Thread: Where to buy a ready made standard shank 7mm Rem Mag barrel?

Where to buy a ready made standard shank 7mm Rem Mag barrel?

I have just recently ordered all the parts that I need to build my "dream rifle" in 280 Ackley improved.

Unfortunately the "dream barrel" wont be delivered for another 4 or 5 months from Xcaliber... Its a real bummer since everything else will be here in a week!!!!

So it occurred to me that (for now) maybe I could just buy a cheap ready-made 7mm Rem Magnum barrel (in the standard Savage shank) and just enjoy it until my "dream" barrel finally comes in...

What I DON'T KNOW is a good place where I can get such a ready-made 7mm Rem Mag barrel, since I am fairly new to the "Savage world".

Perhaps someone here could steer me in the right direction to find one fairly quickly???

Thanks.

Gene

I’ve got an unknown round count takeoff you can have for $50 plus shipping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ninner View Post
    I’ve got an unknown round count takeoff you can have for $50 plus shipping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am interested. Lets talk. I will PM you my number.

Basic Member
    Gene,
    It sounds like you're looking for a 7mm Rem Magnum barrel to put on an action fitted for a 280AI. Apologies in advance if I'm stating the obvious but if your action is fitted for a 280 AI, it has standard bolt face (0.470+/-). The 7mm Rem Mag will require a magnum bolt face (0.540 +/-). Might need to order another part (or two).

Quote Originally Posted by Beowoulf2000 View Post
    Gene,
    It sounds like you're looking for a 7mm Rem Magnum barrel to put on an action fitted for a 280AI. Apologies in advance if I'm stating the obvious but if your action is fitted for a 280 AI, it has standard bolt face (0.470+/-). The 7mm Rem Mag will require a magnum bolt face (0.540 +/-). Might need to order another part (or two).
    Or back to just one part; my new takeoff 30-06 from when I built the 280AI.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowoulf2000 View Post
    Gene,

Thanks Beowoulf, but the "dream gun" that I am building uses the Nucleus action which has interchangeable bolt faces so I can adapt it to just about any caliber short of the 338 Lapua. I have already planned to get the right bolthead as soon as I have secured a barrel.

Let me explain: Originally I sought to build this dream rifle in 7mm Rem Magnum... But the downside is that it has a bit more recoil than I would like, the brass is expensive, and then there is the belt at the bottom of the case which I dont really care for.

Upon further study I learned about the wonderful 280 Ackley Improved; It turns out that this cartridge is very close in performance to the 7 Rem Mag ( within 50 - 75 fps ), with considerably milder recoil, without the obnoxious belt, and to boot the cases can be made from plentiful and cheap 30-06 brass. Furthermore, the odd geometry of the Ackley allows cases to last much longer and its uniqueness appeals to my personal nature since i myself am a bit odd!! ha ha !!

But faced with the fact that all my gun parts will be here in a week, and that the barrel I ordered wont be forthcoming for months, I figured that If i could get a hold of a ready made barrel, that I could go ahead and get the proper bolt head and headspace gauges, and wind up with the two calibers i so long considered. You never know when ammo might be scarce in one caliber and not so much the other... Options are always good.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Orezona View Post
    Or back to just one part; my new takeoff 30-06 from when I built the 280AI.

I am a "ballistic coefficient snob". I was shooting the 6.5 Grendel and the 6.5 Creedmoor in my ARs long before that was considered "cool"... ( ha ha)!

I see the 7mm bullets in the 280 AI and the 7mm Rem Mag as very efficient rounds that fly long, flat and still pack a respectable punch without using lots of powder or kicking the crap out of you every time you pull the trigger... They are the bigger brothers of the efficient 6.5 rounds in the short action guns... I really wasnt looking to go 30-06 since that is going in the wrong direction from a BC standpoint...

But what kind of 30-06 barrel do you have and what would you take for it? I do have lots of old surplus 30-06 I could burn in it....

Let me know.

Thanks to you all.

Quote Originally Posted by geneackley View Post
    I am a "ballistic coefficient snob". I was shooting the 6.5 Grendel and the 6.5 Creedmoor in my ARs long before that was considered "cool"... ( ha ha)!

