Thread: ?? modify Choate Tactical stock ??

Basic Member

?? modify Choate Tactical stock ??

I'm thinking of getting a Choate Tactical stock for one or more 12FV's. Im almost sure I wont like that open track/channel, running along bottom of handguard. Anyone have any ideas, how that track can be filled w/ something, or I'm quite handy in the metal/weld field. I do want a lug in front for a bipod, but dont want it sliding/adjustable. Also, the grip looks very fat, and maybe some other parts of stock may feel bulky too, I'm not sure, cuz I only seen the in pictures. So, any ideas on removing some of that material, and be able to make look stock half descent afterward? I was thinking belt sander, or a emery type flap wheel on a 4 1/2" grinder or something. thanks

Basic Member
    Well, in my opinion, if there are that many things you do not like about that stock right off the bat, and you plan on modding it a lot, then the stock might not be what you are looking for.
    You might try looking around and seeing if there are any other stocks or chassis systems that are more closer to what your end goal is.
    You seem unsure if you will even like the stock.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    Well, in my opinion, if there are that many things you do not like about that stock right off the bat, and you plan on modding it a lot, then the stock might not be what you are looking for.
    You might try looking around and seeing if there are any other stocks or chassis systems that are more closer to what your end goal is.
    You seem unsure if you will even like the stock.
    Theres only one thing I said I know that I dont like, and that is the open channel in foregrip. I said the bulkiness of the grip/etc,,that I wasn't sure about, as I havent been able to hold one yet.
    I have no access to hold any of the stocks that I considered, except the HS Precision, which I liked. However it's twice the price, and correct me if I'm wrong, a botttom metal for it would run another $200, plus a mag. Being, I have a good couple of these guns to outfit, the Choate seems about as economically affordable as I might get, and similar in design, to the HS Precision. I did read a thread here, where a guy was considering the Chaote tactical to Boyds, and he decided on the Boyds, because of the bulkiness of choate.

I am open for any other suggestions on other stocks though. From what I;ve absorbed on a lil research on choate, is, its a fairly rigid stock, and isn't considered junk.

One thing that crossed my mind, is, whether that channel is alum, or if it can be replaced or rivited in w/ a standard piece of square alum tubing, and maybe cake some devcon, or whatever you guys use to bed the receivers to stock, to fill the seems or crevices. I thought, I would try this site first. If we don't have any ideas, I might try calling the factory, to see what kind of response I can get from them. thanks for reply jeep and guns

Seems like you are asking for advice. You might want to include some of your goals. The Choate Tactical is not a light stock. I can't see anyone doing a mountain hunt or a stalk hunt. So i can rule that out. Is it for stand hunting, just shooting or competition? Do you want or need a bipod for your shooting? I cant give you information on a Benchrest Stock if you need a Lightweight Hunter or F/Class type stock. If in the end you get the choate, there are fillers for the slot. and whatever you need. the first thing is...what are you going to use it for.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I've got 4 of the Choate tactical stocks as well as a Boyds that's the same style. The Boyds isn't much lighter than the Choate.

