Thread: Axis action vs 10/110

Basic Member

Axis action vs 10/110

Something I've been pondering lately... The Axis is essentially the same as the 110 action in terms of mechanics, except that it uses a closed top receiver compared to the traditional open top. The closed top is also something I see a lot of custom actions running, and should make the receiver stiffer, but how much is this worth in terms of accuracy? Does anyone have any hard data on how much a stiff action reduces group sizes?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Caliper View Post
    Something I've been pondering lately... The Axis is essentially the same as the 110 action in terms of mechanics, except that it uses a closed top receiver compared to the traditional open top. The closed top is also something I see a lot of custom actions running, and should make the receiver stiffer, but how much is this worth in terms of accuracy? Does anyone have any hard data on how much a stiff action reduces group sizes?
    No, it really is not the same as the 110. About all it shares is the ability to take the same small shank barrels and it the same std bolt heads. The bolt is different, trigger assembly is different, action shape is different, ie, it does not fit 110 stocks. There is a difference in how smoothly my Model 12 varmint bolt works compared to my Axis. And the 110 series can also come with the varmint or target triggers, which adjust down to lighter weights than the std 110 series and the Axis.

Having used both I would not use the Axis as the basis for a build. Not heavy enough and lack of choices in stocks and triggers (if you decide on a newer one).

Does the stiffness help? Maybe. If it matters to you then get a model 12 target action. They can come as a single shot with small port.

There are a lot of folks who can shoot much less than 1/2MOA with standard 110 series action. I am not one of those people. If you think you can shoot 1/4MOA and less then it might make a difference. But, at that level it would be even more important (IMHO) to get a Model 12 single shot target action or another custom action.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    So, I didn't mean to say that the parts are interchangeable (aside from barrel and bolt head) but mechanically they work the same way. The bolt body is the same design, just in between a 10 and 110 in length, the trigger uses the same sear arrangement, etc. I'm not too worried about the selection of triggers and stocks, there are enough good stocks and now that Jard has a three lever design for both Savage actions (and SSS seems to have dropped theirs?) that pretty much seals the deal on what trigger to use.

I guess I've never looked at the model 12 because they are only available in right hand and I'm a left eye dominant shooter. I don't have any interest in a single shot, but am noticing that every precision oriented rifle Savage makes seems to come with a closed top receiver.
    My model 10 precision rifle is a pretty reliable 1/2moa shooter and I know that there are other ways to improve accuracy, but why give up potential just from a less stiff receiver?

Basic Member
    What I was trying to say is that I suspect the std 110 style action is just as 'stiff' as the Axis, despite an open top. Neither is as 'stiff' as the target actions.

The 110 'open' style has proven capable of 1/4 to 1/3MOA.

An Axis might be built to do as well. I can't tell if mine will do better since I am not a good enough shooter to consistently shoot 1/4 to 1/3MOA. It does consistently shoot 1/2MOA. That is my shortcoming, not the rifle. I can say the same about my Model 12 varmint.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk