Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ok, all BS aside, what is a great scope for long range shooting?

Ok, all BS aside, what is a great scope for long range shooting?

I have all my parts inbound on my new rifle build... So now its just down to a scope.

I would appreciate feedback.

I have a few 10x fixed SWFAs and they are great and cheap.... but I am ready to get something with a bit more reach.

I like MILS not MOAs.

I like a plain Jane not too busy reticule.

I want TARGET KNOBS.

An illuminated reticule is not necessary, but would be nice to have.

Rugged and good tracking would beat the greatest glass...

No Vortex or other cheap Chinese junk please.

Thanks

Nightforce, Kahles, Schmidt and Bender, ZCO, Swarovski, Steiner.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Nightforce, Kahles, Schmidt and Bender, ZCO, Swarovski, Steiner.
    Well, I know all those companies exist... I can look in their catalogs all day long.

But I was hoping to hear from someone here who has a particular model (with many of the characteristics described) who could give me his own first hand insight into his chosen optic...

Salesmen will tell you anything; Consumers and end-user are more likely to tell you the real story... which is what I am after.

You say a bit more reach. What distance do you think your going to be shooting at?
    1k is a long way. 1200 is a really long way.
    1400 is wow.
    I know you tube has vids of the 2 mile king etc. but that’s spraying and praying work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve shot to 1200 with a NF nxs 3.5-15
    I kept the scope on 10x

With a 300mag it was spray and pray work on a silhouette target.

Basic Member
    Athlon Cronus...but it's a christmas tree reticle. The best bang for the buck scope I own. I also have 2 Tract scopes that are excellent. You can get the 4-20x50 in a simple reticle.

You don't want "cheap" Chinese stuff but the upper-mid range Athlon scopes are very good as well. Look at the 5-25 TAC.

Basic Member
    If i were you i would be just using one of the 10x scopes you have and are happy with.
    First off power choice is an individual thing, some cant get enough, and others only want what is necessary.
    Im in the latter group, especially when long range hunting, i prefer a clearer image and a larger field of view, so my variable power scopes are rarely set over 10x regardless of the distance.
    One of my 7x 300 Wbys has a Leupold 3.5x10 variable on it and the other has a fixed 12x Leupold on it.
    Both scopes are old, bought in the early 80s.
    I dont need a zero stop, i know where my 100 yd zero is on the dial, and i also keep a masking tape reminder on the scope.
    0=22 up, meaning clicks up from the bottom as an example.
    Most hunters prefer MOA as opposed to mills, but both work, its simply what your used to using.
    For target shooting there could be an advantage to mills, but then im not a target shooter.
    A scope is simply an aiming device, the important thing is knowing how to use it.

Team Savage
    Take a look at the Burris XTR
    Very simple design and has functioned perfectly for me

Quote Originally Posted by hamiltonkiler View Post
    You say a bit more reach. What distance do you think your going to be shooting at?
    1400 is wow.
    I know you tube has vids of the 2 mile king etc. but that’s spraying and praying work.

I don't see myself ever shooting out to 1000 meters (1100 yards), but I would love to be able to so if needed; But realistically probably no further than 500 meters ( 550 yards).

I am not a hunter just a target shooter and collector... however I do want to be able to effectively dispatch "Blamtifa Zombies" from a distance if they come around to mess with my neighborhood...

Basic Member
    Like I told you on the phone, the Bushnell DMR II is one of the best bang for the buck scopes that you'll find right now.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020586712?pid=144123

Other than that, you're looking at scopes that will cost twice the price and more.
    Athlon Cronus BTR
    Delta Stryker HD
    Sightron SIII
    Tract Toric HD
    Nightforce
    S&B
    Kahles
    Minox
    Leica
    And others.

Basic Member
    [QUOTE=hamiltonkiler;487367]You say a bit more reach. What distance do you think your going to be shooting at?
    1400 is wow.

