Thread: My Impulse Predator

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Team Savage

My Impulse Predator

Finally got my hands on the Impulse Predator in 243.
    My initial impression ;
    I like it and it's a good start for the first American made straight pull actioned rifle.
    Action and barrel finish is even and smoothe.
    Accustock is a typical accustock, very nice and easily adjustable.
    The bolt on the other hand, is a little rough when cycling, but with some slide glide and kroil applied, it's a lot smoother and should get smoother with use.

I noticed that the bolt is supported and riding on the bolt release, so you need to pull straight back or the friction slow's the bolt down because it's riding on the bolt release.
    It's especially noticeable when using it left handed, but when set up for right hand manipulation, it's a lot smoother.
    To me, it's due to the fact that there's less pressure being applied on the bolt release(Which is on the left side of the action) with the bolt handle being on the opposite side of the bolt release.
    Bolt manipulation is better if you place the bolt position a little foward towards the muzzle. (Pic Attached of that bolt position )
    When the bolt handle is facing straight down (In the traditional turn bolt position) you tend to pull it upward's and back, not straight back to unlock and cycle it.
    The bolt handle is ok, but it's smoothe, so a knurled bolt handle is on order.
    I did the same with my Blaser R8.
    I removed the barrelled action from the stock and the stock machining is clean and smoothe, with no noticable gaps between the aluminum bed and stock.
    It's a light stock and all the weight is in the barreled action, so like most american made rifles, the rifle is barrel heavy.
    I was hoping to elimiate some weight from the stock to make it lighter, but I think the only options to make it lighter and balanced, is to have the barrel fluted or get a thinner profile barrel.
    The barrel is fluted on the Big game impulse and I don't know why they didn't offer that with the Predator and Hog hunter models.
    Taking some weight off the barrel end would really make this rifle easier to handle and after taking it to the range, I'm going to send it out to have it fluted.
    I didn't try to remove the barrel from the reciever, even though I really want to get a look at the barrel extension.
    I want to see how accurate it is out of the box and also don't want to take a chance on screwing it up before I get to fire it.
    The supplied magazine works flawless, but it's long, noisy and a little loose when locked in.
    Being it's metal, when it's partialy empty and/or empty, it's annoyingly loud.
    Not what you want in a predator rifle, especially when hunting at night.
    I don't like how far the 10rd magazine sticks out from the stock too, so the 5 round Pmags I ordered and am waiting on will be a welcomed addition.
    The threaded barrel cap is fitted nicely and the threads are clean.
    Two 5/8-24 muzzle brakes threaded on and off without any binding.
    The trigger breaks clean at 2 lb's, on both the digital and mechhanical pull gauges.
    Thats the out of the box factory set trigger pull weight.
    I prefer a 3 lb pull for a field rifle, but if it passes the drop test, I'll keep it at 2 lb's.
    Attached +Timed the titanium muzzle brake (Don't want to add more weight to the barel end), cleaned, lubed and assembled the rifle.
    Range results will be forthcoming.

SJC
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1283.jpg   IMG_1284.jpg   IMG_1285.jpg