Thread: New rifle, Range report

Basic Member

New rifle, Range report

So I had to work at the range today and it was pretty quiet day so I was allowed to setup and shoot some today on the 200yd range. I took both the Axis and the new Model 10 along to work with the hopes that I could get my friend to torgue down the scope screws. Which he did.

While he was doing that I was able to put some shots down range with the Axis and to further evaluate those loads I have been working on. For some reason it was a struggle today. Don't know it it was the gun or me though I seemed to be fighting the tightness of my heavy jacket. Got about 10 rounds down and had to stop for customers.

After lunch I put the Axis away and set up the model 10. There just happened to be another good friend there shooting and he had a nice spotting scope that would show a 22cal hole at 200yds.

So the scope was moved forward slightly as it was too close to the bell and then the torque threw off the boresighting. First three were not on paper, the next three were high and left. After that we were pretty close and had to give up for the day as it was 4pm and closing time.

This target again was shot at 200yds with my reloads that were developed for the Axis with a 62gr FMJBT Hornady over 23.8gr of Ramshot TAC @ 2.250" OAL

I could tell a world of difference between the Axis and this Model 10. The weight, balance, trigger are so much nicer, I am ecstatic with this new gun. Especially for a purchase price of only $329.00
    Now I wounder what it is capable off with a nice scope and tailored ammunition!

Wish it were easier to embed pictures as I would have included one of the target.

Quote Originally Posted by KMW1954 View Post
    So I had to work at the range today and it was pretty quiet day so I was allowed to setup and shoot some today on the 200yd range. I took both the Axis and the new Model 10 along to work with the hopes that I could get my friend to torgue down the scope screws. Which he did.

While he was doing that I was able to put some shots down range with the Axis and to further evaluate those loads I have been working on. For some reason it was a struggle today. Don't know it it was the gun or me though I seemed to be fighting the tightness of my heavy jacket. Got about 10 rounds down and had to stop for customers.

After lunch I put the Axis away and set up the model 10. There just happened to be another good friend there shooting and he had a nice spotting scope that would show a 22cal hole at 200yds.

So the scope was moved forward slightly as it was too close to the bell and then the torque threw off the boresighting. First three were not on paper, the next three were high and left. After that we were pretty close and had to give up for the day as it was 4pm and closing time.

This target again was shot at 200yds with my reloads that were developed for the Axis with a 62gr FMJBT Hornady over 23.8gr of Ramshot TAC @ 2.250" OAL

I could tell a world of difference between the Axis and this Model 10. The weight, balance, trigger are so much nicer, I am ecstatic with this new gun. Especially for a purchase price of only $329.00
    Now I wounder what it is capable off with a nice scope and tailored ammunition!

Wish it were easier to embed pictures as I would have included one of the target.
    So what’s the report? How did it print?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Got started late. Bore sight was moved from tightening the ring screws. so the first three shots were off the target. second three shots were high left. about 2" high and 7" left. @200yds. The target is a sight-in 20"X16 with a 6" round red target and a 2" white bull.

After that Put 7 into the 6" red and 4 into the 2" white. Then I ran out of time and had to pack it in.

Basic Member
    Try lapping in the rings it will stop the movement after torqing the rings repeatedly.

What base and rigs are you using ?

A photo will help to find the problem.

I use a one piece ARMS base. Just my .02 cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by MJ11 View Post
    Try lapping in the rings it will stop the movement after torqing the rings repeatedly.

A photo will help to find the problem.

I use a one piece ARMS base. Just my .02 cheers.

I have been thinking about quick detach rings. Your set up looks awesome.
    How close are you back to zero after taking it on and off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Right back on zero. All the ARMS product is mil-spec and STANAG I use it on all my NATO supported rifles before letting them go.

1", 30mm and 34mm scopes too. Not cheap but what isn't $130 these days. If you have a wholesale tax number you can get a small break.

I think the base for 110 is $100 now I will need one and rings for the $300 110 I just received especially of I change from 30-06 to 6.5X55.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MJ11 View Post

The bases and rings are Weaver. Movement came from moving the scope back because I originally had it to close to the ocular bell which threw off my bore sighting.