Thread: accurizing an axis?

accurizing an axis?

Anyone wanna share experiences with trying to blueprint the actions and such? I know most play with the 110's for this sorta thing, so I was curious.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeicide View Post
    Anyone wanna share experiences with trying to blueprint the actions and such? I know most play with the 110's for this sorta thing, so I was curious.
    You can re cut the chamber and bolt face on a lathe.
    Savage builds a “floating” sorta like bolt head to twist and push seat the bolt face on the cartridge back.

I would just bed your stock and work on your trigger.
    Make sure your barrel is floating.

Break the barrel in with serious scrubbing or following a shooting procedure.

Most axis rifles in 6.5 or .223 will shoot little groups beyond the guns price point.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I guess I would ask what do you hope to gain? How does it shoot now? How accurate would you like it to be and are you capable of shooting at that level?

It shoots bug holes now with hand loads. I took a Dremel to the forend where the cheap stalk was touching. I want to shoot heavier longer bullets and need a 1-7.5 twist and I was changing caliber to 243 AI. As for ability, I'm not sure how good my son is yet. I do know he holds sub MOA on every one of my guns that are capable of it. I spoke with Kevin Cram at Montour County Rifles about the work. I'm on the fence with whether or not to get the receiver threads recut or not. I like the idea, but I don't like that it will eliminate the barrel nut and create a need for custom threading on new barrels.

What’s the caliber now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Are you aware that NSS sells Savage pre-fits, and they show .243 AI as one of the chamber options? Don't the Axis rifles use the same thread and barrel nut of the 110 series guns? Good luck.

Dave

it's already a 243. I'm looking for the better head spacing and a little more powder. I'm looking to push 103gr at about 3100 fps or at least try to.

Quote Originally Posted by daved20319 View Post
    Are you aware that NSS sells Savage pre-fits, and they show .243 AI as one of the chamber options? Don't the Axis rifles use the same thread and barrel nut of the 110 series guns? Good luck.

Dave
    Well this is the first good news I've heard. I don't know much about the Criterion, but my smith wont touch shilen. Guess I get to do some reading today. Thanks for this info.

Basic Member
    It shoots bug holes now with hand loads. I took a Dremel to the forend where the cheap stalk was touching. I want to shoot heavier longer bullets and need a 1-7.5 twist and I was changing caliber to 243 AI. As for ability, I'm not sure how good my son is yet. I do know he holds sub MOA on every one of my guns that are capable of it. I spoke with Kevin Cram at Montour County Rifles about the work. I'm on the fence with whether or not to get the receiver threads recut or not. I like the idea, but I don't like that it will eliminate the barrel nut and create a need for custom threading on new barrels.
    Just under MOA to me is not bug holes. At that level do not bother changing the receiver. My stock Axis did that easily without bedding or special attention. After a new stock and some better attention to handloads the Axis is under 1/2MOA on most days (depends on how well I am shooting). Barrel and receiver are original factory assembly.

If the rifle is 'only' shooting 1/2MOA and you want better, then a good barrel and stock are where I would go. I'd have the receiver trued when the barrel was installed. Unless the gunsmith is experienced in building benchrest/precision rifles I would not have him cut threads. I've seen too many folks at the range with 'custom' built guns that just did not shoot well. The last one I ran into had a Brux barrel installed by his gunsmith and he could not get it to shoot into an inch at 100yd.

PS at this point you will probably have much more invested than the Axis action warrants.

Basic Member
    Are you going to chase velocity or accuracy? Punch paper or draw blood? If it's Bug Hole you think you are after then put a 6mm PPC barrel on it. Perfectly capable of taking table fare sized game of a hundred kilos at the same yardage with a single well placed shot with an appropriately chosen bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Just under MOA to me is not bug holes. At that level do not bother changing the receiver. My stock Axis did that easily without bedding or special attention. After a new stock and some better attention to handloads the Axis is under 1/2MOA on most days (depends on how well I am shooting). Barrel and receiver are original factory assembly.

If the rifle is 'only' shooting 1/2MOA and you want better, then a good barrel and stock are where I would go. I'd have the receiver trued when the barrel was installed. Unless the gunsmith is experienced in building benchrest/precision rifles I would not have him cut threads. I've seen too many folks at the range with 'custom' built guns that just did not shoot well. The last one I ran into had a Brux barrel installed by his gunsmith and he could not get it to shoot into an inch at 100yd.

PS at this point you will probably have much more invested than the Axis action warrants.
    I said my Child shoots under 1 MOA with my more acurate rifles. I shoot better then 1/4MOA with this rifle. The stock barrel has a slower twist rate than needed to stabilize 100gr bullets and that is why the rebarrel. We use primarily Hornady ELD-X and Cutting Edge bullets and the twist rates are 1.-7 to cover both of these and the Hammer bullets I may try.

Quote Originally Posted by daved20319 View Post

Dave
    After an email conversation they are listed but not stocked, so it's a 20 week lead time. I was pretty excited until I found that out. Thank you for the information on that site. I may be grabbing some prefits in something they stock in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by prdatr View Post
    Are you going to chase velocity or accuracy? Punch paper or draw blood? If it's Bug Hole you think you are after then put a 6mm PPC barrel on it. Perfectly capable of taking table fare sized game of a hundred kilos at the same yardage with a single well placed shot with an appropriately chosen bullet.
    We are looking to do both. The blue printing of the action is a buy once cry once thing. I plan to use this action on several builds as the barrels burn out. The 243 AI gives me good velocity with a heavy bullet and I don't have to throw out or retire a bunch of expensive brass and dies.

Basic Member
    We are looking to do both. The blue printing of the action is a buy once cry once thing. I plan to use this action on several builds as the barrels burn out. The 243 AI gives me good velocity with a heavy bullet and I don't have to throw out or retire a bunch of expensive brass and dies.
    Do you anneal your brass?

Quote Originally Posted by prdatr View Post
    Do you anneal your brass?

Not presently, however I'm discussing going in with a buddy to get the AMP machine. IF not, then I probably will get the annealeez machine. Until the past year I've not shot enough to wear out brass or barrels. I've also not spent more than $1 on a piece of brass until now either. What's your thoughts behind the question?

If I had an Axis (or any other mass produced factory rifle) that was a true 1/4 minute rifle, I wouldn't touch a darn thing except boxes and boxes of the load it liked.
    I'd go find another donor that wasn't quite so blessed to tinker with.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    Yep, that would be my take on it as well. Just leave it alone and hope the new barrel does as well as the present one.

Basic Member
    Personally I believe the abilities to easily change barrels is savage's greatest asset . The barrel nut is accepted as one of the most accurate ways of setting head space . You could put a ton of money and work in the action and not even notice accuracy results . Best bang for the buck laminate stock pillars and glass beded a good trigger best optics and mounts . Then practice until you can out shoot the gun . Also the rest's and equipment with technique . Once there reloading is the other end of the spectrum . All together you have years of work ahead by the time you get there you will be ready for another barrel . My 243 shoots in the 2'sand 3's took long time for right hand load combo . Its a accu trigger that cost me $188.00 brand new ps also metal trigger guard and metal mag catch to increase tork on action screws .

Sorry I've been away for a while--I just did a build using an axis receiver mostly because I couldn't find anything else available at the time. I used a Criterion barrel ordered through NSS and very highly recommend both. Mine is a 280 AI. Be careful, check brass/ammo/dies availability first or you could end up with nothing to fire.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]