Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E Lock or dial safe

E Lock or dial safe

I’m having a hard time deciding on a dial lock or e-lock safe. Shopping in the price range of Liberty/Cannon. Opinions please!

Basic Member
    Dial. Some elocks can be deleted with a magnet

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

My main concern is that the key pad dies on me and I can’t get in the safe if there’s no back up key.

Basic Member
    I suppose problems can happen with either type. That said, in about 20 years ive never had any issues with my manually dialed safes, but have several friends who have with the electronic type. No doubt however that pushing buttons is faster and easier.
    Many safes are simply branded names and actually made by other companies.
    Combinations on manually controlled locks can be changed pretty easily and for very little cost.
    It might require a company approved technition however in order not to violate a warranty.
    As a rule, the key that unlocks the dial on the manually operated ones is a master type key that will fit every safe built by that company. So losing that key is no big deal. Its also not really necessary to lock the dial, but it does offer another layer of security.

Have had a Liberty manual keyed dialed for over 20 yrs. and NO problems.

Team Savage

Liberty is made by Liberty, happened to be one of the three brands I narrowed my selection to. Discussed lock options with local seller and the biggest pro for electrical vs mechanical lock was quick entry, valueless feature for me so chose the S&G keyed dial.

Basic Member
    I have a Liberty Colonial with the S&G e Lock. I like the quick entry of the e Lock but do have some concerns about a failure. I may inquire with the dealer about having it changed. Has anyone ever done this?

Basic Member
    I have a fortress safe I bought over 20 years ago (sometime in the late 90's). It has a dial lock. While I have never had any issues with it, it is very slow to open.
    Around 2016 I bought a new larger safe from a local sporting goods store. It is a champion medalist. It came with a S&G e-lock. The safe company had a extended lifetime warranty you could buy that would cover the lock and safe. If the lock ever failed, you can contact them and they would come out, and open the safe and repair the safe and lock. So that gives me a piece of mind.
    It is so much easier and quicker to open. I keep my most commonly used guns in it, and the older smaller safe with the dial lock, I keep my guns that I do not shoot as often.

I say if you get a e-lock, make sure the company (both the lock and safe) are reputable and have good warranties. See if they offer one like I mentioned above that will cover opening and repairing the safe if it does fail. I think I paid something like $100 for the extended warranty.

I'm a real Luddite when it comes to [what I would consider] safety equipment. Manual/analog would be my choice.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

I bought a cannon safe with an e-lock but it seemed every time I needed to get in it the battery was dead. I bought a dial lock and installed it myself for $45.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    It's pretty easy to switch between dial and electronic locks. The local lock shop will switch from dial to E-lock for $200 (and supply the new lock). I prefer the old dial style... and if you are willing to do some reading up on it- it is not hard to switch them to a combination that is easier for you to remember. They are much slower- so I would recommend some type of a rapid release system for storing at least one.

Team Savage

That brings up an interesting question, how quickly would you need to access what's in your safe?

With stopwatch feature on my phone, and using the same hand to push start/stop button and turn dial, it took 19.6secs to open my safe.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    That brings up an interesting question, how quickly would you need to access what's in your safe?

With stopwatch feature on my phone, and using the same hand to push start/stop button and turn dial, it took 19.6secs to open my safe.

Great reason to keep a self defense weapon out of the safe when at home.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    For sure.

Definitely prefer something closer and quicker to access for a home defense gun, whether it's a handgun or a long gun. Something just big enough to keep your firearm of choice in by the bedside with a biometric or RFID lock seems to be the best option. Hornady and Vaultek both offer some good options along those lines.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    I have both dial and e-lock and no issues with either kind the last 10-12 years. I do like the ease of getting into the e-lock.
    That said, I am sure both can wear out dependent on the amount of use.
    My local sporting goods dealer has had to replace 2 dial locks on his safe ( guessing in about a 15 year span).
    But he opens his safe 6 days a week.
    I think it will be personal preference that decides which one.

Now I have The Liberty Colonial 23, the "simplest" of the Liberty models. If you're looking for a safe that can resist fires, burglary attempts, and other disasters, the Colonial 23 is the perfect choice.
    work time - employee monitoring software

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Am I the only person that carries while at home? Or at least one with in reach while working in the garage and such.

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Orezona View Post
    Am I the only person that carries while at home? Or at least one with in reach while working in the garage and such.
    No.

Team Savage
    no

I used to have a normal lock on my gunsafe but I had lost the key 3 or 4 times in a row, gladly I was able to call a locksmith cheam to fix this issue of mine but it took me a lot of money that time and I thought it's going to be cheaper to install a e Lock. Now I have Liberty Colonial with the S&G e Lock. Much easier to access and I do not have to use a key which means I'll not loose it

Quote Originally Posted by Orezona View Post
    No. And, as I have no children, not all of the 50 yard solutions are under house arrest. When the chickens are fussing at 2:00AM I don't want to screw around with any added barriers.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpkiller View Post
    No. And, as I have no children, not all of the 50 yard solutions are under house arrest. When the chickens are fussing at 2:00AM I don't want to screw around with any added barriers.

When the grandkids are here I "sanitize" the 50yd solution.

Quote Originally Posted by ninner View Post
    I bought a cannon safe with an e-lock but it seemed every time I needed to get in it the battery was dead. I bought a dial lock and installed it myself for $45.

I didn't know this was possible. May I ask where you obtained the dial lock?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SirMike View Post
    I didn't know this was possible. May I ask where you obtained the dial lock?

They are available at many places. Here’s a no frills S&G 6730.
    https://www.amazon.com/Sargent-Green.../dp/B002EDF466

And there are several step by step videos on YouTube showing how to replace it quickly & painlessly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast