Thread: Will Savage custom build you a 110 rifle??

Will Savage custom build you a 110 rifle??

I have a dumb question and I hope this is the right place to ask it (If not please forgive me and move it to the appropriate section)!

I have spent the last few weeks studying every Savage 110 variant offered in the Savage online catalog; Some have the stock that I want but not the right caliber or type of barrel...

My question is: Does anyone know if Savage will take a custom order, where I can (for example), pick a barrel from one gun and ask it to be installed on another one that is compatible and so forth?

That would solve my problems.... I want a 110 Precision... but they offer it in 300 Win Mag when I would prefer it in 7 mm Rem Mag... or a 280 Ackley Improved.

Just thought I would ask; I am new to the "Savage World". I just got to this web site tonight. So much to learn.

Thanks

Basic Member
    Savage does have a " Custom Shop", but there are limits as to what they do. Price wise, it's usually not much more expensive to build it yourself either with a Savage action or a Custom action and have a much better & more accurate rifle than what Savage could put together.

I had the Savage Custom Shop build me a Heavy barreled LH 25-06 several years ago. They had discontinued the production version a couple years before I wanted one, but still had some left over barrels. It cost around $800, and then it came with the only type of stock that Savage had which I didn't like, so I replaced the stock.
    I could've built a better rifle cheaper on my own.

I have 3 Savage factory built rifles. A Model 12 FLVSS 223, a Model 10 FCP 308, and the Model 110 FLP 25-06. All of my other Savage action rifle's I assembled myself using aftermarket barrel's, trigger's, and stocks.

You're wanting a 280 AI rifle, so you will have to buy a custom barrel to begin with. I'd just build the whole rifle to begin with, and do it the way you want it without ever needing to change anything. I have always liked Savage rifles and actions, but after building 2 rifles off Custom actions, I'll never buy another Savage action.

American Rifle Company, Big Horn, and Shilen make actions that are the Remington 700 footprint, but have the same threads for Savage pre-fit barrels.
    The pluses are you can use any stock / chassis, and custom trigger's made for a Remington 700, and still have the ability to easily swap barrels anytime you want.
    The cons are that these actions cost about twice the price of a factory Savage action.

Building this rifle off a Savage 12 Varmint action, Shilen barrel, Choate stock, minus the scope / rings /and suppressor. This rifle cost me around $1300 to assemble

Building this rifle off a ARC Nucleus action, Trigger Tech Diamond trigger, KRG Bravo chassis, X-Caliber barrel, minus the scope / rings / and suppressor. This rifle cost me around $ 1800 to assemble. And it is twice the gun as the Savage build.

I'm not saying don't buy a Savage, but since you are already going to have to buy a custom barrel, spending another $500 -$1000 and getting exactly what you want right from the start is well worth it, and it will be a Custom rifle, not a Savage with a different barrel on it.

With demand being how it is right now, you would probably be better off building something yourself as TX outlined above. I participated in a Zoom call in late December for the launch of the Impulse to the media types, and the V.P. of sales noted that demand is so high right now that an order that came in today wouldn't be filled for at least 6 months. Having purchased a few rifles from Savage's custom shop over the years, I can also tell you that their fulfillment times on those special orders in "normal" times is typically 5-6 months, so in today's madness you could be looking at 8-10 months if not even longer.

Additionally, you will pay a premium for a special order rifle as someone has to go and hand pick the specific components you are wanting and then walk it through each stage of the assembly and testing process. Generally speaking you would probably be looking at around $100-150 above MSRP.

If you're dead-set on a Savage and aren't afraid to build it yourself you can probably save a little money or spend about the same to get a higher quality final product by purchasing a used Savage action and an aftermarket barrel and your choice of stock and trigger (or stick with the AccuTrigger and save a little more). For roughly $500-600 more you can go the custom action route as TX explained above and get an even more superior final product, and if you shop around and keep your eyes open on the classifieds of certain gun sites you can often find decent deals on custom actions and triggers and you'll have a wider selection to choose from for each.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post

Building this rifle off a ARC Nucleus action, Trigger Tech Diamond trigger, KRG Bravo chassis, X-Caliber barrel, minus the scope / rings / and suppressor. This rifle cost me around $ 1800 to assemble. And it is twice the gun as the Savage build.

BTW, I finally got around to ordering a KRG Bravo for my Nucleus yesterday to replace the Greyboe Renegade. Added bonus was getting to spend 15-20 minutes on the phone catching up with Lisa at Tactical Works. Was considering getting a 10/22 Bravo stock as well, but Lisa confirmed my assumption that the grip on those is RH specific rather than ambidextrous (dumb move KRG!) so no joy on that one.
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Two yeas ago after shooting at Bisley with a 6.5X55 Swedish M41 I asked Savage about a 110 in 6.5X55 with an M40 style stock. I got a flat no way ever and don't ask again.

Almost started to build one my self on a 110 60-06. Might just finish it some day but in the mean time I found the perfect M41. Directions change in funny ways.

The M41 has become to valuable to use so I'm back to thinking about the Savage again. I can shoot all day every day and not worry.

Thanks J Baker; Thanks Txhillbilly!!

Tex, you said the magic words; "American Rifle Company, Big Horn, and Shilen make actions that are the Remington 700 footprint, but have the same threads for Savage pre-fit barrels."

My frustration stems from the fact that I am having a very hard time locating long action aftermarket stocks for Savage 110s... but by going to a Remington 700 foot print actions, you solve the problem!