On the right day, meaning zero wind, you might be surprised how far you can hit things with a 22 mag.
    But then take a 30/06 rifle with a 180 gr bullet loaded to the standard level of velocity and zeroed for 100 yards.
    Take a 4’ square pc of plywood and prop it up at 400 yards, and put a target at the middle of it.
    Shoot 3 shots at the target, then go see where your bullets hit. or didnt. lol
    With the right conditions, and enough elevation adjustment in the scope, seemingly impossible shots might become possible.
    But dont be betting what you cant afford to lose that it will happen.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geneackley View Post
    I don't see myself ever shooting out to 1000 meters (1100 yards), but I would love to be able to so if needed; But realistically probably no further than 500 meters ( 550 yards).

I am not a hunter just a target shooter and collector... however I do want to be able to effectively dispatch "Blamtifa Zombies" from a distance if they come around to mess with my neighborhood...
    All the more reason to just use one of your existing scopes.
    At least till you get some experience with the gun and determine you want something else.

I’ve shot to 1200 with a NF nxs 3.5-15
    I kept the scope on 10x

With a 300mag it was spray and pray work on a silhouette target.

I keep hearing that... makes me wonder if I really need any more magnification than that?

Quote Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
    Like I told you on the phone, the Bushnell DMR II is one of the best bang for the buck scopes that you'll find right now.

Other than that, you're looking at scopes that will cost twice the price and more.
    Athlon Cronus BTR
    Delta Stryker HD
    Sightron SIII
    Tract Toric HD
    Nightforce
    S&B
    Kahles
    Minox
    Leica
    And others.
    I still have that one in mind very much in mind... just taking on last look around before I pull the trigger.

[QUOTE=yobuck;487384]
    1400 is wow.

On the right day, meaning zero wind, you might be surprised how far you can hit things with a 22 mag.
    But then take a 30/06 rifle with a 180 gr bullet loaded to the standard level of velocity and zeroed for 100 yards.
    Take a 4’ square pc of plywood and prop it up at 400 yards, and put a target at the middle of it.
    With the right conditions, and enough elevation adjustment in the scope, seemingly impossible shots might become possible.
    The farthest I have ever shot is 386 yards on my property. But there is a range 20 minutes West of me and they have a 1000 yard range (about 900 meters - not quite 1 K). Never shot there but I have decided to go at least once now that I am retired and have the time. I have a 50 BMG that has never been properly pushed out close to its limits... I have a fixed SWFA 16x on it....

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    All the more reason to just use one of your existing scopes.
    At least till you get some experience with the gun and determine you want something else.
    I almost tend to agree... BUT as much as I love my "fleet" of 10X SWFAs, I am ready to get something with at least an illuminated reticule even if in the same power range. None of my present scopes have that and I am ready for a little upgrade.

Thanks!!!

Basic Member
    [QUOTE=yobuck;487384]
    1400 is wow.

Anyone that has good shooting techniques, and shoots a cartridge with enough velocity & correct bullet type can easily shoot at long ranges. If you use any of the many Ballistic programs that are available, and learn to read wind conditions, shooting long range is no different than shooting groups at 100 yards.

It's not that hard if you know what it takes to do it, reading the wind is the biggest learning curve.
    You may think the guy's shooting at KO 2 miles are spraying and praying, but there are so many environmental conditions to over come between the shooter and the target.
    The farthest that I shoot is 1793 yards, depending on the changing wind conditions between the shooter and the target from the moment you pull the trigger until the bullet reaches the distance, what should be a perfect shot, becomes a 1-2 ft miss.

This is the 2k yard range that I shoot at-

Quote Originally Posted by celltech View Post
    Athlon Cronus...but it's a christmas tree reticle. The best bang for the buck scope I own. I also have 2 Tract scopes that are excellent. You can get the 4-20x50 in a simple reticle.

You don't want "cheap" Chinese stuff but the upper-mid range Athlon scopes are very good as well. Look at the 5-25 TAC.

I have heard good things about Athlons and Tract. I will see about the 5-25 Tac. Maybe my local gun store has one I can look through.

And yes, I am sure the Chinese can put as much quality into their scopes as they would desire to, when they want to...

Or as little as they can get away with - as would often seem to be the case with Vortex!

[QUOTE=Txhillbilly;487391]
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post

Anyone that has good shooting techniques, and shoots a cartridge with enough velocity & correct bullet type can easily shoot at long ranges. If you use any of the many Ballistic programs that are available, and learn to read wind conditions, shooting long range is no different than shooting groups at 100 yards.

It's not that hard if you know what it takes to do it, reading the wind is the biggest learning curve.
    You may think the guy's shooting at KO 2 miles are spraying and praying, but there are so many environmental conditions to over come between the shooter and the target.
    The farthest that I shoot is 1793 yards, depending on the changing wind conditions between the shooter and the target from the moment you pull the trigger until the bullet reaches the distance, what should be a perfect shot, becomes a 1-2 ft miss.

This is the 2k yard range that I shoot at-

Tex, Is this that place out in Cresson that has now been closed down?

There is a place 20 minutes west of me called TAC PRO. It has a 1000 yard range but I have never actually shot there... yet. Sounds like a good place for us to go and maybe you can show me how its done since I have never shot further than the 381 yards ( 350 meters ) on my place.

By the way, I have a Barrett M99 50 BMG that has never had its legs stretched out either.... sounds like we need to make that happen now that the good weather is almost here.

Basic Member
    I have shot to 1000 with my 10 and 12 power SWFA SS's and they did ok.
    I have shot to 1000 with my Burris XTR2's, the 3-15, 4-20 and 5-25's all did great and are a significant step up from the SWFA's, better glass, better reticles and just as reliable tracking as the swfa's. i got them for $620, $700, $720 and $800. This scope is built like a tank and if you love SWFA's, then this is right up your alley. For the price i just love them. The down side, the early ones are not known for their glass and i have one old one that is not great. I also have one that is pretty good and two that have excellent glass. Generally the real optical snobs think that only the 4-20 is great glass, but one of my 3-15's ranks right up there with the 4-20 i have. I HIGHLY recommend this scope! These were built in the Phillippines.
    I have also shot to 1000 with my Steiner P4Xi, same great tracking that other burris/steiner products have, but by far better glass than the XTR2's... if the turrets weren't so stiff it would be a slam dunk when i got it on sale for $750. It really has spectacular glass, a lighted SCR reticle, zero stop and a revolution indicator for when you are dialing past 10 MIL. I like it a lot even with the stiff turrets. This is built right here in the good ole USA in Colorado, so there is that.
    I have gone to 800 with my Burris Veracity, and Athalon Ares BTR Gen1 with the gen 2 turrets I got them from expertvoice and am not supposed to disclose the discounted price, but they were both pretty good for the money. The Burris Veracity (have 3 of them) is my favorite hunting scope and very nice optional "Mad Knob" turrets, but once the zero stop is set you are limited to one revolution of the turret (25 MOA) and they only come in MOA scopes. But the E1 FFP reticle is a genius design and you can see it at low power 30 minutes after sunset (a feat that is hard to match with a non lighted FFP reticle) it uses a progressively thick reticle design, i believe it is patented and why you just don't see it on other brands. The athalon Ares BTR is just a really nice well thought out ffp target scope. I have a very late gen 1 that was made with the gen 2 turrets and they are nice turrets, but don't really hold a candle to the Burris XTR2 turrets. The glass is respectable and it is about as good as my better XTR2 glass and i really like the reticle a WHOLE LOT! Overall i really can't recommend the Veracity or the Athalon Ares BTR over the Burris XTR2 if you are looking for a target scope. Honestly i am not sure where either is built, but i want to say the veracity might be phillipines and the Ares BTR might be China.
    I have shot out to 1473 yards with my Zeiss V4 Conquest 4-16x44. on my 300 WSM Savage Ultralite It shot a nice 4 shot group about a MOA, but i never measured. It has nice turrets, good glass but not spectacular like the Steiner. It is a second focal plane scope, and i generally am not a fan of second focal plane scopes. It has a ZBR2 reticle, so it is a nice Christmas tree reticle. This scope does everything well, but IMO it doesn't do anything spectacular. I also got this from expertvoice so i can't discuss price, but i have seen them around $800 pretty often. it is a very alright scope. I have shot this combo out farther than any other gun i own, but that is due to not being able to shoot some of my better guns at that distance... because i am sure i can.
    I just picked up a Bushnell BMR2 from Midway for $720 and i haven't actually shot the rifle it is on yet, but it seems to have pretty nice glass and was made in the LOW factory in Japan and everything i have read tells me that this is a very low risk buy. The G3 is a super nice reticle and it has a great feeling turret (maybe not as good of feeling turret as the XTR2, but still pretty dang nice) I was thinking about getting one with the illuminated G3 reticle for $820 after i saw how nice the non-illuminated one is.
    I have shot out to 1473 with my brothers gun that has a Kahles... not sure on model, but it is better than any scope i have. great reticle, turrets, nice and clear (not as clear as his steiner t5xi, but that is a fantastic scope too). It is honestly hard not to recommend a Steiner t5xi, Kahles, Revic... etc it all depends on what you need but they are all over $2k.

