Thread: Hi all, Gary Hegg from Pie Town, NM

Hi all, Gary Hegg from Pie Town, NM

Glad to be here and as I did a week or ago, I’m having problems with a new .17 semi auto. In the past it has refused to feed using the 10 shot mag. First I took the mag apart, lessened the spring force, tried it again, same problem. I just recently took the gun apart, as stated in the manual, cleaned everything and lubed it. Reassembled it, and it would not pick up the first shell when I released the bolt. I removed the mag, locked the bolt open, and loaded the first shell in the chamber by hand. Put the mag back into it, fired all the shells, no problem. Did this twice. Now it would be nice to not have to do that, so my friends, any ideas? Thanks for your help.

Team Savage
    welcome

Team Savage
    Welcome aboard

Welcome to the Group. Have you tried it with just 9 rounds in the mag to see if the first will feed?
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    Welcome from Belen! Sort of. I'm actually in Denver but I'm from Belen and miss those great pies!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Welcome!

I've found that more often than not a magazine/feeding issue on the A series rifles is usually caused by the mag being held a little too low in the stock. First thing I'd check is the amount of up and down "play" the magazine has when locked into the stock. A little bit (1/16") is normal as there has to be some, but if 1/8" or more it can allow the mag to rest too low to allow the bolt to strip off the top round. If you think there's too much play, you can test that theory by pushing upward on the mag while allowing the bolt to close to see if that cures the "not picking up a round" issue for ya.

With the magazine catch/hanger being molded into the stock it's not really an easy fix as you would need to add material to the top of that catch/hanger, or add material to the bottom side of the corresponding catch on the magazine itself. Additionally, it could be a tolerance issue with either the stock or the magazine. The first A17 I received for review suffered from the same issue and I had to try 4 or 5 different magazine before I found one that fed reliably.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain