Thread: No factory markings on a 1899 made in 1913

No factory markings on a 1899 made in 1913

I picked up a nice Model 1899 in 30-30 caliber at the pawn shop Thursday . It is a takedown model with a round 24 inch barrel .
    The odd thing about it is there are no factory markings on this rifle except for the serial number 142104 . I have looked up the serial number and it dates to 1913.
    O I forgot there is a small letter H in a circle stamped in front of the lever and that's it. There is not even a marking for the caliber of the barrel, I have a 99 saddle ring carbine model also and it was made in 1911 and it has markings in two places on the barrel. It has Savages Arms co and address in front of the rear sight and also a couple of lines on the left side of the rear sight and 303 stamped very deeply on the barrel just in front of the receiver on the left side of the barrel.
    But this take down model has no markings at all It does not say Savage on it any place. I thought the writing may have been buffed off during a reblue But it does not look like it has ever been reblued . I got the magnifying glass and went all over the barrel and there are no trace of any letters ever being on the barrel. Did any other company ever make after market barrels for the take down models ? If you have ever seen this before Please let me know. Thanks papabyrd

Basic Member
    If there's a scope mounted, the caliber could be under a mount. If it has been re-barreled, you might find the caliber on the bottom of the barrel (hidden by the fore stock).