Thread: BC Duramaxx & Boyd Ross Thumbhole stocks?

BC Duramaxx & Boyd Ross Thumbhole stocks?

I've got a Savage factory-removed 26" .223 tube coming for my 12FV, and am seriously considering rebarreling an older 110 .270 sporter I have with a varmint contour .260 Rem or .308 Win. The 12FV's factory stock is pretty chinzy, and the older 110 has a fairly beat up factory wood stock on it that looks bad at the least, if its not warped and affecting accuracy.

I've done lots of research online the last few days and am thinking about a Bell & Carlson Duramaxx stock for the 12FV; I like how it sort of has the M40A1 look and most of the reviews I've seen say it is a good improvement over the factory Savage stock, especially at the price point (sub-$130).

For the 110, I'm thinking about maybe a Ross Thumbhole laminated stock. I like the look of rifles wearing it that I've seen, and the price (sub-$100) certainly is right.

Guess I want to ask from those who have used one or both of these - they may not be HS Precision or McMillian quality, but are they good furniture for the money?

pphreed

Re: BC Duramaxx & Boyd Ross Thumbhole stocks?

I have a couple boyds thumbholes and I like them . Pretty much drop in fit I had to dremel out the bottom of the mag well a tiny bit on one . I put one on a 308 heavy /tactical barrell and it will shoot sub 1/2 and has shot sub1/4 groups so at the price not much to not like and the wieght is not to bad Fred

chemist1

I also like the thumbhole stock but wish the grip was a little more vertical. The fit was good after I opened up the channel to fit the varmint barrel on my 12 fv. I also bedded it and the gun shoots very well in that stock.

Looks like Boyds has the finished Savage 110 Nutmeg FT stock on weekly special for $79 + shipping so I went ahead and pulled the trigger (pun not intended).

I'm looking forward to putting it on my 110 in .270 Win to see if it improves its accuracy any; last year I couldn't get the rifle to shoot Remington 130gr factory ammo or 130gr Nosler BT handloads any better than 2" @ 100yd and looking closer at it today I see the stock is warped and unevenly touching the barrel forward of the nut on both sides.