Thread: Experts, I need advice on a long action to short action cartridge swap.

Experts, I need advice on a long action to short action cartridge swap.

Experts, I converted a older model 110 action 30-06 to a 22-250.
    from what I understand during the late 80’s/early 90’s rifles (which this one is I believe) were all long action rifles.
    this rifle shoots well since the barrel change, but it does not feed rounds.
    what parts do I need to make this work, and where do I purchase them?
    thank you all in advance, I appreciate it.-Brent

Basic Member
    I am no expert but I have done what you are trying to do. what is your magazine set up?

What is the cartridge doing when you try to chamber it? I had a stagger feed long action barreled in 22-250 and the shorter rounds fed fine from my original long action magazine.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doosky View Post
    Experts, I converted a older model 110 action 30-06 to a 22-250.
    from what I understand during the late 80’s/early 90’s rifles (which this one is I believe) were all long action rifles.
    this rifle shoots well since the barrel change, but it does not feed rounds.
    what parts do I need to make this work, and where do I purchase them?
    thank you all in advance, I appreciate it.-Brent
    Find sharpshooter or robinhood.. they seem to be the savage experts.. im sure there are others but I don't think I've seen either of them give a wrong answer..
    Personally I would look at the feed pitch in the mag or blind mag..feed issues were real common at first for 22-250 in the AR world because of the sharp shoulder angle.. can't promise the answer is there but seems like a good place to start.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Thank you Ted, but you give me way too much credit. There are many on here with more knowledge than I. Fred(sharpshooter) is the Savage guy. Jim Baker is the forum owner and is knowledgeable also. I just poke my head in there a lot.

All I can offer is that there was a time period that All Savage110's had the long action screw spacing as well a other dimensions the same. If I can recall, the ones built for short action cartridges had a short action magazine cut out rather than using the long action one. Hopefully the guys with more experience with those actions will chime into to agree or correct what I stated

Obviously a 22-250 will feed better from a 22-250 magazine. Fear not, As ted says you should be able to manipulate the lips to help. I would think that if you went too fast and or maybe...too slow you could aggravate the issue. It all depends on where the problem manifests itself, as in not entering the chamber as the bullet is not aligned or if it is hitting and jamming prior to that.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Thank you Ted, but you give me way too much credit. There are many on here with more knowledge than I. Fred(sharpshooter) is the Savage guy. Jim Baker is the forum owner and is knowledgeable also. I just poke my head in there a lot.

All I can offer is that there was a time period that All Savage110's had the long action screw spacing as well a other dimensions the same. If I can recall, the ones built for short action cartridges had a short action magazine cut out rather than using the long action one. Hopefully the guys with more experience with those actions will chime into to agree or correct what I stated

Obviously a 22-250 will feed better from a 22-250 magazine. Fear not, As ted says you should be able to manipulate the lips to help. I would think that if you went too fast and or maybe...too slow you could aggravate the issue. It all depends on where the problem manifests itself, as in not entering the chamber as the bullet is not aligned or if it is hitting and jamming prior to that.
    I know I specialize in AR10/15s but it does seem you and sharpshooter know your savages.. ill throw out guesses based on experience if I have it but typically when it comes to savage .. especially spanning multiple gens I definitely would have to take my hat off to you and sharpshooter:) and I definitely don't mean to discount others in here you mentioned, not my intent at all, I just know when I've referenced you and sharpshooters knowledge base with friends of mine that own savages (and I own a couple hehehehe) you guys are always on the specs

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Team Savage

The likely issue is the stagger feed blind mag, follower, and bolt baffle were all for 30-06 family cartridges vs 308 family. Tweaking feed lips may, or may not, improve feeding. Here's a FAQ topic showing stagger feed mag differences...

https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...Feed-Magazines

Stagger feed blind mag parts are getting difficult to locate.

I have a factory long action 22-250 with the staggered blind box magazine. The friend I bought it from was frustrated with feeding issues and "gave up". It did take some filing, bending and tweaking but I got it to feed reliably. It is important to use a smooth cadence when feeding a cartridge though. The factory bolt has a limiter on it so you can't pull it back all the way, thus making it a short stroke.

I also have a newer center feed that never gives me issues.

Basic Member
    There is about three different configurations that he COULD have, He is a first time poster and has not came around lately. If he has a centerfeed blind box I could have helped. But WE don't know what he has so it is a mute point until he comes back.

Team Savage

You have a point, but he did say "late 80’s/early 90’s rifles (which this one is I believe)" so I wouldn't have offered commentary for rifles manufactured well after that generation.

Like you said, since he hasn't been back, further discussion, suggestions, etc. is moot.

I found this thread while looking for answers to the same question the OP had.

I have a Savage 110 that started life as a 270, staggered feed and blind mag box. I have rebarreled it to .22-250 Ackley. It doesn't feed very well with standard 22-250 ammo. I am not sure if it will improve after fire forming and reloading the improved cartridge. Are there any parts I could replace to help with feeding? Any help would be great.
    Thanks
    Marcus