Thread: Hornady 68 grain

Basic Member

Hornady 68 grain

I remarked in a previous thread that the Sierra 69 and 77 grain Match Kings shot very well in the Axis but the 68 grain Hornady didn't. I tried them in another rifle just now and they were horrible. They were way over an inch, one group nearly 1 3/4". On the last group I noticed one hole was definitely longer than the others. Is this what some refer to as keyholing? I always look for operator error when my groups are not what I expect but this same gun yesterday had groups of just slightly over 1/2", slightly less than .4" and one group slightly more than 1/4" with the 69 grain Sierra Match King. I think it is pointless to continue. The remaining unfired rounds I will break down, saving at least the powder and the impossible to buy primers. I believe Charlie B said he didn't have any luck with them and he mentioned another guy as well that had poor results with them.

I'm of the opinion that different rifles just seem to like like different bullets and different loads without much rhyme or reason that I can figure out.
    I have an old 30-06 that'll shoot the lights out with Sierra Game Kings and Nosler Ballistic Tips and Accubonds in the 165-168gr, but wont shoot any of the several different Hornadys from HP Match, to Interbonds, to Amax, In those same or near same weights I've tried for beans. I changed charges ladder tested nothing worked except sticking with what worked.
    For the longest time years ago, I kinda figured Hornadys were just not that great a bullet from my experience with them and didn't buy any for the longest time.

Years later I bought a 22-250 that I just couldn't get to shoot the Sierras that were my first choice, so I tried Noslers and they wouldn't shoot either. Frustrated I bought some Hornadys because they were relatively cheap and I didn't see any sense in throwing good money after bad.
    Well sometimes it just takes a while to find what a rifle likes because the Hornady Vmax went in darn near the same hole shot after shot.

Have a couple of other rifles that have their pet loads but seem to do okay with most anything I've thrown at them so far but sometimes a rifle can just be plain old picky as to what it likes.
    Hope you get it figured out. BHJ
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    I have use the 52 grain Hornady that shot quite well and the 60 grain Hornady that shot good. Maybe not quite as good but pretty good. Up until the 68 grain Hornady it shot everything good.

Basic Member
    Once I get a chance to do some load development, the first thing I'll try is the Hor. 68 grain match. I'll definitely post the results. I'll also try the 69 & 77 SMK's & TMK's to see what my Axis prefers.

Y'all take care.