Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone tried the new ARKEN scopes?

Has anyone tried the new ARKEN scopes?

Has anyone here actually tried one?

I would appreciate any first hand impressions.

By the way, Rex tortured his on a 50 cal and it held up well...

Thanks.

https://youtu.be/3AuvE31W8t0

Basic Member
    Sounds too good to be true. Coming from someone that spends a lot of money for good, high quality scopes.

I just don't see how anyone could build / sell a scope for $500 and think it would compete with scopes costing 2-3 times as much. It would be a hell of a deal if they were as good as they are saying they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
    Sounds too good to be true. Coming from someone that spends a lot of money for good, high quality scopes.

I just don't see how anyone could build / sell a scope for $500 and think it would compete with scopes costing 2-3 times as much. It would be a hell of a deal if they were as good as they are saying they are.

Yeah... I agree; When it sounds too good to be true, its best to be very skeptic.

Thats precisely why I wanted to hear from someone here who actually had one.

Tex, I need a scope for my new baby. Can you recommend a decent one? Might YOU have one to sell since you are a "collector of fine optical glass"?

Let me know. But I still want to hear more about these ARKEN scopes...

I know the creators are from the US... but I think their scopes are actually made in China - although I think ONE model has Japanese glass at least!

Basic Member
    Call me and we can discuss what you're wanting. The distances in which you will be shooting, whether you want a First or Second focal plane, Mil or MOA reticle / turrets, magnification range wanted, scope features, and finally, How much you are willing to spend.

Quote Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
    Call me and we can discuss what you're wanting. The distances in which you will be shooting, whether you want a First or Second focal plane, Mil or MOA reticle / turrets, magnification range wanted, scope features, and finally, How much you are willing to spend.

FFP

MIL reticle and matching target turrets (the only way to fly).

I don't see myself shooting zombies any further than 1100 yards or 1000 meters.

I am conservative in my magnification since only the best optics can really deliver it well. So the magnification will depend on the optical quality of the scope chosen. 25x on a Schmidt Bender will look a lot nicer than through a Tasco!!! That's why in the past I have often stayed with 10x fixed SWFAs, since that magnification was DELIVERABLE acceptably well by the lower cost optics.

Check this video out... pretty cool:

https://youtu.be/Ss_txbH3yls

IMO, the price of a scope does NOT guarantee anything,nor a brand name (I AM surprised to see so much bad blood with Vortex scopes ).

I'd like to see a video of someone take a dozen scopes, with NO brand name nor price and then run them all through the mill (not like those tests) and see how they stack up and then reveal. I mean, the two vids of "torture tests", is that really what we look for in a scope? Is that what the over the top price tag (BTW, that reminds me of when I was a teen and the stereo system we'd put in the car cost more than the car itself) is for? BTW, is all that "ripping" the turrets back and forth and banging the gun on the table, etc. and then going to zero, really a good representation of a good scope? I think not. I know I'll never be in a situation where my scope needs to endure all that (my combat days are long over), so what do we look for in a "good" scope (does anyone really buy a BAD scope on purpose?)?

IMO, besides, MOA vs MIl and 1st focal point vs 2nd, illuminated retical, etc., that's all personal preference, but if the lens are coated= good; if the scope is waterproof and fog-proof=good; If the turrets are 1/8" MOA, when you SLOWLY click the turrets, does the retical instantly move?=good; if it tracks- 8 clicks =1"MOA , so 8 clicks should move the retical 1" (I actually made a 1" grid target and set it out for this test- at 100 yds {8 clicks} and 50 yds {16 clicks} and then 25yds {20 clicks}) and then the appropriate clicks back, should bring it back 1", with no hesitation or error=good; If the scope has an adjustable Objective lens and it focuses at the distances that're stamped on it=good. If the parallax is 25yds to infinity=good; IF it returns and maintains zero=good. Lastly, if the scope doesn't cost more than the rifle and ammo=VERY good. Genecakley, you mention that "25x on a Schmidt Bender will look alot nicer than through a Tasco", well I'd like to see what "nicer" looks like, cause i DO have a Tasco (10-40X50) and my Tasco does ALL that I posted here. Anyway, YMMV.
    Stevens 110E Series K #Gunblue490 Semper Fi

Basic Member
    [QUOTE=geneackley;487361]FFP

I am conservative in my magnification since only the best optics can really deliver it well. So the magnification will depend on the optical quality of the scope chosen. 25x on a Schmidt Bender will look a lot nicer than through a Tasco!!!

