Thread: Accustock/alloy chassis owners, tell me about your wear marks. Aluminum bedding block question.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

Accustock/alloy chassis owners, tell me about your wear marks. Aluminum bedding block question.

New owner of an accustock. My action and stock are showing fretting(rub marks, aluminum dust) at the rear action screw and along the sides, front to back. Nothing at the front action screw. The gun has only been fired 25 shots. Is this normal? Hows your action rubbing?

I made the assumption it was pivoting off the recoil lug, its not. It's floating off the edge pressure, running parallel with the action.

I'm tempted to bed the front half. I believe it needs more surface area to clamp on and hold still.

Let me know what you have seen. This could easily pertain to all the alloy chassis guys.

I'd wipe out the dust, tighten the action screws evenly, and shoot it again just to be sure it's not something left over from machining.
    If it's still creating aluminum dust it would have to be from friction which would seem to indicate somethings not tight enough or is being tightened unevenly.
    Good luck and I hope you figure it out.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

I think I would start off like BHJ by cleaning and putting the barrelled action back in the stock and torque. Slowly back off the rear and see if it has a spring feel like the action is being released from a bind. Tighten the screw back up and do the front. If there is any spring, bed it.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the replies. I torqued it to 40inlb before I shot it. Next time I will torque it again after a couple shots, see if anything changes. Would have been good to check before a I took it apart this time. It wasn't loose, but I don't have a number of what it settled to.

Anyone else with an accustock/alloy chassis, feel free to chime in.

Team Savage
    PM sent

Basic Member
    I bedded the front half. Now the front torques to spec a lot faster than the rear. This is from the rear section spreading as the action lowers to the floor... not what I consider a good turnout.