, if you have experience with Boyds and stocks for this model, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

I also like the .300 BO round. Last November I used my AR in .300 BO for the first time and got a nice buck at about 90 to 100 yards and he maybe went 10 yards and dropped. I use Hornady Customs 110gr GMX. I actually prefer using a bolt action rifle so this spring I started looking around and decided on the Savage Axis II in the .300 BO. I ordered the Varmint Thumbhole heavy barrel stock from Boyds and couldn't be happier. Here are a few pictures. the deer I got last fall using the .300 BO 110 gr. and a picture of my new Axis .300 BO plus my sight in pictures. The shots are at 82 yards. Hits on the left target were the first and last two shots on the right target. The scope I use on both my .300s are the Vortex crossfire 3x9x40.

Thanks ... I am looking at a few 1x4 scopes...here in Lower Alabama I usually only have a 75-100 shot tops. Thanks for your service. My dad was Air Cav 9th Cav B Troop from 69-70. Wade

Great buck! Love that Boyd's stock...now I can save and spend more $. lol

Thanks ... I am looking at a few 1x4 scopes...here in Lower Alabama I usually only have a 75-100 shot tops. Thanks for your service. My dad was Air Cav 9th Cav B Troop from 69-70. Wade

Did you have to do anything else to drop it in the Boyd's stock? In South Alabama, that would be and is a very hefty buck.

Quote Originally Posted by Headhunter_22 View Post
    Did you have to do anything else to drop it in the Boyd's stock? In South Alabama, that would be and is a very hefty buck.
    . A nice size buck in Georgia too!
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Update: Dropped a 3x9x40 on it yesterday. Took it out with some Hornady 135 grain and zeroed in at 100. Less than 1 inch MOA and a blast to shoot. Cycles well and I am very pleased with it. Great value!