Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4 kinds of current production 110 receivers???

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    You're not quite 100% correct there TX.

From the get go (1958) through 1988 or 89 the Savage 110 was manufactured in both long and short action versions ( Gen 1 short action with 4.522" screw spacing). From 1989 thru the end of 1997 production everything was built on long actions. In 1998 the Gen 2 short-action (4.275" screw spacing) was introduced and remained in production through late 2007 - early 2008.

In 2005 the current Gen 3 center feed short-action (4.40" screw spacing) was introduced and slowly phased in over the course of the next three years with rifles being chamberedd in .204 Ruger and .223 Rem. being the last to be updated in late 2007/early 2008.

So the only years that all 110's were long actions were 1989-1997.

The large shank came into existence in 2000 or 2001 when Savage started offering the WSM and RSAUM cartridges as factory chamberings, and until the launch of the Target series models in 2008 the only rifles that came with a large shank barrel were chambered in those cartridges (and the 10ML muzzleloaders).
    Add to that the RUM's were changed to large shank actions as well. However, some of the first RUM's and WSM's were made on the small shanks. Currently the 375 Ruger models are large shank long actions, as well as the 338 Lapuas. But the Lapuas have other differences as well.

there is the
    110 long action in small shank
    110 long action in large shank

and then the less common 110 long action closed top like i have on my 110 FCP HS Precision in 300 PRC. I can tell you there is a noticeable difference in this receiver over the open top large shank receiver. The closed top one like i got here is night and day smoother than the standard one. Much tighter tolerances. Super smooth bolt. Best out of the box savage action i've ever handled. I could be wrong but i think its the target action just milled out for a magazine. Anyway, here is a photo of mine if you never seen/noticed one.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nathantc View Post
    there is the
    110 long action in small shank
    110 long action in large shank

and then the less common 110 long action closed top like i have on my 110 FCP HS Precision in 300 PRC. I can tell you there is a noticeable difference in this receiver over the open top large shank receiver. The closed top one like i got here is night and day smoother than the standard one. Much tighter tolerances. Super smooth bolt. Best out of the box savage action i've ever handled. I could be wrong but i think its the target action just milled out for a magazine. Anyway, here is a photo of mine if you never seen/noticed one.
    It appears they're using the same action for the 300PRC as they are for the 338 Lapuas, just a different size bolt face of course. I have two 338's and they are the closed tops like that one.

Quote Originally Posted by efm77 View Post
    It appears they're using the same action for the 300PRC as they are for the 338 Lapuas, just a different size bolt face of course. I have two 338's and they are the closed tops like that one.
    i'm pretty sure you are correct as when i bought the rifle they guy had the clone of this in 338lp and i got the handle them both side by side. They felt 100% the same, action was the same length and feel. Im just starting out on this build so i have yet to find out if the scope rail is just a standard 110 long action rail, or if the action footprint is the same as a 110 long action. The rifle is HUGE at almost 5' long.
    300 PRC cartridge length 93.98
    338 Lapua cartridge length 94.50
    so the rounds are very similar in length.

Basic Member
    The action footprint and length is the same as the standard Savage long action. The scope base is the same as well except for larger screws. The standard screws for the Savage are 6-48, where these are 8-40. The rail that comes from the factory appears to be an EGW.

correct, larger screws and EGW. That rail will never see an optic on my rifle. I was looking for a direct fit ring/mount system but cannot find one made to the standards i want. So it's going to be replaced with a Badger Ordnance steel rail and a Spuhr mount AFTER I decide on an optic.
    Good to know the screw spacing is the same though, as well as the footprint.

https://www.badgerordnance.com/scope...10ba-only.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12