Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waiting on my new to me 110L in 243 Win with Pics

Waiting on my new to me 110L in 243 Win with Pics

Alright here goes. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I bought this as part of a 2 gun deal, from a guy who inherited from his dad. I was really there for the other gun, but after I handled the Savage I knew I wanted them both. Looks clean but who knows till I can shoot it...

I'm in So California, and waiting on this 110L (yeah lefty, this will be the first left handed gun I have ever owned) to wind it's way through California logistics. I will pick it up in 7 days or so. Also my first .243 Win. Looking around, I think the twist is 1:9.25, but can't find the history/chart/catalog where I saw that.

I have 1 box of 100 gr Sellier Belloit 100gr ammo (at $40 but so it goes...), and so far have acquired a box of Sierra 100gr (ProHunter #1540) bullets. I want to shoot this gun and have some appropriate fun, so...

1. Are the 100 grainers I have going to shoot ok in this? I have some Varget... If not, what weight range should I start the hunt for? The lighter bullets seem to need a faster twist? Is there a sweet spot range? Lighter bullets state need for faster twist? What about bullet weight range recommended for this gun/twist rate?

3. To those who know, does this look like a factory trigger? Hard to find images of the early 110s.

4. Looks like an early 110L from what I see here on Savage Shooters. Thinking 1960-62ish? I only have a few more pics, and can't really go grab it for more photos till I pick it up.

Thanks hoping to learn alot on this gun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20210212_134316.jpg   20210212_132911.jpg   20210212_134339.jpg   20210212_132926.jpg  

Nice looking OLD Savage. I believe your correct on the 9.5" twist. My Savage 243 didn't shoot 100 grain pills very well but it loves the 95 grain Ballistic Tip and 87 grain BTHPs from Hornady. Not sure about that trigger.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Team Savage

On pre-66 models like yours, the year of manufacture can be determined by the oval barrel stamp. Your barrel stamp is 11K, the two digits are the inspector's ID and alpha character denotes year, K is 1959.

From what little I can see of the trigger, it looks original.

Very interesting scope mount, I couldn't quite make out the manufacturer.

Congrats on scoring a nicely kept survivor.

I stared at that scope mount for while. I don't remember seeing one like it before. Great looking rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    Nice looking OLD Savage. I believe your correct on the 9.5" twist. My Savage 243 didn't shoot 100 grain pills very well but it loves the 95 grain Ballistic Tip and 87 grain BTHPs from Hornady. Not sure about that trigger.
    Thanks. OK I will start the hunt for something a little lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    On pre-66 models like yours, the year of manufacture can be determined by the oval barrel stamp. Your barrel stamp is 11K, the two digits are the inspector's ID and alpha character denotes year, K is 1959.

From what little I can see of the trigger, it looks original.

Very interesting scope mount, I couldn't quite make out the manufacturer.

Congrats on scoring a nicely kept survivor.
    Thanks for all the info. Thought I saw somewhere they didn't start the 243 till 60 but obviously not. I'm also interested to see what the action length is.

Scope is a Bausch and Lomb, pretty sure it's called Balvar. The adjustments are in the mount, not internally from what I can see so far. I did see that mount somewhere when I was looking up the scope. If I have another pic or 2 I will post them later.

Quote Originally Posted by Orezona View Post
    I stared at that scope mount for while. I don't remember seeing one like it before. Great looking rifle.
    Thanks Orezona, when this thing gets out of jail I will get some more pics and post them.

Here are a few more I had in my phone my phone, and a couple of a similar scope mount listed on Ebay now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20210212_134401.jpg   20210212_132914.jpg   20210212_134329.jpg   s-l64.jpg   s-l64 (1).jpg  

Team Savage
    Man, that's like a left-handed clone of my 1960 30-06. Same stock. Those older walnut stocks are so damn sweet. And yes, that is a vintage B&L Bavlar scope with adjustments on the mount. Very vintage.

As for the trigger, that blade looks too wide to be factory original, but Savage was experimenting then too, so you never know. My factory trigger was more curved, and not as wide.

Team Savage

If you go to Savage FAQs at the top of the forum there are some very good articles in History and in Catalogs you'll find scans of original catalogs covering the 110 back to 1961. In Cartridges of the Savage Model 110: 1958 - 1999 you'll find the .243 Winchester was introduced in 1959.

That's a cool old Balvar! Mine wears a Balvar as well, but about 16/17yrs newer than the rifle.

I'll pull mine out later today and post pics of the trigger. Will provide measurements as well. Know for sure it is grooved like yours.

Team Savage
    BTW, I have almost two complete trigger assemblies for those old pre-66 rifles. If you ever decide you want to go back to the original trigger setup, let me know.

I'm replacing mine with a Timney and newer safety because my goal is to make it my primary deer rifle once I get the new 7x57 barrel on it.

Team Savage

Savage 110 #71 as originally left the factory.

Trigger shoe curve...

measures 1/4" wide...

Quote Originally Posted by Newtosavage View Post
    BTW, I have almost two complete trigger assemblies for those old pre-66 rifles. If you ever decide you want to go back to the original trigger setup, let me know.

I'm replacing mine with a Timney and newer safety because my goal is to make it my primary deer rifle once I get the new 7x57 barrel on it.
    Thanks I may take you up on that. Wish I had a few more pics, but I will pick it up next week. Would like to see your 06...

Hard to tell from the angles about the trigger. Hopefully it is good whatever it is.

Wish there were more photo threads on here

Savage 110 #71 as originally left the factory.

Trigger shoe curve...

measures 1/4" wide...

Thanks for the photos, that looks narrower to me but hard to tell with the angles. What cal is that one? Do you shoot it much?

Team Savage

Mine is 30-06 and do shoot it but not often. As you can imagine, at just 7lbs (including scope) and wearing a metal butt plate, it's not very pleasant from the bench. That said, the connection to my dad and the fact the rifle is one of the first 100 produced, it always makes me smile.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by STR513 View Post

Scope is a Bausch and Lomb, pretty sure it's called Balvar. The adjustments are in the mount, not internally from what I can see so far. I did see that mount somewhere when I was looking up the scope. If I have another pic or 2 I will post them later.
    Looks like a Balvar8. They're pretty nice scopes. Best of their time. The adjustable ones especially sometimes have some small flecks inside that can be annoyance but does not inhibit their use. The American Rifleman tested one by dismounting it from the adjustable mounts, smacking against the leg of a chair, and then remounting it. It was reported to hold zero and function was not inhibited.

Mine is 30-06 and do shoot it but not often. As you can imagine, at just 7lbs (including scope) and wearing a metal butt plate, it's not very pleasant from the bench. That said, the connection to my dad and the fact the rifle is one of the first 100 produced, it always makes me smile.
    I get that. Was talking with a friend the other day about recoil on the bench. Awesome that it's the original cal and in the first 100.

Quote Originally Posted by Balvar24 View Post
    Looks like a Balvar8. They're pretty nice scopes. Best of their time. The adjustable ones especially sometimes have some small flecks inside that can be annoyance but does not inhibit their use. The American Rifleman tested one by dismounting it from the adjustable mounts, smacking against the leg of a chair, and then remounting it. It was reported to hold zero and function was not inhibited.
    It seemed pretty clean when I looked through it, hope it's as clear as I think it was.

Based on your handle, you are really into these scopes, or ?

Team Savage
    They're pretty neat. I especially like the big 6-24 model.

Team Savage

Though not currently on the rifle (removed to deep clean the action) I put a Balvar 8B 2.5 - 8 x 36 on it around '73 - '75. Still an awesome scope today.

Team Savage
    My 1960 110 is now wearing a M8 Leupold 6x36 from 1976. It really is amazing how good those scopes are for their age. The 70's were when they had started to figure out lens coatings, and the top optics from those years are still very good compared to what's made today.

Team Savage
    I threw a Balvar24 on my 112V in 243. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.

OK well I picked it up and need to post up some photos. When we tried the "safety check" at the shop ( part of California rules...) we could not chamber a cheap AZOOM snap cap. Bolt was just shy of closing. Will clean it up and clean the chamber and check back.

I do have a set of .243 Win dies and some brass, I will resize some of the brass I have acquired and check back in. I do not have any other chamber gauges, just the drop in Lyman gauge for loaded rounds.

Sounds like some nice glass on those guns. Hope my Balvar is clean and bright.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by STR513 View Post
    OK well I picked it up and need to post up some photos. When we tried the "safety check" at the shop ( part of California rules...) we could not chamber a cheap AZOOM snap cap. Bolt was just shy of closing. Will clean it up and clean the chamber and check back.

I do have a set of .243 Win dies and some brass, I will resize some of the brass I have acquired and check back in. I do not have any other chamber gauges, just the drop in Lyman gauge for loaded rounds.

Sounds like some nice glass on those guns. Hope my Balvar is clean and bright.
    So I had the same issue with my pre-66 in 30-06. Factory brass and some factory loads were very hard to chamber. Some were impossible to chamber. I had to return a box of Federal Premium ammo because I could not get the bolt closed. The head space was very, very tight. After the first shot on factory reloading brass (star-line) and a full-length resizing, all my rounds chambered just fine. I never had a go gauge to check it, but it sounds like yours might have the same issue. If that's the case, don't give up on it until you've tried once-fired (from that gun) full-length resized brass in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Newtosavage View Post
    So I had the same issue with my pre-66 in 30-06. Factory brass and some factory loads were very hard to chamber. Some were impossible to chamber. I had to return a box of Federal Premium ammo because I could not get the bolt closed. The head space was very, very tight. After the first shot on factory reloading brass (star-line) and a full-length resizing, all my rounds chambered just fine. I never had a go gauge to check it, but it sounds like yours might have the same issue. If that's the case, don't give up on it until you've tried once-fired (from that gun) full-length resized brass in it.
    OK I am glad to hear that. I was hoping someone would have information like that.

I ran a few patches with Hoppe's through but did not go crazy on it. I full length sized a few once fired (from friends, not sure what gun) and the bolt closed but it was tight. There was a pretty uniform marking at the base of the neck (seems like the crease just turned into a sharper line) , and it seemed like the chamber was just pretty snug. Also a slight mark on the base where the bolt turned on the case when closing. I will clean again and chamber a few more previously fired empties. I also have 50 new Winchester pieces I will full length resize and try.
    Last edited by STR513; 02-28-2021 at 01:35 PM. Reason: typo

Team Savage

Have you tried to chamber any of that new Win brass? That brass "should be" at its smallest dimensions and sure won't hurt to try a piece or two.

Had not really thought of that, I will try later this morning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast