I found this site, thank goodness, as I need help with one of my two Savage 1917 .32 acp pistols. I have wanted one of these for years. My favorite uncle had one that I saw when I was about 12 and I thought it to be really neat....and different from other pistols. I've been bidding on them at GunBroker for several months and finally landed two. One seems to be brand new and the other in great shape but certainly not as nice as the other. The other day I decided to fire the 'used' pistol and got off six shots before it quit. The firing pin broke where the retaining pin passes through it. I found a replacement at Jack First and now I need to install it.

I've had no trouble disassembling the pistol and removing the bolt. Removing the hammer seems straightforward too. But the procedure for removing the firing pin looks a bit more complicated, so I'm hoping you guys will be able to help, either by pointing to a you tube video or just listing some steps to take. I'm fairly handy and have plenty of tools (punches, etc.).

As I'm new here I can't post photos, but I hope that I can eventually show you both pistols. The 'brand new' .32 is absolutely stunning!

Thanks for any and all help!