Thread: Shooting short action rounds in a long action receiver?

Shooting short action rounds in a long action receiver?

I am building my first long action rifle. However my long action barrel (280 AI) will not be delivered for several months.!

Now I know its probably unorthodox, but are there any issues with temporarily installing a short action barrel on a long action receiver? You see, someone is offering me a brand new 6.5 Creedmoor take off barrel and I am considering the purchase for my new build.

The rims are the same in the 280 AI and Creedmoor, and the Creedmoor fits and seems to feed well in the long action magazine...

I realize my bolt will have to make a needlessly long journey to strip off a round... but... aside from that, shouldnt this work just fine for a few months till the right barrel comes in from the manufacturer?

In other words, is this done or am I just the biggest weirdo here???

BY THE WAY, my action is a NUCLEUS Mauser type with controlled feed... Surely that will work in my favor, won't it?

Thank you everyone. Good night!

Basic Member
    Gene, You just can't wait to use that action!

As far as shooting a short action cartridge from a long action receiver goes, you shouldn't have a problem. I've never tried it using Accurate magazines, but it should work.

Basic Member
    You can always feed it one at a time.
    Put a round in close the bolt and shoot it.

Thank you fellas!!!

I picked up a 30-06 barrel a few days ago, but it was a sporter type. When I finally got it into my hands, I realized it was just way too thin. I really didn't like it.

So I mulled over my options but THERE SIMPLY ISNT MUCH OUT THERE RIGHT NOW to chose from!!

So I came across this 6.5 Creedmoor, Heavy Varmint, 24 inches, threaded muzzle... as "tactical" as the rest of my gun and not an "eye sore" (ha ha). So it on its way home.

I already have two more 6.5 Creedmoors... one is a Tikka and the other is an AR10 that actually has TWO 6.5 uppers, so a third rifle in that caliber doesnt really make much sense until you figure that I may not always have 280 Ackley loaded up or available.

Also I have dies for the Creedmoor and lots of bullets and powders and primers... I have NO DIES for either the 280 or the 280 AI yet... Brownells has them on backorder, so who knows when I will get them.

So doing a temporary Creedmoor option actually breaks the "log jam" and lets me start enjoying my gun next week till the rest of the stuff slowly comes in. I also dont need to buy another bolt face for my action or new brass that I dont own (and probably couldnt find or afford if I could find it).

It works and its a good solid caliber.

Basic Member
    I recently learned that you never know until you try with the 6.5 CM. Here are some of the results I had. All magazines and stocks are Savage other than the Archangel. I realize you aren't using a Savage action - posting this for others who might drop by, or if you decide to try a Savage action later with the 6.5 Creedmoor barrel. https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...t-feeding-well

• Would NOT feed reliably from a center feed short action that started out as a 243
    • Would NOT feed from an Archangel stock / mag with the same action above, but WOULD feed from the action below.
    • WOULD feed well from a center feed short action that started out as a 300 WSM
    • WOULD feed from two different, short action, flat rear, staggered feed guns.
    • WOULD feed from both staggered and center feed LONG actions.

You may find that even if the actions match what worked for me above, they may not work for someone else.