Thread: Swapping a stagger feed blind magazine from 30/06 to magnum magazine.

Question Swapping a stagger feed blind magazine from 30/06 to magnum magazine.

Hello everyone, I am currently working on a project that I am converting an old flat back stagger feed line magazine model 110 over to a belted magnum case. I had found some information that said the 30/06 Magazine box would work for the belted magnum cases. That is not the case unless you only want to use one round. If more than one round is put into the magazine and the bolt tries to strip the first shell out, the rest of the rounds pop out like spilled chiclets...

The rounds that I’m using is a 458 x 2” American. Does anyone have any experience converting the magazines from the 30/06 to the belted mag magazine? I don’t want to change to a DBM or center feed unless there is a good reason, I’d rather adapt the stock and magazine I have if possible. Does anyone have any idea on where to find a belted magnum stagger feed blind magazine?

thanks for any pointers, the magazine is the only sticking point on my build so far, hope to have it done before next deer season...

Basic Member
    For reference take a look at this https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...Feed-Magazines

With your straight walled case I suspect that you will have to do a lot of experimentation with the mag box lips to make this work. Have fun and good luck

You will have better luck with a box for a magnum case. I gave up and swapped to a chassis that uses aics mags for my 7mm wsm but it still doesn’t feed great,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I think the biggest downside to using Savage actions for building rifles is the magazine issues.
    Even after buying the proper magazine parts to go from one cartridge to another there can and probably will be issues.
    My experience became so frustrating that i bought another gun in 300 WSM.
    Ill solve it i thought, ill just swap my new barrel over to this gun.
    Thats when i discovered ( short shank/long shank. lol.
    There are more build friendly actions out there, especially when going from a non magnum to a magnum cartridge.

Basic Member
    Your feed problem has little to do with a belt, and more about the straight case. If you look at the magazine you will see a stamped in depression that is usually just ahead of the shoulders of a bottle neck case. That restriction is what interferes with a straight case. Just grind it out.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

I’ll be checking that out next chance I get, I have seen that happen in some other cases and I can see that being a problem. Thanks.