Thread: Axis, 7.62x39, misfire

Axis, 7.62x39, misfire

Hi All,
    sorry, I did not find a discussion on similar issue anywhere on the forum, so I decided to start a new thread. If it was discussed already - I kindly ask you to point out.
    I bought Savage Axis II 7.62x39 on May 26, 2020, at Canadian Tire. I did not have enough time to check all available ammo but I found out that it has a problem firing surplus ammo which is mostly available for my budget. It misfires more than 50% of each pack of 20 I bought. I need to cock up twice per round to fire that ammo. It looks like the firing ping does not do the job it supposed to do. I checked Sellier & Bellot c.7.62X39 123 Grain Full Metal Jacket Cartridge ammo - it works perfectly, but it is expensive for me. Savage Technical Service says to send my rifle to Ontario for inspection but may be there is a cheaper solution to it? Did someone had this issue? How it was solved?
    Thank you for your time.

You likely need a stronger spring and possibly a few more mil firing pin protrusion, let’s see what the professional opinions are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, let's wait.
    I found a 2017's thread for Axis .223 (https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...-Misfire-Issue) it was solved in the way you said. Where is it possible to buy a "longer" pin for Axis?

Quote Originally Posted by LizCat View Post
    Thank you, let's wait.
    I found a 2017's thread for Axis .223 (https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...-Misfire-Issue) it was solved in the way you said. Where is it possible to buy a "longer" pin for Axis?
    You can mill or carefully file a little off the back of the bolt head to increase protrusion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had this same rifle since it first came out. Surplus ammo tends to miss, but it gets better as the rifle brakes in. Having said that there is a simpler fix. It was discussed in this 2019 tread: https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...spring-upgrade Comment #14 by Fullquiver "I had the same issue with my Axis XP in 308win.. I built a better washer (brass) for between the 2 springs and added a built spacer (.125") for in the cap of threaded bolt end thereby increasing spring preload.. I haven't had any issues since my efforts...

Btw the rifle had always struggled firing military rounds even when new.. Now it fires everything I feed it.."

How to add pictures?

I would bet that firing pin protrusion is fine. .035" is enough and normally they are .045"+ from the factory. The firing pin can only depress the primer <.025" before the metal meets metal and it can go no further.The primer stops the firing pin not the firing pin stop meeting the end of the bolt head. Therefore, anything more than what is needed to crush the primer compound only reduces firing pin travel which is counter productive. The only time you need to worry about the protrusion is when you change bolt heads on an adjustable firing pin.

See if this helps https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...ngs-and-washer

What you are experiencing is the firing pin does not have enough energy to ignite the priming compound. The primers on that particular ammo may have a thicker cup causing the "failure to fire". I don't have a fix for you unless you need to replace the spring. Shimming the spring may help, Correcting a large radius on the firing pin might help if that was the issue(not something to mess with unless you are ready to replace FUBAR'ed parts. Possibly even replacing the spring if that is a problem. I am going to differ this problem to fellas that have actually had and solved the problem. Fred Moreo or possibly Desh here https://deshind.com/boltbushing/
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    And it could be that there is just a bunch of grit inside the bolt that needs to be cleaned out.

If it were me I'd follow the firing pin spring 'fixes' and clean the bolt well in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    And it could be that there is just a bunch of grit inside the bolt that needs to be cleaned out.

If it were me I'd follow the firing pin spring 'fixes' and clean the bolt well in the process.

I agree it should be disassembled and looked at. Clean it up and remove any oil or lubrication, dirt and grime. He said it was a new rifle so lets hope it doesn't have any of that. You never know!

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    I would bet that firing pin protrusion is fine. .035" is enough and normally they are .045"+ from the factory. The firing pin can only depress the primer <.025" before the metal meets metal and it can go no further.The primer stops the firing pin not the firing pin stop meeting the end of the bolt head.
    See if this helps https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...ngs-and-washer

What you are experiencing is the firing pin does not have enough energy to ignite the priming compound. The primers on that particular ammo may have a thicker cup causing the "failure to fire". I don't have a fix for you unless you need to replace the spring. Shimming the spring may help, Correcting a large radius on the firing pin might help if that was the issue(not something to mess with unless you are ready to replace FUBAR'ed parts. Possibly even replacing the spring if that is a problem. I am going to differ this problem to fellas that have actually had and solved the problem. Fred Moreo or possibly Desh here https://deshind.com/boltbushing/

Thank you Robinhood, I will look at that page you sent a link for.
    I have shimmed my spring, but it looks like it was not enough. The bolt inside is clean and shining, I just wanted to share some pictures for others.
    What is bolt bushing?

Basic Member

Axis Misfires. Possible fix?

Close tolerances can slow firing pin speed. The round part can drag on the receiver. After firing, flush bolt/firing pin channel with WD 40. Or let Hoppe's No. 9 Powder Solvent run down the pin channel Before firing, lube with Break Free CLP, it contains Teflon.I do this on both Axis 223 & 6.5 Creedmoor.

Thank you, I will try. I disassembled my bolt, put two shims (brass spacers) under the back of the spring, but anyway, it still misfires one-two rounds out of the 20.

i built a custom axis in 7.62x39. Used a PTG bolt head. Its headspaced to be tight on wolf 123g HP as that is what i buy in bulk. Punches the primers deep, very deep. Not piercing them but has no trouble at all. So far im at exactly 150 rounds. (new build, lots of fun) That said if there are any measurements i could help with. let me know. Maybe the PTG bolt head is why it works so well. I have the older style axis 2. The firing pin spring is the one attached to the pin itself like in the photo below. (also primer strike photos)

That old style firing pin spring has been modified to reduce lift. Who's is that?

i was using a photo off google for the bolt style. Mine is the older style. So far all the rifles i read about with fail to fire issues are with the new style. That is why i mentioned it. As for the rifle im talking about. Its my rifle i just got together (still in the oem axis stock). Its an ongoing project.

still basic till i decide on a more comfortable upgrade to the stock, while keeping it as light as possible

?????!!!!!
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Somebody needs to go back and edit the post by removing all the text. That is code for a picture...it has happened to me

wtf