What is your beef with the atlas rail on the Choate? It doesn't impede the function of the stock at all.
    You can use one of the sling swivel type adapters with it, or a picatinny rail adapter to securely mount a Harris or Atlas style bipod to it. I use both on mine, and both are secure and don't move when tightened down correctly.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Seems like you are asking for advice. You might want to include some of your goals. The Choate Tactical is not a light stock. I can't see anyone doing a mountain hunt or a stalk hunt. So i can rule that out. Is it for stand hunting, just shooting or competition? Do you want or need a bipod for your shooting? I cant give you information on a Benchrest Stock if you need a Lightweight Hunter or F/Class type stock. If in the end you get the choate, there are fillers for the slot. and whatever you need. the first thing is...what are you going to use it for.
    I wouldn't be carrying it on hunts. I'll be putting a harris bipod on it, but taking the bipod off also. I'm on a ranch, that has outa control squirrels, and am in a pick up alot out irrigating, and i, want to be able to pick things off for amusement in free time while working. So, I'd usually be resting it over the pick up bed, fence posts, tree branches, or whatever.
    I don't go to ranges. I would shoot at targets occasionally. I'd like to be able to plant my elbow down on hood of pickup, w/ my forearm vertical while gripping handguard to shoot. I want something w/ a vert. like grip, like the HS Precision, that comes stock on the 10 FCP. I have a hard time, understanding about the different mags such as the HSI, you guys talk about sometimes. I've heard you guys, talk about botttom metals being $200 , but seen new ones on ebay for like $120, so I'm sorta lost on that. if i go w/ an economy priced stock, I don't mind sticking w/ the internal feeed system. I see where some of the Choates come w/ a plastic bottom metal for same $215 price as internal blind center feed , but don't know if thats junk or problems or what you guys think about a plastic bottom metal. Kkinda of the way I see it now, is, by the time I shoot 4 or 5 shots out of a bolt action, I will either have killed it, or it will have gotten away. So, at the moment, I'm not frowning on a blind feed. But, if I had to buy an expensive stock, I might say to myself, well, I might one that accepts mags, in case I want mags later.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the pics. I'd be gripping the forearm w/ my hand sometimes, and would rather feel a continous consistant bottom surface, and don't think I'd benefit much to have a bipod that slides back and forth. Both pics look like the Choate i think. Do you get much use out of that hook shape bottom for leveling at back of stock? Also, back of vert. grip/backstrap are looks high for thumb to wrap around, and looks like factory could of afforded to notched it out there a lil lower, do you find that a concern or issue when your shooting it? If, by chance, you have any pic(s), of your Boyds, I'd appreciate seeing it, if its not much trouble. Thank you for you comparison on the weights of the two, and input/opinions on the open rail, thats the kind of comments I want to hear. nice looking rifles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
    I've got 4 of the Choate tactical stocks as well as a Boyds that's the same style. The Boyds isn't much lighter than the Choate.

What is your beef with the atlas rail on the Choate? It doesn't impede the function of the stock at all.
    You can use one of the sling swivel type adapters with it, or a picatinny rail adapter to securely mount a Harris or Atlas style bipod to it. I use both on mine, and both are secure and don't move when tightened down correctly.

I'd be shooting it gripping hand guard w/ my hand sometimes, and would rather feel a continous bottom of stock. I don't think I'd see much benefit on having a Bipod that slides back and forth. Thank you for the pics, and your input, comparison on weight of the two. both pics look like the Choate too me. the back of the grip/backstrap, looks like factory coulda notched it lower for thumb to wrap around lower. Is that a concern or issue when you grip it while shooting? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ice tea View Post
    Thanks for the pics. I'd be gripping the forearm w/ my hand sometimes, and would rather feel a continous consistant bottom surface, and don't think I'd benefit much to have a bipod that slides back and forth. Both pics look like the Choate i think. Do you get much use out of that hook shape bottom for leveling at back of stock? Also, back of vert. grip/backstrap are looks high for thumb to wrap around, and looks like factory could of afforded to notched it out there a lil lower, do you find that a concern or issue when your shooting it? If, by chance, you have any pic(s), of your Boyds, I'd appreciate seeing it, if its not much trouble. Thank you for you comparison on the weights of the two, and input/opinions on the open rail, thats the kind of comments I want to hear. nice looking rifles.

This will stop the slide or use Choate's version and put a short setscrew in it.
    https://www.brownells.at/6-BIPOD-ADA...inny-416006100

Basic Member
    Choate has two different bipod mounts for the Atlas rail. I have both types, and neither one will move once you've installed & tightened the bipod to them.
    The first one allows you to easily slide the bipod on & off the rail when you loosen the bipod a little.
    https://www.riflestock.com/store/pro...bipod-adapter/

The second one has a thumb screw that secures the mount in place all of the time. They both work great.
    https://www.riflestock.com/store/product/bipod-adapter/

The butt hook serves a good purpose when shooting off a bench or prone using a rear bag. I have no problem wrapping my hand / thumb around the palm swell on these stocks.
    The Atlas rail is flush with the bottom of the stock, you don't even know it's there when shooting off hand or when gripping the front of the stock.

