Thread: Converting my pre-66 110 to a Timney trigger

Team Savage

Converting my pre-66 110 to a Timney trigger

When I made the decision to keep, and update, the 1960 110 I found on Black Friday, I new I would probably want to install a new trigger system. The original trigger system is adjustable to some degree (sear engagement), and polishing the sear and trigger surfaces did help bring it from about 7 lbs. to 4 lbs., but it was still pretty inconsistent and the safety was rough and only two positions.

So off I went down the rabbit hole, figuring out 1) is it possible, 2) what parts do I need and 3) do I need to modify any of those parts.

The first thing I did was check and see if the mounting holes were the same (where the rear of the trigger hanger fits into the tang and the pin holes fit through the receiver) as the newer models. They were. I was able to remove the brand new accutrigger assembly from my LW Storm and install it on the old 110 and make it work. At that point, I knew it would be possible.

But there were other considerations. Where to find a sear? Will the new top bolt release sear fit without bending the release lever? Which safety do I need? Which aftermarket trigger? (Rifle Basix, Timney, Sav-1 or Sav-2?). I originally ordered a Rifle Basix trigger because it came with the hanger hardware so that was one less thing I'd have to source. However, when I installed it (using the borrowed bottom bolt release sear from my LW Storm), I realized their hanger interfered with the stock and my stock wasn't inletted to accommodate it.

Not wanting to inlet my stock if I could help it, I called Rifle Basix and they were great. Sent it back and they refunded my money in no time. Then I ordered a Timney Savage 110/Stevens 200 trigger, which has the shorter back end. The Timney "accutrigger" replacement has the longer back end, and it too would require inletting the stock to fit.

The safety was pretty easy. There are plenty of post-66 but pre-accutrigger safetys available on the used market and on FeeBay. I found one with the little spring and screw that holds it on, for about $20. It works really well and is an improvement over the factory safety because it's smoother, holds it's position, and has a 3-position feature that allows me to operate the bolt with the safety still engaged.

Now for the sear... I'm not gonna lie. Sourcing a Savage top bolt release sear has been a real pain in the backside. Neither of my local FFL's (who are usually great to work with) were very motivated to talk to Savage CS, go through the menus, figure out which part number to ask for, and then order a $12 part for me. I eventually gave up on them and found an older top bolt release sear at Hog Island Gun Parts, and it arrived yesterday (after spending a week under the Austin ice cap). I also found a complete post-66 trigger assembly and top bolt release sear for sale on FeeBay, so as a backup I bought it too.

When the Hog Island sear arrived, I realized the post-66 top bolt release sears have a longer lever than the pre-66 sears. The pre-66 actions, like the later ones, have the milled cut-out on the side of the action for the sear bolt release lever, but the milled area is not as long as the post-66 actions. This is probably why everything I've read about converting these old rifles to newer triggers said this isn't "supposed" to be possible. Well, that was nothing my Dremel cutoff wheel, a file and a bluing pen couldn't fix. So in about 10 minutes, I cut about 1/2 the length of the thumb pad off that sear, filed the edges smooth, and shaped the underside of that lever arm to clear the cutout in my stock that lies next to the milled flat area on the receiver. And voila! The sear now works beautifully. I actually like how the shorter thumb lever looks on the rifle too. It's not as obvious as the traditional top bolt release thumb lever.

The last pieces I'm waiting for are the hanger and trigger pin I ordered from Numrich. The shipping from them has been incredibly slow through all this weather. If I get that in today, I'll finish the trigger job and post detailed pictures of everything here.

So far, it's been a fun - if not slightly frustrating -project to keep me busy on these long post-hunting season nights. It's also given me something to do while waiting on the new 7x57 barrel for this rifle.

So with any luck, I'll have a brand new Timney installed in the old girl, breaking at a crisp 3# for hunting. Stay tuned!

Team Savage

I'm looking forward to your follow up!

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    I'm looking forward to your follow up!
    I'll get a few pictures uploaded tomorrow. That's when I'm expecting the last few parts to arrive (finally).

Trimming that sear thumb tab went slick as a whistle. When I first realized it wouldn't fit without some modification, I was pretty disappointed and spent the next 2 hours researching, measuring, thinking and planning. Then 10 min. with my Dremel cutoff wheel and a file and it fits like it was designed that way. LOL Man was I relieved it was that easy!

Team Savage
    Here is a pic of the shortened thumb pad on the sear.

Team Savage

Simple and quick, both great attributes.

Team Savage
    Well, the hanger and trigger pin I ordered from Numrich on the 8th is still hung up in Austin with the USPS. I had a hunch this would happen so 3 days ago I bought a complete post-66 trigger/sear group off FeeBay just as insurance. It will be delivered on Friday. At this point, my money is on the FeeBay parts to arrive before the Numrich parts that were mailed 17 days ago. Unbelievable.

Once I get it together, I'll post pics. Then all I'll have to do is find a way to wait another month for the barrel. The waiting is gonna kill me. LOL

Team Savage
    Finally (after 17 days) got my order from Numrich in, with my trigger bracket (hanger), sear pin, sear spring and sear spring bushing. Everything was going well until I tried to ever-so-slightly bend the rear tab on the trigger bracket, because the two ears with holes wouldn't "quite" reach the hole in the receiver. And "PING!" - I snapped the little tab off. ******. Numrich has plenty of them at $6.50 a pop, but fortunately I got impatient and ordered a whole post-66 trigger assembly - complete with bracket - from FeeBay that is supposed to arrive today (we'll see about that). So I get a 2nd chance. I won't be trying to bend that tab again!

I'm getting the impression that these very early 110's were hand milled to not-so-exacting specifications. I can take the hanger/bracket off my brand new Lightweight Storm and it fits fine. But these older brackets, including the one that came with the rifle, are damn hard to get installed.

Oh well, I'll try again and post up the results once it's together. This rifle is teaching me patience if nothing else. It's also confirming that I have no business working on anyone's guns but my own - for a number of reasons. :D

Team Savage
    Okay, finally got 'er dun. But not without a few more surprises and frustrations. ha, ha. I guess that just makes a successful project that much sweeter.

I did finally have to remove some material in the stock. However, it was hidden under the trigger guard and I was okay with that because you can't see it once the trigger guard is installed. The sear engagement screw on the Timney hung down just low enough to make contact with the unmilled area of the trigger slot. But that was easy enough to fix.

Team Savage
    A few more photos. The safety is a big upgrade. Very solid, affirmative three positions.

Team Savage
    Got to wondering just now if I could reach the trigger pull weight adjustment screw with the rifle assembled. Lo and behold, I can. It's at least as easy to reach as the ones in my Tikka rifles were. And certainly easier than an Accutrigger spring. :D

Got it adjusted down nicely to just under 3 lbs. Most times it broke between 2 lbs. 13 oz. and 2 lbs. 15 oz. which will be perfect for a hunting rifle. Dropped it on the recoil pad a few times and banged on the stock a few times without the safety on, and I couldn't get it to fire. All in all, this looks pretty good so far.

Team Savage

Project complete, time to put it to work.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    Project complete, time to put it to work.
    Just need a barrel now! :D This wait for my 7x57 barrel is killing me!

Basic Member
    Maybe you covered this in a different thread... who did you find that would do that style of barrel for you?

Team Savage
    McGowan. They said "no problem, just ship in the old barrel and we'll match it." No extra charge either.

Team Savage
    Been dry firing it for a few days now and it's settled into almost exactly 3 lbs. after a few more adjustments of the pull weight tension screw. MAN is it nice to be able to adjust the pull weight without having to remove the action from the stock! What a bonus that is. No detectable creep and very consistent according to my scale. But the proof will be on the target once the new barrel arrives. Can't wait!

Team Savage
    So as a result of this project, I now have a pile of parts from pre and post-66 trigger assemblies. If anyone needs some parts for those older rifles, PM me. I probably have what you need.

I also have a top bolt release sear for both pre-66 and post-66 110's if someone really needs one.