Thread: Savage 10 in .222 NOT .223

Savage 10 in .222 NOT .223

Greetings,

I've been sweating for a 340 in .222 to go with my 340 in 30-30. Just saw a Savage model 10 in .222 on LGS Website. They're closed now, but the rifle is in the serial range #G853xxx and I have no knowledge of this model. Does anybody know anything about this Model and caliber offering? Don't know if it's a varmint rifle or standard with iron sights. Just looking for answers before I drive a moderate distance to look at it.
    Thanks,
    Woody

Basic Member
    It has velocities around 3200fps.. cartride looks VERY similar to a .223.. been around since the 50s and is still regarded as a highly accurate round (good equipment of course)

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Do some internet searching on the Triple Deuce. The Predator Masters forum is full of 222 "Triple Deuce" owners.

Basic Member
    I think his question pertains to the rifle?
    Not the cartridge.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    I think his question pertains to the rifle?
    Not the cartridge.
    Yeah as I re-read the comment I believe your right:)

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Yup it's about the rifle.
    I looked all over the internet and there's very little except a couple of arguments that Savage never chambered the Model 10 in .222! Then one guy say he had one. All these conversations are old. Anybody know about the Rifle?

Basic Member
    There is the possibility that someone put a .222 barrel on their Model 10 and then sold it. Have to look at the stamping on the barrel to tell.

Oops, sorry.

Savage has never offered the .222 Rem in the 110 series rifles. They did however offer it in the Model 24 (24V) and the Model 340 back in the day, and also currently offer it in the Model 25. As such, if it is a 110-series rifle either A) someone special ordered the rifle from the factory (barrel will have factory roll marks); B) someone rebarreled said rifle with an aftermarket .222 Rem barrel (most likely scenario); or C) some distributor had Savage make a small run of them exclusively for them (very unlikely given the .222's minuscule market demand over the last 20-30 years).
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    Savage has never offered the .222 Rem in the 110 series rifles. They did however offer it in the Model 24 (24V) and the Model 340 back in the day, and also currently offer it in the Model 25. As such, if it is a 110-series rifle either A) someone special ordered the rifle from the factory (barrel will have factory roll marks); B) someone rebarreled said rifle with an aftermarket .222 Rem barrel (most likely scenario); or C) some distributor had Savage make a small run of them exclusively for them (very unlikely given the .222's minuscule market demand over the last 20-30 years).
    "No info on numbers made, but Savage only offered the .222 Rem in the 110-series from 1975-1978. The E was the "E"conomy model, meaning the cheapest so they're not exactly sought after collector pieces. Value-wise I'd say somewhere between $300 and 400 depending on condition, maybe a little more if you find that one guy that just has to have it."

Yikes! You can see my confusion now?

Basic Member
    Savage never offered the triple duece in that serial # range.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."