I see the 7mm bullets in the 280 AI and the 7mm Rem Mag as very efficient rounds that fly long, flat and still pack a respectable punch without using lots of powder or kicking the crap out of you every time you pull the trigger... They are the bigger brothers of the efficient 6.5 rounds in the short action guns... the 30 caliber 30-06 would be a big step in the wrong direction for me. I would rather save my money and just wait for the Ackley barrel a few months.

Again Thanks to you all.
    I was semi-joking but also pointing out that the 7 Rem Mag bolt face is not the same as your bolt face for the 280 AI. If I was in your train of thought or position, I would just wait for your 280AI barrel. Have everything you need on standby and enjoy the anticipation.

I understand your BC preference.

I own a 6.5 Creed, 280 AI, and 7-08 and a 30-06 which is a proven bad mamba jamba.

Quote Originally Posted by Orezona View Post
    I was semi-joking but also pointing out that the 7 Rem Mag bolt face is not the same as your bolt face for the 280 AI. If I was in your train of thought or position, I would just wait for your 280AI barrel. Have everything you need on standby and enjoy the anticipation.

I understand your BC preference.

I own a 6.5 Creed, 280 AI, and 7-08 and a 30-06 which is a proven bad mamba jamba.
    Yes, I can wait for my barrel. I probably will since buying another barrel also means possibly buying another bolt head, dies, headspace gauges, brass... all together its real money that would be best spent in powder and bullets for the 280 AI in 4 or 5 months, Its not like I don't have another 20 or 30 guns to shoot - ha ha ha !

BUT I REALLY would love to hear about your AI. I have never even held a round in my hands... I am buying it on faith in what I have read. So any light you can shed on the subject will be greatly appreciated. In particular i would be interested in how exactly you form your brass. Like I said i will be starting with old surplus 30-06 from the Korean war!!! I have lots left over from my old M1 Garand days... its long gone, but the brass and half of an ammo can dated 1952 are still here.

Basic Member
    I “think” bugholes does pre-fits? You might inquire. They stock a lot of good quality barrels so no waiting other than the thread/chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by gbflyer View Post
    I “think” bugholes does pre-fits? You might inquire. They stock a lot of good quality barrels so no waiting other than the thread/chamber.
    I will look them up. Thanks.

Team Savage

Good read here with cutaway chamber pictures - https://ackleyimproved.com/chamberin...ey-cartridges/

If I build another rifle it will be a 280AI.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    Good read here with cutaway chamber pictures - https://ackleyimproved.com/chamberin...ey-cartridges/

Thanks PhilC.

Obviously I agree with your thinking on your next rifle being a 280 AI, since I am doing the same.

When I decided I wanted a long range, long action, moderate recoil, economic to shoot, high BC bullet launching platform, I took WEEKS considering all the different options. I finally landed on 280 AI cartridge as the best, and most rational choice. Its big DISADVANTAGE is the lack of brass and commercial options... but being a reloader, and being able to convert old 30-06 brass into 280 AI, there really are no issues anymore.

My Nucleus receiver should be here by Tuesday; The KRG Bravo stock is on the FEDEX plane, the Triggertech trigger is also coming as well as head space gauges, barrel nut, barrel nut wrench, magazines, muzzle brake....

Only my barrel from Xcaliber and reloading dies from Brownells are on back order... bummer...

But I may have secured a 30-06 barrel that I can enjoy now and shoot my half can of Korean War surplus ammo with, and also "make reloading brass" in the process...

Next week should be fun.

oh, Another advantage of getting a 30-06 temporary barrel is that I dont need to swap out the bolt head and I dont need dies cause I dont plan to reload. Just some headspace gauges (and maybe I can borrow some), and that's it!

Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post

I have been thinking about getting that book... Thanks for the link. Very informative!!!

Basic Member
    Gene, I should have some 06 headspace gauges you can use.

Quote Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
    Gene, I should have some 06 headspace gauges you can use.

Great! That will give me the perfect excuse to come down and visit in person and finally meet you. Thanks!!!!

The guy I am getting the barrel from is in the process of getting a box or tube to ship it in, and it should be forthcoming in a week or two. Surely we will talk between now and then. Again, Thanks.

Do you have some kind of barrel vice???

By the way its a BRAND NEW BARREL never shot!!!! So I am pretty happy about that.