Thread: Hand Throating..

Afy

Hand Throating..

I seem to have a 6mm BR barrel with no throat.

Am hitting the rifling right about 2.33 inches. So was thinking about getting a PTG Hand Throater and increasing the throat.

Now I have never throated a barrel, and do not have expert gunsmithing experience or tools.

I can switch a barrel on a Savage, or mount a scope or switch the stock. That is about it... advisable or am I just going to ruin a barrel?

Eric in NC

Re: Hand Throating..

Quote Originally Posted by Afy
    just going to ruin a barrel?
    While you certainly COULD get it perfectly concentric by hand, I really doubt you would (going to put torque to the sides on it no matter what if you do it by hand - real easy to "egg shape" it with a sharp reamer on soft barrel steel) and depth would just be a guess.

It will move forward on its own quick enough - just load lighter bullets for now and fire away!

Basic Member

Interesting thought. My guess is that it would be very difficult to end up with a finish free of gouges and chips/burrs because of uneven pressure applied with a hand tool. Just food for thought

farmboy

82boy

Am hitting the rifling right about 2.33 inches. So was thinking about getting a PTG Hand Throater and increasing the throat.

Now I have never throated a barrel, and do not have expert gunsmithing experience or tools.

I can switch a barrel on a Savage, or mount a scope or switch the stock. That is about it... advisable or am I just going to ruin a barrel?
    Is this a aftermarket barrel ?

Basic Member

Throating by hand is not big chore, BUT.. if you do not have a chamber guide and a stop, chances are you WILL screw it up. It is also beneficial to have a piece of scrap barrel to set the stop to.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Afy

Its a LW barrel.

So trying to hand ream would be a bad idea I think. Ah well lighter bullets it is... :)

Basic Member

I, with absolutely no mechanical ability, have used a Pacific hand throat reamer on a 30 cal. TC Contender barrel, with no problem. The pilot on the reamer fit the bore fine, this was ?luck?.
    My Striker in 308 Win. had little throat. Cast bullets had to be loaded so that the base was below the neck, an alledged accuracy destroyer. After 1219+ cast bullet light loads at ~1400 fps, the throat and lands had worn so that the bullets can now be loaded ~ .125" further out, bringing bullet bases well up into the neck.
    If you shoot it, a throat will appear.
    joe b.