Thread: Ranger pump part and info...

Ranger pump part and info...

I have an old Ranger, 22 S. L & LR, pump with smooth wooden pump grip, 24" octagonal barrel, serial # 3902K. There are no other markings on it.

The take down screw on the side is missing, and someone replaced it with a screw and washer. I've attached links to 2 pics (couldn't figure out how to embed them sorry!).

From what I've found, this is likely a Sears version of the Savage 25 made in early 1920s? Is this close or is there anywhere you can point me to in order to find out more?

Does anyone have a lead on where I can get the missing screw, which ones would fit my Ranger, and does it simply screw into the right side of the gun?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1a2q...w?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1a3d...w?usp=drivesdk

Thank you and I appreciate your patience with the newbie! Dan...

Basic Member
    EDIT, I have to revise the following post, there are some errors, I based my answer on what I remembered based on a couple examples and some was wrong. I just tried a late 1914 takedown screw in an early Model 25 and it worked, it did stick out the left side of the gun a little.

----------------------------------------- original post with corrections in red - ------------------------------

Dan, it is a version of the Savage Model 25 and was for Sears & Roebuck (and yes, Roebuck was still around at that time!). The serial number makes it an early gun so the the correct takedown screw will have a larger head than that used on later versions of the Model 25. The takedown screw for these looks the same as the ones used in late Model 1903's & 1914's but is threaded farther so those will not work. Correction - The Model 25 takedown screw is a little shorter and is threaded farther but I found some 1914 screws are threaded far enough to work but will have a couple threads sticking out the left side of the receiver. So at least some Model 194 screws will work and will look correct if shortened a little.

The screws goes in from the right and threads into the left side of the receiver. The hole in the left side should be threaded, earlier models had it counterbore part way - (this might also be wrong), that's why the takedown screw for those did not need to be threaded as far. The replacement screw on yours looks small enough that it should not have damaged the threads but it's something to check. Not all will do that.

Here's a link to a Model 25 takedown screw - https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/551270
    One for a 1914 to compare threaded length with - https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/987790
    There is not much difference but trying to screw a 1914 takedown screw into a 25 will damage some of the threads - not in all cases. Later takedown screws had a head about half the diameter.

Stick with standard velocity and lighter ammunition with these.
    Last edited by Sav22; 03-07-2021 at 08:30 PM. Reason: correction.

Thank you SO much for the information! The early 20's that this came from is the same time my mom was born (1922) so that's pretty cool to me.

You are correct that the screw that was there holding it together was much smaller, so no damage to the threads on the left side. The hole on right side is tapered by 1/16" if that matters. I'd think that was just to seat the screw well.

Unfortunately the link to the correct screw shows out of stock. By chance do you have any other potential sourcing options for me?

Also, after I cleaned the inside parts (they were surprisingly clean for who knows how long ago when it was last cleaned) I was going to put a light coating of gun oil on the inside moving parts. I saw a video of someone using what appears to be like a white grease however, so just wanted to ask if this era of gun would be better off greased than lightly oiled. It's only going to be used to plink a few time a year I'm sure, and not in bad weather, so cold isn't a factor.

Thank you again! Dan...

Basic Member
    Dan, I have to apologize for not doing more homework before posting, I had to correct some of the above information. An early Model 25 I have is counterbored for the takedown screw and the screw from a late Model 1914 will fit & tighten up, but that screw is threaded farther than some others but I still think is was original to the gun. It does stick out the left side of the receive slightly but measuring the receivers the Model 1914 at different spots is between 0.805' & 0.819" and the Model 25 0.789' to 0.785', so there is not much difference. Jack First Gun Parts lists takedown screws for the Model 1914 that the pictures show to be threaded about half way, if the picture is correct it should work in an early Model 25.