Thread: 99 in .22Savage to .308Winchester. Is it possible?

99 in .22Savage to .308Winchester. Is it possible?

Hi everybody.
    So, I wold like to know if it's possible to convert aSavage 99 originaly in .22 Savage to .308 Winchester.
    Recently I purchase a takedown Savage model 99 in .22 Savage caliber. But here, in Brazil, it's virtualy impossible to get any brass or bullet for these caliber. For another side, the .308 Winchester is the easyer rifle brass to find here.
    I know that the bolt face is different. But, i think, it is easy to change. My doubt is about the rotary magazine and about the frame. What do you think?

Basic Member
    It would probably be cheaper to trade up to a 99 in .308 than to re-barrel it and change the magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis98146 View Post
    It would probably be cheaper to trade up to a 99 in .308 than to re-barrel it and change the magazine.
    Hi Travis.
    I think I do that. But, this type of rifle is very rare here in Brazil. To be honest, I saw just one more of these rifles here.
    I'm lookink for rotary magazine to these rifle, but I couldn't know how my rifle model is.
    I know only that it was made in 1012

Basic Member
    To answer your question, I think it is not possible. Savage lengthened the magazine well and removed some material to accommodate the longer 243 and 308. You would definitely require a 308 rotor, but it may not fit.

It sounds like you hand load. Have you searched for the European designation for the 22 High Power, “5.6X52mmR”? Have you considered necking down 25-35?

Basic Member
    Easy to make 22 High Power brass from 25-35 winchester.
    Possible, a bit more difficult, to make it from 30-30 brass.