Thread: 7.62x39mm builders/shooters, please share your experience

7.62x39mm builders/shooters, please share your experience

As I mentioned on another thread, I'm planning to build a left-hand 7.62x39mm. I have a spare left-hand 110 long action but have reluctantly decided that I will need to build this on a short action, so I'm preparing to buy one or a sacrificial gun (.308 or .243) to convert to 7.62x39mm.

Some questions:

I've read that the .308 (and .243) bolt face will probably work for the 7.2x39, especially if I get an enhanced extractor kit. Does anyone know for sure? And, does the enhanced extractor kit work for left-hand and right-hand bolts? I've never actually seen one, only read about them.

Also, if I get a stock that takes AICS magazines, will an AICS .308 magazine reliably feed 7.62x39mm? I've looked at Sniper's Hide and several other gun boards where 7.62x39 is discussed, and the consensus seems to be "It should work," but no one seems to be saying, "Yes, I've tried it and it works." Does anyone know for sure?

For a barrel, I'm thinking I want a .308 with Lapua chamber, probably 18". Any thoughts on what barrel profile I should get? I'm trying to keep this as light as possible, and I doubt that an 18" barrel is going to be whippy, but I don't want the barrel any heavier than needed. Thoughts?

Any experiences, good or bad, with barrel makers? Should I be considering one of the carbon-wrapped barrels?

Finally, if I have to buy a new stock (I may use the original stock if I convert a .308 or .243), what are some recommendations? I don't want one of the hollowed-out plastic featherweights but it doesn't need to be a heavyweight benchrest behemoth. I'd like this gun to be practical for a woods walker.

Any personal experience and suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Whisper

Why are you going to this round if not for cheap ammo? A 308 barrel will negate its use since its .311.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member

7.62x39mm builders/shooters, please share your experience

As a lefty who likes the 7.62x39, I’m very interested to hear how the project goes. I’ve always dreamed of left handed rifle I t his caliber.

Out of curiosity, how come you decided on a Savage, and not a Ruger American? If you are going to buy a sacrificial rifle and after market stock, wouldn’t it be simpler to buy a left handed Ruger short action and swap the bolt, barrel and magazine for 7.62x39 and then get an after market stock? Or buy the right handed American ranch, and swap the action? This way, with the correct bolt and magazine you would ensure that it feeds reliably.

Best of luck with this project!

ninner, the Savage 7.62x39 uses .308, as do some other makers, and from the reports I read, that diameter works well. The problem is that they produce only right-hand versions. (Ruger and CZ both apparently made left-hand 7.62x39 rifles for about a week, but they're all gone now and on the rare occasions when you see one on the used market, they cost more than my truck.) Plus from what I read, all of those companies use the SAAMI throats instead of the Lapua throats, which from the available data seem superior.

Seminole, I've looked at both the Savage Axis and the Ruger American, and they both seemed awfully cheap and flimsy to me. I only handled them and haven't shot either one, but the reviews aren't great. And, if I'm going to replace the bolt, barrel, and magazine and get an aftermarket stock, why not do it on a better action?

I could be argued out of either position if someone has better data than I do. Thanks for the ideas -- please keep them coming.

Cheers,
    Whisper

Team Savage
    I have owned two Savage 7.62x39's. I needed the SSS extractor on both to reliably extract the rounds - of various types. Once I got it, I was fine after that.

A .308 barrel does not "negate" its use. I had a .308 barrel on my Savages and routinely shot .310-.311 steel case into tiny little groups, as well as .308 handloads. Don't let anyone tell you it's a problem.

Personally, I'd never use a .308 bolt face on a 7.62x39.

The 7.62x39 uses a ppc bolt head.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

The Zastava M85 was imported by several (Interarms, Chas. Daley, Remington, etc) and they offered x39 lefty versions. May be worth dropping them an email (Zastava USA) since I think they are self-importing now...