Thread: Help with firing pin replacement - Savage 1917 .32 acp!

Help with firing pin replacement - Savage 1917 .32 acp!

I found this site, thank goodness, as I need help with one of my two Savage 1917 .32 acp pistols. I have wanted one of these for years. My favorite uncle had one that I saw when I was about 12 and I thought it to be really neat....and different from other pistols. I've been bidding on them at GunBroker for several months and finally landed two. One seems to be brand new and the other in great shape but certainly not as nice as the other. The other day I decided to fire the 'used' pistol and got off six shots before it quit. The firing pin broke where the retaining pin passes through it. I found a replacement at Jack First and now I need to install it.

I've had no trouble disassembling the pistol and removing the bolt. Removing the hammer seems straightforward too. But the procedure for removing the firing pin looks a bit more complicated, so I'm hoping you guys will be able to help, either by pointing to a you tube video or just listing some steps to take. I'm fairly handy and have plenty of tools (punches, etc.).

As I'm new here I can't post photos, but I hope that I can eventually show you both pistols. The 'brand new' .32 is absolutely stunning!

Thanks for any and all help!

Basic Member
    There is a sticky above about a Model 1915 pistol, most is the same with a 1917. There is a section on firing pin removal and that actually was done using a 1917 bolt. All was done using photobucket and they no longer allow the pictures to display correctly unless one gets a paid membership, the pictures have 'watermarks' and the videos do not seem to play at all.

A quick description of the procedure - I removed the pin holding the cocking piece first and put a loose fitting pin in to hold it, this also could be done last.
    Remove the firing pin spring retainer by pushing it up from the bottom far enough to get under it from the top with something to pry it all the way out, now the cocking piece, firing pin & spring can be removed.

Now the firing pin can be removed from the cocking piece by removing the pin.

To reinstall put all the parts back in except the firing pin spring retainer and re-pin the cocking piece.

Reinstall the firing pin spring retainer by starting it in until it is stopped by the spring, turn the bolt over and put some upward force on the retainer while using a screwdriver to compress the firing pin spring enough to allow the retainer to slip fully into the bolt.