Thread: Quiestions about savage 335 double with left barrel made as an octogon.

Quiestions about savage 335 double with left barrel made as an octogon.

Hi
    I am new here and found this forum after I could not find out anything about a Savage 335 double barrel shotgun with the left barrel made octoganlly.
    I have collected Savage guns (mostly 99s) and pistols whenever i can find them. I have several gun books about 99s and pistols but I can not find any refernce or anyone who can shed any light on this shotgun. The left barel was made octoganlly from the breach to ther muzzle. My gunsmith is certain it was made that way at the factory and not some rebuilt. I believe it was made before 1929 and it has a unique serial number A1234. This suggests to me it was a custom made shotgun. I will attach pictures and look forward to any thoughts. Thanks for your interest.....
    apprently since I am new, I can not post pictures. The octogon shape is quite clear and pronounced at the muzzle. Both chambers are 12 gauge. It appears to have been made full length as 8 sides of metal increasing in appearnce at the muzzle. There is a very very slight twist the length of the barrel. Have to really look for it.
    I have posted pictures on the gunboards forum under commercial shotguns and I think you can see the pictures even if you are not signed on.

Basic Member
    Here are the pictures -

I think your right on the time frame, the I inspectors stamp shown in this next picture was used in the mid to late 20's

thanks for posting the pictures. Hope it helps anyone with any thoughts. As you can see, it is well used, but not at all abused. Totally intact and the wood remains solid without any cracks.

Basic Member
    That's something I never saw before, almost looks like a Blunderbus barrel!! I don't know much about old SG's, wish I could help!!

I know in europe they made 3 barreled guns with one a rifle for both birds in the lower 2 and one for mammels. And, I have heard of double barreled similar to this with one barrel loaded for birds and the other for whatever animal, deer, bear, whatever in the other barrel. But, I have never heard or seen such a gun made by an american company. I assume it must have been a special order for someone who hunted where there were birds, like geese and along rivers where there would be deer from time to time. That is all that makes sense to me becuse this gun was found in New Mexico where deer, etc are hunted normally at long range; far beyond any shotgun slug range, except maybe in the wooded areas espcially along the rivers. Never seen one or heard of anyone having one before i found this one.

Basic Member
    That is not factory as the right barrel is not properly aligned with the left.
    Also soldering job is not factory quality.
    Who and why are the questions.
    Perhaps a shade tree gunsmith repairing a blow up gun with a barrel from the parts box.
    Interesting wall hanger.