Basic Member
    [QUOTE=geneackley;487394]
    Quote Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post

Tex, Is this that place out in Cresson that has now been closed down?

There is a place 20 minutes west of me called TAC PRO. It has a 1000 yard range but I have never actually shot there... yet. Sounds like a good place for us to go and maybe you can show me how its done since I have never shot further than the 381 yards ( 350 meters ) on my place.

By the way, I have a Barrett M99 50 BMG that has never had its legs stretched out either.... sounds like we need to make that happen now that the good weather is almost here.
    Yes, That is at Triple C Tactical. Hopefully, He will get the issue worked out that he has with the other property owned by a Trust.
    I've shot at Tac Pro years ago, but there's another 1200 yard range - ETTS, that's about 45 minutes south of me that I'll probably join since Triple C is closed.

I'm always game for shooting long range!

Quote Originally Posted by want2ride View Post
    I have shot to 1000 with my 10 and 12 power SWFA SS's and they did ok.
    I have shot to 1000 with my Burris XTR2's, the 3-15, 4-20 and 5-25's all did great and are a significant step up from the SWFA's, better glass, better reticles and just as reliable tracking as the swfa's. i got them for $620, $700, $720 and $800. This scope is built like a tank and if you love SWFA's, then this is right up your alley. For the price i just love them. The down side, the early ones are not known for their glass and i have one old one that is not great. I also have one that is pretty good and two that have excellent glass. Generally the real optical snobs think that only the 4-20 is great glass, but one of my 3-15's ranks right up there with the 4-20 i have. I HIGHLY recommend this scope! These were built in the Phillippines.
    I have also shot to 1000 with my Steiner P4Xi, same great tracking that other burris/steiner products have, but by far better glass than the XTR2's... if the turrets weren't so stiff it would be a slam dunk when i got it on sale for $750. It really has spectacular glass, a lighted SCR reticle, zero stop and a revolution indicator for when you are dialing past 10 MIL. I like it a lot even with the stiff turrets. This is built right here in the good ole USA in Colorado, so there is that.
    I have gone to 800 with my Burris Veracity, and Athalon Ares BTR Gen1 with the gen 2 turrets I got them from expertvoice and am not supposed to disclose the discounted price, but they were both pretty good for the money. The Burris Veracity (have 3 of them) is my favorite hunting scope and very nice optional "Mad Knob" turrets, but once the zero stop is set you are limited to one revolution of the turret (25 MOA) and they only come in MOA scopes. But the E1 FFP reticle is a genius design and you can see it at low power 30 minutes after sunset (a feat that is hard to match with a non lighted FFP reticle) it uses a progressively thick reticle design, i believe it is patented and why you just don't see it on other brands. The athalon Ares BTR is just a really nice well thought out ffp target scope. I have a very late gen 1 that was made with the gen 2 turrets and they are nice turrets, but don't really hold a candle to the Burris XTR2 turrets. The glass is respectable and it is about as good as my better XTR2 glass and i really like the reticle a WHOLE LOT! Overall i really can't recommend the Veracity or the Athalon Ares BTR over the Burris XTR2 if you are looking for a target scope. Honestly i am not sure where either is built, but i want to say the veracity might be phillipines and the Ares BTR might be China.
