Thread: Savage Model 29 Lifter Spring

Savage Model 29 Lifter Spring

I know these buggers are unobtanium, but does anyone know of something else that will work--A plain Model 29, not A or B??

Go back 50+ years and I spent 4 summers working at a boardwalk shooting galary on the Jersey shore. We used model 29s and were constantly replacing lifter springs. My last summer was 1969 and my boss gave me a Model 29 as a going away present. "Just needs a lifter spring", said he and handed me one which I dutifully hung from the trigger guard and kind of forgot about it. Fast forward 50+ years and I find out it's a spring for an A (or B?) model.

Best I remember it's a pretty simple wire "V" spring, not the coil spring I have. Is there a work-around anyone has come up with?

Thanks everyone!

Basic Member
    There were at least three different lifter designs used oi just the Model 29's (the 29-A&B's are very different), from your description you must have a late model 29. The spring is just a V as you said and it goes inside the lifter which is made from three pieces riveted or spot welded together with another movable spring loaded piece in the middle. I would try to make one from piano wire, you may have to try a couple different sizes to find one that has the right amount of spring. It's been a long time since I've had one apart but I think they may have actually been made from narrow flat spring stock, maybe one could be made from a bobby pin. The Model 29 wasn't one of Savage's best designs.

Thanks for the reply !
    I do believe mine is a Model 29, not a 29A or 29B, as it fits the descriptions and photos I've been able to find. Perhaps I'll be able to find a local gunsmith willing to put some time into it.

Cheers (and thanks again)