Thread: Cracked/split Boyd's stock. How do I fix?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

Cracked/split Boyd's stock. How do I fix?

I have run into a whole line of frustrations with this stock, so I just want some outside perspective. I've had a Boyd's classic stock on my .338-06 for two years with maybe 250 rounds through it. I had the action out of the stock the other day and when I went to put it back together I had the action screws protruding into the action and binding up my bolt. Thought it was weird so i kept trying to figure out what was going on with it, as it has never done this before. That's when I discovered the crack in the stock in the high part between the recoil lug and the magazine well, and about 1/2" deep. It is out of Boyd's warranty frame as well as it was one of their Rapid Fire discounted stocks due to a ding in the comb when I bought it. The best they can do for me is a 10% coupon code on a new stock.

This stock already has crossbolts installed when I bought it. I had bedded it before i shot it at all with ProBed 2000. What are my options here? I have been doing some research into this and am not coming up with any good suggestions besides injecting Acraglass into the crack and clamping it closed. My initial thought on this was to carve out the crack a bit or drill a series of holes along it, to inject epoxy into and then pillar bed over the top of it once it was cured. Any thoughts? I would appreciate any help you guys can provide. I'll try to get some pictures posted later.

Basic Member

Here are some pictures. If there’s a more specific picture that would be helpful, let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    This is the main reason I quit buying Boyd's stocks. There is just not a lot of meat left once everything is milled out. Mine always seem to break around the rear action bolt though. You can mill/dremel a slot across the stock and epoxy a metal bar in there to hold it together. Some people have drilled holes all the way through and sunk bolts in...then cover the holes. I don't think trying to glue that crack will solve your problems.

Basic Member
    So, no pillars? That's the root of the problem. Screws used directly on laminates will force the laminations apart. Think of it as screwing into the end grain of plywood. That is why they have cross bolts at the key structural points.

If you want to fix this I would add pillars and epoxy the crack at the same time. Use thinned epoxy injected in the crack, insert the pillars and clamp it up to let everything cure. If you wanted to be more detailed on this then find some way to drill a stop hole at the end of the crack before the glue up. A bit difficult with where it is.

Get a piece of brass all-thread (Brownell's) and drill & thread it - avoiding the stock bolt hole - in with the stock (lightly and padded but tightly) clamped. Cut & file the ends flush with the stock. (You'll just have a 5/32" brass "dot" on either side like a cross-bolt). Then hit the front and back of the crack with thin CA glue.

I epoxied knurled aluminum pillars in mine for good purchase of the bedding compound. Holding up so far.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Team Savage
    Pillars and new bedding would most likely fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    So, no pillars? That's the root of the problem. Screws used directly on laminates will force the laminations apart. Think of it as screwing into the end grain of plywood. That is why they have cross bolts at the key structural points.

If you want to fix this I would add pillars and epoxy the crack at the same time. Use thinned epoxy injected in the crack, insert the pillars and clamp it up to let everything cure. If you wanted to be more detailed on this then find some way to drill a stop hole at the end of the crack before the glue up. A bit difficult with where it is.

Yup! wood and plastic compress. The material has to go somewhere. Pillars do not compress.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Thank you for the suggestions! Keep them coming if there are any more ideas. You all have gave me some ideas that I’m going to try. At this point it can’t hurt anything!

Basic Member
    Thanks to all who have taken the time to offer suggestions and recommendations! I’m still looking into it all and hoping to get started fixing this in the next few weeks!

I really appreciate the help!