Thread: 22-250 Ackley on a 110 long Action

22-250 Ackley on a 110 long Action

Hello
    I am putting together a 22-250 Ackley for my dad on an old 110 that started life as a 270. I have the barrel headspaced and the barrel action fit to the stock. I'm having trouble with it feeding reliability with standard 22-250 ammo. I don't know if feeding will improve once I have fireformed brass. Does anyone have any suggestions for me with this rifle and getting to feed reliably?
    Thanks
    Marcus

Basic Member
    what type of magazine?

Is it center feed or stagger?
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Its an old staggered feed blind mag. Sorry, I should have mentioned that to start with.

Basic Member
    I don't know much about the stagger feed. However I built a 22-250 on a long action and had to use an Axis 22-250 mag in the blind box with the bottom plastic removed. I had to shim it up and forward. I also used a long baffle for the bolt to shorten the stroke. I would think it would work if you removed the box from your action but am not sure. Hang around help is on the way cause GaCop will know,

Quote Originally Posted by kwarw1 View Post
    I don't know much about the stagger feed. However I built a 22-250 on a long action and had to use an Axis 22-250 mag in the blind box with the bottom plastic removed. I had to shim it up and forward. I also used a long baffle for the bolt to shorten the stroke. I would think it would work if you removed the box from your action but am not sure. Hang around help is on the way cause GaCop will know,
    Ok, Thank you. Hopefully I can figure out a way to get it to feed. If not, I will be looking for a short action. :)
    Thanks
    Marcus

Basic Member
    The easiest way is to start out with a 22/250, then have the chamber changed to the AI version.
    Second option is to single feed the gun avoiding the magazine completely.
    Third option would be to send the gun to Fred and let him fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    The easiest way is to start out with a 22/250, then have the chamber changed to the AI version.
    Second option is to single feed the gun avoiding the magazine completely.
    Third option would be to send the gun to Fred and let him fix it.
    The first option was out due to having the donor rifle on hand being the Model 110 in 270.

The second option could work but this is a coyote rifle. Some follow up shots are expected and so a repeater is what I want.

As to the third option, who is Fred? If I can't get it working I'd consider sending it to get fixed.
    Thank you for your input. I hope I can get it working.

Basic Member
    Fred = Sharp Shooter Supply

Y might trying to fashion a block of wood to fit the rear of the magazine. It will need to block about 1/2" at the rear. You'll need to either cut the current follower to fit or get a short action follower. I built my 450 Bushmaster on an Axis receiver and had to block the mag in order to get the shorter round to feed.

Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    Y might trying to fashion a block of wood to fit the rear of the magazine. It will need to block about 1/2" at the rear. You'll need to either cut the current follower to fit or get a short action follower. I built my 450 Bushmaster on an Axis receiver and had to block the mag in order to get the shorter round to feed.
    I will give that a try. I will also fire form and see how they feed without the steep body angle of the standard 22-250 round.
    Thank you.

Well I talked to Fred at Sharp Shooters and he told me it was a no go unless I convert it over to centerfeed. I might just look for a short action and put the ol .270 back together. Thanks for everyones help and suggestions.
    Marcus

If/when you get a centerfeed short action, I've found a .308 family magazine box works much better for the 22-250 AI than the standard .22-250 box. This is due to the amount of body taper that the standard 22-250 has, necessitating it's own unique mag box.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    If/when you get a centerfeed short action, I've found a .308 family magazine box works much better for the 22-250 AI than the standard .22-250 box. This is due to the amount of body taper that the standard 22-250 has, necessitating it's own unique mag box.
    Thank you. My dad says he's good with the gun being a single shot for now. We'll see if he changes his mind. :)

A little follow up to the magazine and feeding issue. I bought a 308 Axis magazine that is a centerfeed. I pulled the bottom plate off the magazine. I then welded a couple pieces of metal to the front and back of the magazine to fit the mag box slots on the action. I'm not a very good welder on thin material but it worked. I hit it with the only paint I had on hand. Someday when the rifle gets bedded I'll repaint it black. It feeds perfect now though.

Quote Originally Posted by mcr-85 View Post
    A little follow up to the magazine and feeding issue. I bought a 308 Axis magazine that is a centerfeed. I pulled the bottom plate off the magazine. I then welded a couple pieces of metal to the front and back of the magazine to fit the mag box slots on the action. I'm not a very good welder on thin material but it worked. I hit it with the only paint I had on hand. Someday when the rifle gets bedded I'll repaint it black. It feeds perfect now though.

Basic Member
    Awesome!