I don't have any pictures of my Boyds stock currently, but I'm sure there are plenty of them on this forum if you look in the Rifle Build's section.

Basic Member
    Thank you Robinhood, and Txhillbully for all the links/info on the adaptor slide, and your experiance w/ the stock. I'm going to try to make a decision on this next week

Basic Member
    OK, I got the stock. I've tried to read and determine what or where to start torqueing the action screws too. I've read, leave the 3rd/tang screw out. I've read, that the supplied screws bottom out after 45 in lbs, then you need to pull them out and grind/shorten them. I've read different torques, and different torques depending on what bottom metal, etc.
    I read about stripping threads out at 65 lbs. I read tighten front screw tighter than 2nd screw. I'm still confused.

My new stock is for blind mag. Can I please get some input on what screws get what torque please, or a starting point for torques on what screws for the 12FV? Do, I leave the tang screw out? 3 screws came w/ it, all three have different style head, and one screw is longer than the other two. Thanks

The rear trigger guard screw is just that. There is not tang screw on the savage 110 actions.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    The rear trigger guard screw is just that. There is not tang screw on the savage 110 actions.
    Thanks, I got a better look at it today, I see that. Tommorrow, I'd like to swap stocks. Any idea what a good starting point torques for a V block?

Basic Member

Basic Member
    I like it. Thank you. A little vague when it gets two the two screw though, but this helps me get started. I believe this 12FV, would be considered "two screw" like the 10, as Robin mentioned, the 3rd/rear, is for trigger guard only. 30 inch lbs, don't sound like much though for holding the gun. Heck, them little tiny #6 screws for the scope rail, called for around 20 in lbs if I remeber right. thanks again dave.

Quote Originally Posted by olddav View Post

Basic Member
    https://promagindustries.com/archang...pe-d-magazine/

this stock is awesome . Not expensive and ergonomic . Its not heavy and improved my groups by 1/4inch pillar beaded .

Basic Member
    Thank you for the link. I'm going to study that one later this aqfternnon hopefully, when I get time. Excellent timing kingdom, as I'm having a rough time w/ the choate.
    I'm not sure if I' been getting the rejects of whats in stock or what. First stock the back right side of v block isnt lined up, so receiver dont seat w/o torque/ force. Barrel isnt even close to center in ally of forearm. Replacement/2nd stock looks like it came from a diffent mod. Part of Alley for barrel is flat on bottom, w/ less plastic/support above aluminum. In other words, the first stock, has a continual plastic concave valley surrounding bottom half of barrel. The replacement/second stock, has a steeper inner vertical side of valley wall (less contour), and doesnt continue under most of barrel. Most area under barrel is flat. It's less plastic strength/reinforcing above alum in front of v blocks. Anyone know if one of these described is an older mold, or what the deal is? Thanks for the post kingdom builder
    Quote Originally Posted by kingdombuilder View Post
    https://promagindustries.com/archang...pe-d-magazine/

this stock is awesome . Not expensive and ergonomic . Its not heavy and improved my groups by 1/4inch pillar beaded .

Basic Member
    trying to load pics[IMG] [/IMG]

Basic Member
    I'm unable to figure out how to post pics. I've gotten two stocks shipped to me, both from different molds. At least one of them is defective. I'm getting conflicting answers from those involved, and am getting fustrated. I posted pics on another site. I cant seem to get them on here though. Anyone know, if its against site rules, or if it would be frowned upon, if I put a clickable link to the pics in a post here, so any w of you familiar w/ them, may view them, and might possibly help answer some questions about the two diff molds ?
    Quote Originally Posted by ice tea View Post
    trying to load pics[IMG] [/IMG]