I will visit those sites and see if I can find the long action receivers that I want. The rifles you posted are exactly what I am looking for. I would be happy with either one in 280 Ackley!!!!

"Money" is not really the problem; I am not made of it but I will spend 2000 bucks for a good gun. My real problem is not knowing what I need exactly or where to go find it...

Thanks for your help... yet again.

Gene

Quote Originally Posted by MJ11 View Post
    Two yeas ago after shooting at Bisley with a 6.5X55 Swedish M41 I asked Savage about a 110 in 6.5X55 with an M40 style stock. I got a flat no way ever and don't ask again.

Almost started to build one my self on a 110 60-06. Might just finish it some day but in the mean time I found the perfect M41. Directions change in funny ways.

The M41 has become to valuable to use so I'm back to thinking about the Savage again. I can shoot all day every day and not worry.

Are you talking about the Bisley in Great Britain? I am originally from Europe but I got to Texas as soon as I could 41 years ago!!! I love the 6.5 x 55. I hope to own a fine swedish mauser some day. Nice to meet you MJ11.

Basic Member
    Surprised it wasn't on the list, but Northland Shooters Supply (NSS) is another good source, both actions, barrels, and misc., and they keep a lot of it in stock. Just recently overhauled my Savage 12 FV with a new Criterion bull barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor, price was good, and I had the new barrel a week after I ordered, instead of months later. Good luck!

Dave

Dave, is the 12 FV action compatible with the 110 actions? Still new to this.... Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by geneackley View Post
    Dave, is the 12 FV action compatible with the 110 actions? Still new to this.... Thanks
    Northland Shooters Supply (NSS) would basically be a one-stop shop for your needs, and James is great to deal with and very knowledgeable to help answer any and all of your questions. Call him up and have a talk about what you're wanting to build. He's a stocking dealer for several brands of actions, barrels, stocks, triggers, etc.

http://www.northlandshooterssupply.com

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    Northland Shooters Supply (NSS) would basically be a one-stop shop for your needs, and James is great to deal with and very knowledgeable to help answer any and all of your questions. Call him up and have a talk about what you're wanting to build. He's a stocking dealer for several brands of actions, barrels, stocks, triggers, etc.

Sounds like the answer to all my "Savage Related Prayers"!!!! ha ha ! Thank you!!!

By the way, I loved Al Bundy; When I grow up I want to be just like him!!!! ha ha ha !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post

And he is a site sponsor to boot. I got a criterion 280 AI barrel, wrench, nut and lug from him. Great service. If he doesn't answer, leave a message. He will call you back ASAP.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geneackley View Post
    Thanks J Baker; Thanks Txhillbilly!!

Tex, you said the magic words; "American Rifle Company, Big Horn, and Shilen make actions that are the Remington 700 footprint, but have the same threads for Savage pre-fit barrels."

My frustration stems from the fact that I am having a very hard time locating long action aftermarket stocks for Savage 110s... but by going to a Remington 700 foot print actions, you solve the problem!

I will visit those sites and see if I can find the long action receivers that I want. The rifles you posted are exactly what I am looking for. I would be happy with either one in 280 Ackley!!!!

"Money" is not really the problem; I am not made of it but I will spend 2000 bucks for a good gun. My real problem is not knowing what I need exactly or where to go find it...

Thanks for your help... yet again.

Gene
    Gene, You are only a short drive from me. I'd be happy to loan you my Action wrench & Barrel Nut wrench as well assist you in putting a rifle together. I've assembled many of these rifle's. It's like that insurance commercial - It's so easy, a caveman can do it!

I wrote him a long letter detailing exactly everything I wanted; Hopefully he will call back and we can get the ball rolling. I am very glad to have found this solution cause I sure as hell wasnt getting anywhere with the Savage online catalog...

Thank you everyone!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
    Gene, You are only a short drive from me. I'd be happy to loan you my Action wrench & Barrel Nut wrench as well assist you in putting a rifle together. I've assembled many of these rifle's. It's like that insurance commercial - It's so easy, a caveman can do it!
    Thanks. I would love that plus benefit from your knowledge and make a new friend!!! How do I private message you so I can get your number?
    I have a 350 meter shooting range on my property. Maybe I can return the favor having you out to shoot sometime. Again Thank you VERY MUCH!

Basic Member
    Shot PM to you but yes Bisley in the UK, spent three weeks there and shot the Trafalgar match and the McQueen's sniper course. Great fun.

Quote Originally Posted by MJ11 View Post
    Shot PM to you but yes Bisley in the UK, spent three weeks there and shot the Trafalgar match and the McQueen's sniper course. Great fun.

Saw your PM and replied. Indeed I have a couple of European friends that I grew up with who have competed there. Like you, they werent crazy about English food or driving on the wrong side of the street!!!! ha ha ha ! Take care my friend!

Quote Originally Posted by Orezona View Post
    And he is a site sponsor to boot. I got a criterion 280 AI barrel, wrench, nut and lug from him. Great service. If he doesn't answer, leave a message. He will call you back ASAP.
    I just ordered a 280 AI barrel yesterday from XCaliber cause I really wanted 5R rifling and they would do that... But I have never owned one or even handled the 280 AI. I would be interested in getting your thoughts and impressions on the caliber as someone who actually owns one.

What bullet weight do you shoot? What twist rate is your barrel? Have you had any issues making brass or did you buy factory ammo? Any wisdom you want to share here would be appreciated. Thank you my friend.

Gene