    I have shot out to 1473 yards with my Zeiss V4 Conquest 4-16x44. on my 300 WSM Savage Ultralite It shot a nice 4 shot group about a MOA, but i never measured. It has nice turrets, good glass but not spectacular like the Steiner. It is a second focal plane scope, and i generally am not a fan of second focal plane scopes. It has a ZBR2 reticle, so it is a nice Christmas tree reticle. This scope does everything well, but IMO it doesn't do anything spectacular. I also got this from expertvoice so i can't discuss price, but i have seen them around $800 pretty often. it is a very alright scope. I have shot this combo out farther than any other gun i own, but that is due to not being able to shoot some of my better guns at that distance... because i am sure i can.
    I just picked up a Bushnell BMR2 from Midway for $720 and i haven't actually shot the rifle it is on yet, but it seems to have pretty nice glass and was made in the LOW factory in Japan and everything i have read tells me that this is a very low risk buy. The G3 is a super nice reticle and it has a great feeling turret (maybe not as good of feeling turret as the XTR2, but still pretty dang nice) I was thinking about getting one with the illuminated G3 reticle for $820 after i saw how nice the non-illuminated one is.
    I have shot out to 1473 with my brothers gun that has a Kahles... not sure on model, but it is better than any scope i have. great reticle, turrets, nice and clear (not as clear as his steiner t5xi, but that is a fantastic scope too). It is honestly hard not to recommend a Steiner t5xi, Kahles, Revic... etc it all depends on what you need but they are all over $2k.
    Thank you so much for taking the time to write such an extensive reply. There is much to chew on here.. and be sure that I will.

I am pretty certain that I want FFP and MIL turrets and reticule... and not a "hunting scope".

I can't really spend $2000 right now...but I could do $1000. So some of those 750 dollar jobs sound perfect!!!

I looked at a Burris XTR II once a couple of years back and it was built like a brick shit house ( thats a good thing in Texas - ha ha ), but the glass seemed dark. I am a senior citizen with old eyes and wear glasses to boot, so light is important to me... which is probably one of the reasons I have used fixed power scopes ( fewer lenses ) for so long... and lower cost and more ruggedness too.

The Bushnell BMR2 that you mention intreagues me and the price is right... Txhillbilly speaks highly of another Bushnell called the DMR2... so thats two recomendations for Bushnells that I may have to follow up closely on...

Again thank you all so much. Your advice is really educational and helpful!!!

There is no BMR, I believe it was a misquoteBushnell Elite Tactical DMR II 3.5-21x50 - G3 under $900

The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    There is no BMR, I believe it was a misquoteBushnell Elite Tactical DMR II 3.5-21x50 - G3 under $900

Yep, thanks for the correction. I am not sure why i typed Bmr2 when it was obviously the Dmr2... I think i wrote BTR too many times when i was talking about the athalon scope i have and just got the old wires crossed.

Basic Member
    The Bushnell DMR II is a little outdated feature wise, but it's probably the best scope out there under $1k. To beat what it brings to the shooter, you'll have to look at scopes in the $1500 range, and most scopes today in that range only offer different versions of a Christmas tree reticle that tend to be rather busy for some of us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast