Thread: Is there a gunsmith than will inlet a blank for a 110 LA?

Is there a gunsmith than will inlet a blank for a 110 LA?

Ok, so here's my dilemma, I have a beautiful 26" Savage varmint contour Carbon Six barrel chambered in .284 Winchester. The throat is longer than other standard short-action cartridges, so I will need a long action. I am using a 116 top bolt release action and want to go blind magazine if possible.

Savage 110
    TBR
    Heavy barrel channel
    Blind magazine

There are exactly 2 stocks on planet Earth that will drop in. 1) Archangel at 4.8 pounds
    2) Choate tactical at about 6 pounds
    both have huge barrel channels that are too large for the Varmint contour barrel from C6.

The purpose of having a carbon wrapped barrel is to save weight. My first inclination was to mate the barrel to a Big Horn Origin action so I could use Remington type stocks. Then I found that just because the thread pattern is the same, there are actually some differences between a Savage action and a Zermat action where the chamber headspaces. Maybe similar to the difference between a Savage pre-fit and a Marlin XL7 pre-fit?? Is this correct??

So then if I have to stay with the 116 action, who can I get to inlet something like an MPI blank, because that's the only way I'll get the combination I have laid out above.

Yes, I've heard McMillan will build you one, but I don't want to wait nearly a year to get that unsightly flat-, wide-bottomed thing they offer for the Savage (at least the only one that comes up when I search).

There are some chassis available, and one that is lightweight...until you add the buffer tube, stock, and magazine required to make it function. Other chassis are double, triple, and quadruple that already steep price.

I thought I could find a laminate I could sand down to accommodate the barrel, but even Boyd's and Hogue only have DBM styles available. That's a whole 'nother ball of wax. Adding more parts and weight isn't my desire.

I would even be willing to use the single shot Target action and single feed a short action, but to my knowledge, no one makes a stock to fit the Target action. HS Precision did, but when I search it, the site takes me to an archive page like the model is out of production. He's aren't really light, either. Again, McMillan??

So what stocks are guys putting all these Target actions available out there on?

There has to be an old-fashioned gunsmith who actually inlets stock blanks to fit specific barreled action, right?

As popular as Savage rifles are, this shouldn't be this difficult. I found some threads from years ago discussing this sort of thing, but is there nothing new out there??

Any help (if there is any that can be had) will be greatly apprecited.

I suppose I could get a Boyd's and find the DBM bottom metal and install a detachable magazine, then hope there's enough room to sand the barrel channel out to fit before I get into the front sling swivel stud anchor nut in the barrel channel.I'm RIGHT AT it when I inlet for the Criterion heavy sporters.

What to you do for a .300 Mag build, or even .30-06??

Thanks for your responses!

Basic Member
    Is the barrel Shouldered or does it use a Barrel Nut?

You can get a Boyds stock for a Blind magazine, just use a 110 or 112 action description for the action in the stock builder section.

Bell & Carlson also makes a heavy barreled stock. It states that it's for a Staggered feed action, but you would just need to shim a Center feed blind mag into the stock. A Center feed mag box is shorter in length than the old Staggered feed box that is attached to the action.
    I mounted an old Staggered feed action in a Boyds Center feed stock. I just had to lengthen the inlet in the stock about 1/4" for it to fit in it.

Sharp Shooter Supply and Stockade Guns both offer custom stocks for Savage action's. I don't know what the wait time would be, I've heard it is quite long.

You never said the purpose of the rifle. BR, FTR etc...?

The savage short action magazine is quite long. You can probably get a 2.940 length cartridge in a SA magazine.

If you are using a target action it is single load so no issue there with loading.

SSS has the stock you want, probably a good wait time to be expected.

Joel Russo of Russo Stocks.
    A savage Target Action in a Russo
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    You never said the purpose of the rifle. BR, FTR etc...?

The savage short action magazine is quite long. You can probably get a 2.940 length cartridge in a SA magazine.

If you are using a target action it is single load so no issue there with loading.

SSS has the stock you want, probably a good wait time to be expected.

Joel Russo of Russo Stocks.
    A savage Target Action in a Russo
    Wow, I went tot he Russo Stocks website. The stocks are absolutely gorgeous.

Basic Member
    I guess Joel must be being kept very busy now days, what with building all those stocks plus all those Terminus actions.
    For a number of years Joels stocks originated in a shop operated by a very nice lady by name of Gerry.
    Gerry has a duplicating machine in her shop and lots of stock patterns hanging on the walls.
    She is very good creating the stocks from a blank with the duplicator, and the final finish product is a real work of art.
    She leaves the inletting to her husband Bruce however, who performs that with an old Bridgeport used only for that purpose.
    But speaking of bridges, the one involving Joel burned down a few years back.
    He also got involved building Chase actions, along with a guy by name of Chase, in i think a place called Website, i mean Texas.
    But i guess they didnt measure up to his high standards, because he is now building actions under the brand of Terminus, from a location in Harrisburg Pa.
    Which i think also has bedrooms, a couple bathrooms, a rec room, and a kitchen.
    With his busy schedule, id think he gave up his gig as an investigator with Liberty Mutual insurance co. a long while ago.
    Aint the internet just wonderfull?

Thanks all for your replies. The rifle will be for hunting. It needs to be as light as possible. I have the bolt boxed up to send off and be fluted (bolt body) and I have a lighter weight bolt handle and knob to install when that's done.

Ok, so as I stated in the OP, neither Boyd's nor B&C make a center feed long action Savage stock with blind mag and heavy barrel channel. It's not the magazine conversion I'm worried about, it's the fact that those stagger feed stocks are not going to have holes for the action screws that match up with my 116 action.

I suppose the answer to the question I posed is NO, there isn't a gunsmith that anyone knows of who inlets from blanks other than the lady whose business burned down.

I did contact Russos Stocks and inquired about what I wanted in either a 116 or Target action inlet. We'll see if the site is still viable. I don't blame him for going into the insurance racket. They get to charge what they want and people are forced to pay.

As I was about to give up, I saw the answer in your posts. I can do this, but not easily with the action I have. I'm going to have to get an old stagger feed action. I know where there is a couple of old 7 Mags in the old 110E or some variation thereof. I have a .473" long action bolt head already.

I am actually very familiar with the Savage short action capabilities. I have built a .284 before and made the mistake of using a new model 110 action from a WSM caliber, BBR. Guess what? The firing pin assembly is completely different, and try as I might, no combination of bolt head and baffle would yield anywhere near the correct firing pin protrusion length. It was either way long or too short to exit the hole in the bolt head. Wound up going the long route and shearing it off in sections with a Dremel and reshaping it with a file. Worked great. I installed PTG T-handle bottom metal and used a 7-round WSM AICS magazine made of steel so I could bend the lips in the right amount to hold the. 500" 284 case making it an 8-round mag. The HS Precision stock had to be milled to accept the PTG metal. Once we ate through the aluminum block completely, it was a perfect drop in. The PTG well easily replaced the sides of the aluminum block for rigidity and support. The AICS mag gave me a little more length, but when loaded with the gun's favorites, the 180 and 195 grain Berger Hunting bullets, it was a single feed only proposition. The Bergers shot best exactly touching the lands of the 26" Varmint weight McGowen. I got 2945 ft/s with the 180 grain Bergers with sub-1/2 MOA groups from that gun. Coated it Desert Sand with black specs on the Kahntrol high-discharge brake and barrel nut, which matched the tan with black web HS stock. It took most of a year to get a top sear in to convert the thing from that abysmal BBR to the top style. I used an oversized ground recoil lug and squared nut. Not sure how much good they did since I didn't bother having the action trued, but it was sure a great combination at completion. Then I wound up selling it a year later because I couldn't stand the weight. I took it to Kansas to use on coyotes if I had time after my primitive whitetail bucket list hunt, but after the deer hunt, I wasn't about to try carrying that thing over the tall sage and short cacti of SW KS, although the top of a Mesa would have been the ideal place to set up prone. Anyways, the shot action mags aren't long enough for the .284 Winchester maxed out with heavy Bergers.

I hate having to buy a gun just to take it apart and use the action when I have an action, but it will be much cheaper than hiring a competent gunsmith to whittle me a stock out.

Bradley Hunt just south of Winnemucca, NV use to do outstanding work on inletting from MPI blanks. He made me an ultralight 6.5x47L from a Weatherby Mini-Mark V action used in some of their varmint guns (6-lug). He also inlet a Manners for a Pierce action, and several others for Rem. 700s. That's a skill that's gone the way of the wooden (and fiberglass) stock, I suppose. It's all hand-laid carbon fiber or Kevlar drop-ins now. Bradley died of a bad strain of flu in late 2013. 35 years of gunsmithing knowledge went with him.

I'll post back if I hear from Russo. Otherwise, I'll go pick up the old stagger feed 7 mag when I get a chance.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Basic Member

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 110Wonder View Post

Ok, so as I stated in the OP, neither Boyd's nor B&C make a center feed long action Savage stock with blind mag and heavy barrel channel. It's not the magazine conversion I'm worried about, it's the fact that those stagger feed stocks are not going to have holes for the action screws that match up with my 116 action.

The action screw spacing is the same on all Savage long action receivers - 110/111/112/114/or 116 Staggered feed or Center feed actions.

https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...Action-Lengths

Even if you can't get a heavy barreled inlet from Boyds, it only takes a short amount of time to open the barrel channel up with a piece of pipe and sandpaper. I've done it with a Boyds stock on my LH 12 FLVSS and also a factory stock when I installed a heavy barrel on my 93 GL 22 Magnum. There's plenty of wood left in the stocks.

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    I guess Joel must be being kept very busy now days, what with building all those stocks plus all those Terminus actions. For a number of years Joels stocks originated in a shop operated by a very nice lady by name of Gerry. Gerry has a duplicating machine in her shop and lots of stock patterns hanging on the walls. She is very good creating the stocks from a blank with the duplicator, and the final finish product is a real work of art. She leaves the inletting to her husband Bruce however, who performs that with an old Bridgeport used only for that purpose. But speaking of bridges, the one involving Joel burned down a few years back. He also got involved building Chase actions, along with a guy by name of Chase, in i think a place called Website, i mean Texas. But i guess they didnt measure up to his high standards, because he is now building actions under the brand of Terminus, from a location in Harrisburg Pa. Which i think also has bedrooms, a couple bathrooms, a rec room, and a kitchen. With his busy schedule, id think he gave up his gig as an investigator with Liberty Mutual insurance co. a long while ago. Aint the internet just wonderfull?
    ...a senior with google fu. I am indeed impressed. You forgot to mention him being a veteran and working as a special agent for the PA attorney generals office. I have not verified this but I have read he was making stocks within the last 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
    The action screw spacing is the same on all Savage long action receivers - 110/111/112/114/or 116 Staggered feed or Center feed actions.

https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...Action-Lengths

Even if you can't get a heavy barreled inlet from Boyds, it only takes a short amount of time to open the barrel channel up with a piece of pipe and sandpaper. I've done it with a Boyds stock on my LH 12 FLVSS and also a factory stock when I installed a heavy barrel on my 93 GL 22 Magnum. There's plenty of wood left in the stocks.
    Good info the spacing. I've always been told they were different. That helps, and I'm showing the extent of my ignorance.

There IS plenty of wood, BUT when I sand a sporter Boyd's stock down to fit a Criterion heavy sporter that's only .685" at the muzzle, I'm about 20 thousands or so above the nut holding the sling swivel stud on. There's no way that could be sanded down to fit a varmint contour barrel to where it would free float without either sanding through half the sling stud nut or removing the sling stud altogether. I suppose it would be possible to remove it and replace it with a wood screw type stud if I cut it off some with a Dremel or small chop saw. Either way, not ideal. Boyd's glues the pads on, too, which I dislike, because I can't take the pad off to drill the stock out without tearing it up. If you guys know of a way to manage that, please let me in on it. I could remove a lot of weight if I could just unscrew the pad and access the wood at the end.

Obviously I don't know close to much, but I do know where I've made mistakes, and I don't want to spend more money to repeat the same failures if I can avoid it.

How do you manage the front sling swivel when you sand a sporter contour Boyd's to a target contour?

Thanks for sending me that. I was looking at it last night before I got on the forum to ask. They re very specific in what they do and do not deviate (customize). None are in the configuration I need and they look like they'd all weigh about 20 pounds give or take an ounce. The lightest one of the bunch isn't too bad, but about a pound plus heavier than I'd want on a lightweight carbon-barreled walkabout gun. They are pretty, though, if you just want to replace your factory stock in certain models.

@Smokey262

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 110Wonder View Post
    Good info the spacing. I've always been told they were different. That helps, and I'm showing the extent of my ignorance.

There IS plenty of wood, BUT when I sand a sporter Boyd's stock down to fit a Criterion heavy sporter that's only .685" at the muzzle, I'm about 20 thousands or so above the nut holding the sling swivel stud on. There's no way that could be sanded down to fit a varmint contour barrel to where it would free float without either sanding through half the sling stud nut or removing the sling stud altogether. I suppose it would be possible to remove it and replace it with a wood screw type stud if I cut it off some with a Dremel or small chop saw. Either way, not ideal. Boyd's glues the pads on, too, which I dislike, because I can't take the pad off to drill the stock out without tearing it up. If you guys know of a way to manage that, please let me in on it. I could remove a lot of weight if I could just unscrew the pad and access the wood at the end.

Obviously I don't know close to much, but I do know where I've made mistakes, and I don't want to spend more money to repeat the same failures if I can avoid it.
    None of my Boyds stocks had glued on recoil pads. I always order my stocks unfinished from Boyds because their finishes don't meet my standards. I don't know how you could even get close to the sling stud when opening up the barrel channel, none of mine are.
    This is the LH thumbhole stock that I put on my 6.5-06 build. This is also a Center feed stock, that I modified the blind magazine inlet on in order for a Staggered feed action to fit in. A Center feed magazine inlet isn't as long as a Staggered feed.

You can see how much shorter the blind mag inlet is here - So if you went with the B&C stock for a Staggered feed action, you would just need to install some shims for a Center feed blind magazine to work in it.

This stock was also for a Sporter contour barrel, I had to open it up for the Light Varmint contour barrel.

Basic Member
    ...a senior with google fu. I am indeed impressed. You forgot to mention him being a veteran and working as a special agent for the PA attorney generals office. I have not verified this but I have read he was making stocks within the last 2 years.
    Well as you know, there are those of us who (produce) things, and then there are those of us who actually make things.
    And there could be a few who might do a little of both, at least to a point, and so long as it dosent require any special equipment and the ability to use it.
    Thats the main difference between builders and producers.
    Besides learning to build, and not later burn bridges.

Well as you know, there are those of us who (produce) things, and then there are those of us who actually make things. And there could be a few who might do a little of both, at least to a point, and so long as it dosent require any special equipment and the ability to use it. Thats the main difference between builders and producers. Besides learning to build, and not later burn bridges.
    Yeah, I understand that completely even if that concept wasn't part of my professional life. And that does enlighten me on your perspective with regards to your previous post. However, I have no problem with the process. Look how manufacturers are now catering to the homesmith by producing actions, triggers, barrels and stocks designed to be assebled in the mancave. Over time, some guys get good at building their own from ground up. There are several on here that I respect as both shooters and builders(and re-loaders). Will you get top tier product? Rarely but it is nice to put something together and shoot < 1 moa out to 1K. When I look at some of the stocks Joel has "sold", I am impressed. And the people who actually made it are even more impressive. Now he is making his own actions, not a big deal with the new cnc's. The bridges he has burned is consequential as it makes you wonder if you will be the next. Other than that it is the American way regrettably. Most successful people have burned a few bridges as have some absolute failures. Dave Kiff keeps popping up in my head. But so does Chad Dixon.

Basic Member
    Yeah, I understand that completely even if that concept wasn't part of my professional life. And that does enlighten me on your perspective with regards to your previous post. However, I have no problem with the process. Look how manufacturers are now catering to the homesmith by producing actions, triggers, barrels and stocks designed to be assebled in the mancave. Over time, some guys get good at building their own from ground up. There are several on here that I respect as both shooters and builders(and re-loaders). Will you get top tier product? Rarely but it is nice to put something together and shoot < 1 moa out to 1K. When I look at some of the stocks Joel has "sold", I am impressed. And the people who actually made it are even more impressive. Now he is making his own actions, not a big deal with the new cnc's. The bridges he has burned is consequential as it makes you wonder if you will be the next. Other than that it is the American way regrettably. Most successful people have burned a few bridges as have some absolute failures. Dave Kiff keeps popping up in my head. But so does Chad Dixon.
    Well does it make any difference as to whoes garage the CNC is parked in ? lol
    Mind you i have no issues with (Entrepanour’s).
    For the most part.
    At least the honest ones.

Well does it make any difference as to whoes garage the CNC is parked in ? lol Mind you i have no issues with (Entrepanour’s). For the most part. At least the honest ones.
    There must be some history there.

Basic Member
    Truman Wilson in Delta CO. 970-874-3030 if he isn’t dead yet. He can stock anything. He doesn’t do wood, McMillan products for the most part. Also Tom Meredith in Ft Wayne, Indiana is a top-notch stocker.

Basic Member
    You could also try Richards Micro Fit stocks.
    Available either finished or unfinished.
    If bought unfinished they are a bit rough and require work.
    But when finished up they are very nice.

Also, Gerrys shop did not burn down and is still in operation.
    You simply miss read my post which is understandable.
    717 349 4077

Also, Gerrys shop did not burn down and is still in operation. You simply miss read my post which is understandable. 717 349 4077
    I don't remember anything about a shop burning down. I do remember someone saying bridges got burned. Ill mark that up to cognitive decline. :)
    Thats the main difference between builders and producers. Besides learning to build, and not later burn bridges.