That could no doubt be counted on, lol

Google say's !!.....Arken scopes are made in China.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Quote Originally Posted by Fuj' View Post
    Google say's !!.....Arken scopes are made in China.

Indeed. The horror!!!!!

I was seriously contemplating buying one because of all the outstanding reviews by so many people that I tend to trust.... but... being made by our ENEMIES does not agree with me.

I think the Japanese BUSHNELL in my price range (that I wound up purchasing) is a solid choice. It also has really great reviews and being on sale didnt hurt either!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cchgn View Post
    IMO, the price of a scope does NOT guarantee anything,nor a brand name (I AM surprised to see so much bad blood with Vortex scopes ).

I'd like to see a video of someone take a dozen scopes, with NO brand name nor price and then run them all through the mill (not like those tests) and see how they stack up and then reveal. I mean, the two vids of "torture tests", is that really what we look for in a scope? Is that what the over the top price tag (BTW, that reminds me of when I was a teen and the stereo system we'd put in the car cost more than the car itself) is for? BTW, is all that "ripping" the turrets back and forth and banging the gun on the table, etc. and then going to zero, really a good representation of a good scope? I think not. I know I'll never be in a situation where my scope needs to endure all that (my combat days are long over), so what do we look for in a "good" scope (does anyone really buy a BAD scope on purpose?)?

IMO, besides, MOA vs MIl and 1st focal point vs 2nd, illuminated retical, etc., that's all personal preference, but if the lens are coated= good; if the scope is waterproof and fog-proof=good; If the turrets are 1/8" MOA, when you SLOWLY click the turrets, does the retical instantly move?=good; if it tracks- 8 clicks =1"MOA , so 8 clicks should move the retical 1" (I actually made a 1" grid target and set it out for this test- at 100 yds {8 clicks} and 50 yds {16 clicks} and then 25yds {20 clicks}) and then the appropriate clicks back, should bring it back 1", with no hesitation or error=good; If the scope has an adjustable Objective lens and it focuses at the distances that're stamped on it=good. If the parallax is 25yds to infinity=good; IF it returns and maintains zero=good. Lastly, if the scope doesn't cost more than the rifle and ammo=VERY good. Genecakley, you mention that "25x on a Schmidt Bender will look alot nicer than through a Tasco", well I'd like to see what "nicer" looks like, cause i DO have a Tasco (10-40X50) and my Tasco does ALL that I posted here. Anyway, YMMV.

First of all THANK YOU for your service. My grandfather was a Marine in the 98 war with Spain in Cuba, my father was a Marine, my daughter is a Marine and she married a Marine (a damned Yankee from Massachussets - you can't win them all - ha ha!!). But anyway...

I agree with your idea of taking a dozen scopes without name tags and trying them out side by side on an equal footing... but unlike you, I do think the torture tests where you bang them around and put them in the sun for an hour and then pour ice water on them are not useless. Quite to the contrary, they inspire a lot of confidence in me.

We may not be in combat again anytime soon, but I still don't want to have my scope fail if it gets banged around in the back of a jeep on the way to a hunting spot. Being a mechanic by trade, perhaps I am biased by well built mechanical devices! Botton line, I just see no need for a "fragile scope"!

As for glass, it is TRUE that TASCO can make good lenses. As an amateur astronomer, I have had many telescopes in my youth, and some were in fact Tascos. But the truth is that these companies make scopes to the specifications that are ORDERED from them!!! So Tasco can make FINE or crappy optics AS REQUIRED of them.

But ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL, it is quite REASONABLE TO ASSUME that a HIGH END German scope maker like Schmidt Bender is going to have better glass than a "Walmart Class" Tasco made in China! Just facts!!!

Could I be wrong? Surely... But I don't think so, given that otherwise so many people and GOVERNMENTS wouldn't be paying the high dollar prices for the Schmidt Benders if Tascos were just as good a buy... would they?

Mind you, I dont own a Schmidt Bender: The resident scope glass sCHnob here is Txhillbilly!!. Most of my scopes are SWFA's whose glass is ACTUALLY MADE BY TASCO and they are quite acceptable for sure... but let's not kid ourselves: They are no Schmidt Benders!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cchgn View Post

Here you go. This guy does a rigorous test on every scope he gets his hands on. Some very inexpensive scopes get high praise.

https://www.youtube.com/c/AirgunClassicsJoeWRhea/videos

Then This

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPP-DYhEk_c
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geneackley View Post
    Indeed. The horror!!!!!

I was seriously contemplating buying one because of all the outstanding reviews by so many people that I tend to trust.... but... being made by our ENEMIES does not agree with me.

I think the Japanese BUSHNELL in my price range (that I wound up purchasing) is a solid choice. It also has really great reviews and being on sale didnt hurt either!!!
    What is your opinion of the Bushnell Nitro series? I have two of them and so far they are good but maybe I got lucky. There are some with the Vortex that defend them but after 2 failures it was enough. I really don't have enough experience to know what is good and what to avoid. They are very attractively priced now but I believe they are being discontinued. There must be a huge profit in scopes when they can discount them so much from list price.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Snerdly View Post
    What is your opinion of the Bushnell Nitro series? I have two of them and so far they are good but maybe I got lucky. There are some with the Vortex that defend them but after 2 failures it was enough. I really don't have enough experience to know what is good and what to avoid. They are very attractively priced now but I believe they are being discontinued. There must be a huge profit in scopes when they can discount them so much from list price.

Snerdly, this will be my first "high end Bushnell" ever. I have been stuck for a few years on very solid but very basic SWFAs.

But "on paper" that Bushnell sure looks great... PLUS a good friend here, our RESIDENT "HIGH END GLASS" SCOPE SCHNOB aka Texhillbilly, highly recommends it... and it just so happens to be on sale at Midway right now.... so it seemed like "all the stars were lining up" so I went ahead and bought it.

I had seriously considered the Arken... but a 4 to 5 month wait and the fact it was made in China kept me from buying one... although on paper it also looked very good and ALSO came well recommended by several Youtube reviewers I tend to trust like Cyclops, Rex and a couple of others...

But I am sure I made the better choice!!!

UPS tracking says my scope is in Dallas tonight so I am hoping to find it by my front door before tomorrow evening. I live an hour west of Fort Worth.

In any case I will let you guys know if its any good or not ( in my opinion). Hillbilly thinks its a little dated, but still a fine scope... especially at the sale price. For me it will be such a step up, that I am sure it won't seem dated at all!!!

But of course to our dear Resident Scope Glass Schnob, it certainly will be!!! Ha ha ha !!!

By the way I spell the word "snob" as "SCHNOB" because you are supposed to give the word a german accent!!!! ha ha ha ha !!!!! SCHHHHHNOB!!!! ha ha ha !!! Fine German glass does that to you!!!! ha ha ha ha !!!!

Good night fellas!!

Thanks again Tex!! I owe you big time!!!

BY THE WAY SNERDLY, are you per chance a fellow Dittohead????

Take care.

Gene

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Snerdly View Post
    I put a couple of the Nitro's on 22lr's of mine. They seem to be a decent scope, and have clear glass with a nice reticle. They hold zero really good, but I doubt they would last long if you used them for dialing for distance type shooting.
    For a set it and forget it type scope, I think they will work just fine. I shot a couple tree rats with one of them yesterday!

Basic Member
    Thanks for the comments on the Nitro scopes. A price of half of list, plus a 20% rebate from Bushnell, makes a very attractive price. I got one but like I said, I am new enough to the game I don't know if my previous experience with the Nitro was just me getting lucky or if they really were decent. I sure as hell got fooled on the Vortex Viper. So far, I have been very happy with the Nitro I have. I also won't be dialing a lot for a distance change.

I love my Bushnell's. I did wish the XRS line would have had a power
    upgrade up into the 50's. But when the series 2 came out, they stayed
    at 30 power. A good ol' NF 15-55x52 Comp filled that gap nicely.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

I needed some LOWER 34 mm rings for my new rifle and I ordered some from ARKEN that seemed very nice for just 59 bucks plus shipping and Tax. I saw nothing comparable on Midway. Let's hope they ship quickly, but it will be a good way to get an idea of their standards of quality first hand...

Basic Member
    Arken Optics is good stuff! I have been running one of their original EP4 4-16x50 MIL scopes on my 6.5CM. Good glass, good people!!

DK
    [B]Savage - Arken Optics - MDT - Seekins - MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ[/B]

Basic Member
    For the budget conscience shooters wanting a US made scope with US made glass, this is one I have owned several of and can say that you'll not find a better deal when it comes to bang for the buck than with Swift. https://www.opticsplanet.com/swift-8...cope-678m.html

You can buy a better scope, and you can always pay more for a lesser scope. These come with an adjustable objective and I've shot mine out to 1000 yds and it rings the bell as well as my $1000 scopes. Mine is currently sitting on a 6.5 CM that is stupid accurate. What's not to like?!
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    For the budget conscience shooters wanting a US made scope with US made glass, this is one I have owned several of and can say that you'll not find a better deal when it comes to bang for the buck than with Swift. https://www.opticsplanet.com/swift-8...cope-678m.html

You can buy a better scope, and you can always pay more for a lesser scope. These come with an adjustable objective and I've shot mine out to 1000 yds and it rings the bell as well as my $1000 scopes. Mine is currently sitting on a 6.5 CM that is stupid accurate. What's not to like?!

Clean your inbox so I can reply to your question before you go back home brother.

Banned
    Expensive scopes are quite nice. But it’s been proven time & time again, there are budget optics which have outstanding clarity, tracking and reliability. I can’t justify $2000+++ on a scope because none of my use warrants it. What’s more.. if your rig outfit with a SUB $700 scope, can smack a man size gong at 1000yds, AT WILL, and you switch to $2500 unit....your accuracy is NOT going to magically improve close to 4X! Hell..it won’t improve even a little. Will it be more enjoyable? Maybe...I mean..expensive stuff is fun to play with. But 4X more fun?? Well, I guess that lies with the individual.

The Arken seems to have the precision and reliability down for a price that defies logic. After building big name scopes for the American market China decided to show us what they learned. The big names were very profit oriented for their distributors so everything was compromised.

I don't think you will find An Arken anywhere but on their site or in the classifieds. Recently you could get a Gen 1 Athlon Cronus BTR new from several distributors for less than 1200. It had the 56mm objective where all of the Arkens are 50mm. The fact that Arken cannot keep them on the shelf says that doesn't matter...At that price point. If i found one I would probably try one. There is no doubt you can get your money back.

Me, I am a glass snob. I have gut shot game and missed them with cheap scopes. So I no longer trust them.

EDIT: Read my post below

Basic Member
    Buy Chinese junk ---- get Chinese junk.

Be American ---- buy American

Basic Member
    Everything I've seen about them has been positive. The glass looks very good, and they are top-rated in their price category.

For the price, they are overachievers by most accounts.

Check out the videos by Cyclops on YouTube.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast