Thread: An Ackley Improved section???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

An Ackley Improved section???

I wonder if we could get a section here devoted to just the Ackley Improved cartridges and firearm issues? There is so much about them that is unusual and different... it sure would be nice to be able to gather it all in one easy to find centralized location... and get all the Ackleyites talking in their own corner (so they don't annoy the rest of the forum... ha ha) !!!

It's just a suggestion: I am sure you get many, and we will all live if you don't make it happen!

But it sure would be nice...

Thanks

Gene

Basic Member
    I guess i dont understand where owning one type of a gun is much different from owning another type.
    They all fill a need for whatever reason for the one owning them.

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    I guess i dont understand where owning one type of a gun is much different from owning another type.
    They all fill a need for whatever reason for the one owning them.
    Perhaps you are correct, but speaking for myself, having never owned an Ackley, and presently putting one together, there are a lot of things that I did not know beforehand. Likewise, I am sure there are still many other things that I don't know that I don't know!!!

Anyway, it's not really a problem. I just thought it would be a helpful idea.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geneackley View Post
    Perhaps you are correct, but speaking for myself, and having never owned an Ackley, and presently putting one together, there are a lot of things I did not know beforehand, and I am sure there are still many others that I don't know that I don't know!!!

Anyway, it's not really a problem. I just thought it would be a helpful idea.
    Well im certainly no authority on anything, including guns with Ackley chambers.
    But i do own one, a 22/250, and if i were to own another it would probably be a 280.
    The one i have was recommended by a gunsmith friend who like me likes to hunt prairie dogs.
    He gave me the load he uses and thats the one i still use.
    I just loaded factory 22/250 brass and shot it, when the case came out it had a different shape.
    But thats really all that was involved.
    As for the 280, i have owned several 7 rem mags.
    I do think it is a very good cartridge, but it isnt an ultra mag either.
    So why not have an ultra mag if your looking for more performance?
    The claim of ( almost ) the same performance, is the same as saying not quite as good, at least imop.
    I used 65 gr 4831 with the 162 gr bullet in my factory Rem 700 7 mag to get a rounded up 3000 fps.
    I really dont think thats a major difference in cost by way of powder charge over what a 280 AI will be.
    That was also 40 years ago, no doubt some of the newer powders might improve that somewhat.

What separates the Ackley Improved from other savages 10/110?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    What separates the Ackley Improved from other savages 10/110?
    Nothing - other than you'll typically have to do some fiddling with the feed lips on your magazine box to get them to feed properly.

As for the OP's question about a dedicated board, not going to happen as there's just not enough Ackley talk to justify it - and the topics that would come up regarding Ackley's (feeding and reloading) is already represented by other boards.

As yobuck pointed out, there's really nothing "special" about the Ackley Improved cartridges that makes them unique amongst cartridges. Once the parent case is fire-formed in an Ackley chamber it's the same as sizing/reloading any other cartridge. Only thing you might have to contend with is a doughnut forming at the base of the neck, but that's not exactly unique to the Ackley cases.

As for forming brass, it's pretty simple:

1. Run your new parent case brass through your FL Ackley die. This will set the neck/shoulder position back as the steeper shoulder angle usually necessitates the neck/shoulder junction being moved back a bit creating a slightly longer neck.

2. Fire-Form your brass (couple options here)

1. Load up your brass with standard parent case loads and shoot in your Ackley chambered barrel to blow out the shoulders.
    2. Load up with a small charge of a pistol powder (I generally use Bullseye or Blue-Dot), fill the rest of the case with some old corncob or walnut tumbling media, then plug the case mouth with wax or bar soap. This is the "money saver" method as you aren't using much powder or a bullet, but you'll have to experiment with your charge weight to figure out just how much powder is needed to fully form the brass.

When I built my first AI rifle some 16 years ago I started off using the latter method to form my brass with the pistol powder, but can't say I've used that method at all in the last 10 years or so.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain